Safety in perth

Woj

A topic which might be useful, as surely people thinking about moving here with families will have that as one of their first questions on the list..

Have been going through the net and found something like this. Was this just a one off thing? Something the media maybe picked up and blew out of proportion? Or is it somethng that was or maybe still is a problem??

movie link below:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always said, if you want to have a fight in Perth, it won't be hard to find one.

If you want to get mugged, there's places you can go to get mugged.

Don't take adequate precautions and you may get burgled.

But by and large, and compared to many places in the world, it's not dangerous.

Some people are unlucky, but if you don't go looking for trouble in Perth you should be okay.

Hey Woj, this sort of thing is everywhere in the world, biker gangs, drug gangs, robbers, burglars etc take the necessary precautions that you do on a day to day basis and you'll be fine. These are the things we all do naturally to protect our family and property, lock the car, shut windows, don't go to the rough areas and if you do, lock your doors as you drive through.

This forum is great for asking where to live and where not to live and once you get to Perth and spend a bit of time there I'm sure you'll soon know where you don't want to go.

Jase

We live in a part of town that when we tell people they say "Oh, no, it's really bad there isn't it?"

People genuinely believe our lives are in danger, some even tell us not to go out after dark! It all depends on your perspective and to be honest, most it is sensationalised nonsense. We came from south London and I'll take any part of Perth at midnight over a lonely walk through Croydon every time, there's just no comparison.

I've always said, if you want to have a fight in Perth, it won't be hard to find one.

If you want to get mugged, there's places you can go to get mugged.

Don't take adequate precautions and you may get burgled.

But by and large, and compared to many places in the world, it's not dangerous.

Some people are unlucky, but if you don't go looking for trouble in Perth you should be okay.

I agree with this. I have been here 10 years and had my car broken into once during that time and some drama that happened as a result of my daughter being friends with some dodgy people. This could have happened anywhere in the world. I do know people who seem to just attract crap and as a result are very much of the 'half empty' psyche.

I have always been surprised about topics like this, I have been to Perth many times over many years and have always found it to be extremely safe, I did a stint in the Police and can spot trouble a mile away, but I have never experienced such issues, my wife used to be concerned about 'hooning' (I think thats what it was called locally) but I can genuinely say that we always felt extremely safe! I guess as earlier posts suggest, if you want trouble, you can usually go and find it!

Perth is one of the safest places to live in the world, I'm from Glasgow and have lived in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle and worked in various large cities in western Europe, I feel a lot safer walking down the streets of Perth than I have anywhere else, as other posters have said, if you want trouble you will find it.

Perth like many modern cities has a massive drug problem. So its inevitable it will have the associated crimes to go with it, breakins, mugging, fighting. Also, despite not seeing it myself, im told that the ' local locals ' of Australia are fond of booze and cause havoc as they cant handle it.

My suburb has a thread on social media at moment of 10year olds breaking into cars !

I've lived in the West Midlands all my life ( minus some years fighting for queen and country) and can honestly say I cant wait to go back to the UK as I never feared my house being broken into where I lived there like I do here. I'm quite sure many people on here wouldn't consider relocating to West Midlands, so I guess that doesn't say much for Perth.

I've just had a day in Freo and some people frown at that place, I'd up sticks this afternoon and go there no problems.

Or you could just move here be dazzled by the sun sea cars and cocktails and bury your head in the sand, theres lots of it.

Perth like many modern cities has a massive drug problem. So its inevitable it will have the associated crimes to go with it, breakins, mugging, fighting. Also, despite not seeing it myself, im told that the ' local locals ' of Australia are fond of booze and cause havoc as they cant handle it.

My suburb has a thread on social media at moment of 10year olds breaking into cars !

I've lived in the West Midlands all my life ( minus some years fighting for queen and country) and can honestly say I cant wait to go back to the UK as I never feared my house being broken into where I lived there like I do here. I'm quite sure many people on here wouldn't consider relocating to West Midlands, so I guess that doesn't say much for Perth.

I've just had a day in Freo and some people frown at that place, I'd up sticks this afternoon and go there no problems.

Or you could just move here be dazzled by the sun sea cars and cocktails and bury your head in the sand, theres lots of it.

Hi mate, sounds like you have had some bad experiences living here, I don't know where you live, but I have never read or heard of areas where 10 year olds are breaking into cars, drug addicts are breaking into houses, mugging people, fighting in the streets and folk are living in fear of their homes being broken into, you must have had really bad luck if it has made you desperate to move back to the West Midlands.

This has to be the most negative opinion I have ever read about Perth and most certainly not the same as mine or anyone else I know that lives here.

Like I said, my local area has a social media page that freely highlights all these problems.. the 10 year olds and car break- ins is very recent and ongoing and subject to police involvement so i'll let you know the outcome on that one, but at the moment i'll keep schtum for legal reasons. Before you start thinking I live in some run down area in the sticks, I live in one of the many suburbs mainly populated by Brits and Defence personel with many a house over the $1million dollar price tag with views of the Indian Ocean with more boats and 4x4's than the Australian Defence Force.

I read the papers and speak to locals, ozzie and pom and they all say the same as I've mentioned above and that's from locations as far as Mandurah and quinns rocks and Midland so I feel its a common problem not isolated to where I live. Maybe you live the other side of the train track or have lots of sand, I don't know.

Guest Guest6235
Hi mate, sounds like you have had some bad experiences living here, I don't know where you live, but I have never read or heard of areas where 10 year olds are breaking into cars, drug addicts are breaking into houses, mugging people, fighting in the streets and folk are living in fear of their homes being broken into, you must have had really bad luck if it has made you desperate to move back to the West Midlands.

This has to be the most negative opinion I have ever read about Perth and most certainly not the same as mine or anyone else I know that lives here.

I like the good points of Perth like other people but to say you've never heard of young children smashing car windows and breaking in, drug dealers breaking into homes etc etc.....gee whizz. I don't know whether it's people not wanting to admit to these things happening after making such a huge move or what, please don't tell me it's being positive as no matter how positive you are surely you cant help but hear of these things happening. One of the most recent spate of 10-12 year olds doing this to cars was a few weeks back in Ellenbrook. I don't mean the incident from 3 or 4 months back when two juveniles went driving round bricking around 20 cars but a more recent incident. It was even on 9 news a couple of weeks back about the losing battle the police have against the sharp rise in crime, mainly linked to the huge drug problem. I could go on about residents meetings I've been to when I've had chance to talk to the police but can't be bothered. Having said all that I will say just for the one or two that usually reply to me, had a great morning on the beach today.

I must admit though Tony AKA Plimthing, I would disagree with you about Freo![emoji16]

Edited by Guest6235

Guest Guest6235

Woj, have a look at other threads on this subject, burglaries and drugs over here etc. As mentioned above, the crime happens in all suburbs over here not just the bad ones and at a high rate. As said previously where I used to live was a nice suburb / village which only had a sprinkling of crime over a period of a few months and it was the council estates and inner city which had the majority of it. One or two of us on this thread could just copy and paste from previous threads I'm sure! People compare the Perth suburbs to Manchester, London, Newcastle etc which are big cities and totally not a true comparison. We were at a get together a few weeks back for 2 year olds party and we got speaking to another couple, they brought the subject up of crime and when they get in from a day out or whatever the first thing they do is look for smashed windows and check tv is still there.

Somebody actually brought this subject up on poms in perth FB page few months back and somebody loaded up the stats comparing it to London or England,can't remember now. It was a ratio thing between crime and population and WA was actually on a par if not higher.

Edited by Guest6235

I've noticed Facebook crime pages mentioning thefts because of car doors unlocked and garage doors left open, not that it's an excuse and theft is theft but there is a lot of lap tops and IPads etc from unlocked cars on driveways.

All a bit daft really and avoidable .

Which is why I mentioned taking steps to make yourself and your property as safe as possible. Although if someone wants to get in they will. I just find it rather sad there are people out there that walk around with a raincloud above their head expecting bad things to happen to them all the time. What a way to live life. Definitely a half empty mentality.

Which is why I mentioned taking steps to make yourself and your property as safe as possible. Although if someone wants to get in they will. I just find it rather sad there are people out there that walk around with a raincloud above their head expecting bad things to happen to them all the time. What a way to live life. Definitely a half empty mentality.

Could not agree more.

Maybe we just try and wind you up Arwen, it really works. Merry Christmas to you, your wife and family.

I was mainly referring to the person you met at a party who checks for damage when they get home. You don't wind me up, I just find it kid of sad you see things so differently to me. Worrying to much about things you can't change nor control. I hope you also had a nice Christmas.

PS. I'm a 45 year old separated woman without a wife ha ha :)

Guest Guest6235

No worries Arwen, sorry for that. I'll draw a line under it but continue to give my views. I'm just sorry that if anyone gives a view and nobody likes it then it degenerates into a scoring match. Do you live local to Currambine? We do honestly like our days / weekends out as a family but it's just that element that's been mentioned quite a bit by various people that we don't like and the amount it happens.

Edited by Guest6235

No worries Arwen, sorry for that. I'll draw a line under it but continue to give my views. I'm just sorry that if anyone gives a view and nobody likes it then it degenerates into a scoring match. Do you live local to Currambine? We do honestly like our days / weekends out as a family but it's just that element that's been mentioned quite a bit by various people that we don't like and the amount it happens.

Your views are valid, I have never said they aren't. I am not disputing the things you say as they do indeed happen but I cannot change them nor control them so I don't stress about them. That's all I am advising people to do as a contrast to your views.

I live in Connolly.

In the UK I used to enjoy the Sunday papers, I'd watch the C4 news in the evening and listen to local radio. I no longer do any of those things. News is fed to my devices from a number of sources and the vast majority of news is international and tends to be the major stories kind of stuff. I also take note of far more business news now, mainly because I now work for myself.

The local news I engage with tends to be the stuff I'm interested in or affects my business - arts/creative stuff.

This is significant because I'm simply not aware of a lot of the issues that others have raised in this thread. I've also not been a direct victim of any such incidents and therefore, from my point of view, my life is safe, positive and pleasurable.

I don't doubt that there are bad people doing bad things out there but it's outside my sphere of control and doesn't ping my radar. I may be blissfully ignorant but where's the harm in that? I'm happy, positive, confident and hope I project that onto others, particularly my children.

Of course we all have different views, everyone's perspective is valid and hopefully this forum provides balance and allows the reader to gain an understanding that Perth is indeed like anywhere else; not utopian, not a warzone, just another town with a heap of problems.

and sunshine, let's not forget that :smile:

I like the good points of Perth like other people but to say you've never heard of young children smashing car windows and breaking in, drug dealers breaking into homes etc etc.....gee whizz. I don't know whether it's people not wanting to admit to these things happening after making such a huge move or what, please don't tell me it's being positive as no matter how positive you are surely you cant help but hear of these things happening. One of the most recent spate of 10-12 year olds doing this to cars was a few weeks back in Ellenbrook. I don't mean the incident from 3 or 4 months back when two juveniles went driving round bricking around 20 cars but a more recent incident. It was even on 9 news a couple of weeks back about the losing battle the police have against the sharp rise in crime, mainly linked to the huge drug problem. I could go on about residents meetings I've been to when I've had chance to talk to the police but can't be bothered. Having said all that I will say just for the one or two that usually reply to me, had a great morning on the beach today.

I must admit though Tony AKA Plimthing, I would disagree with you about Freo![emoji16]

I've never heard of ten year olds breaking into cars here in Perth, I never said it wasn't happening, there is a lot of money in Perth and many people with disposable incomes and inevitably you get drugs and crime, but I don't put it on a level with the UK where the police lost control a very long time ago. I am a fairly recent immigrant to Perth and left a UK that is riddled with drugs and crime, Glasgow boasts one of the highest crime rates and violent attacks on young people in the world, we hear regular reports of teenagers stabbing one another to death because they come from different areas, several kids will spend xmas in hospital due to our alcohol and drugs culture which is and has been common place for many years, the police don't control the streets in the UK they limit the crime committed on them. Every major city on the planet is awash with drugs and the resultant crime, but I simply don't see the level here in Perth being comparable with the other major cities I have lived and worked in, I don't read the newspapers and find the news reporting here like channel 9 sensationalist, its car crash tv which I simply switch off, I get all the news I need online and without the "we're all gonna die" screaming from the reporters.

In short moving from here back to the west midlands is jumping from a wee frying pan into a big huge burning hot fire.

PS Merry Christmas to you and all yours.

Like I said, my local area has a social media page that freely highlights all these problems.. the 10 year olds and car break- ins is very recent and ongoing and subject to police involvement so i'll let you know the outcome on that one, but at the moment i'll keep schtum for legal reasons. Before you start thinking I live in some run down area in the sticks, I live in one of the many suburbs mainly populated by Brits and Defence personel with many a house over the $1million dollar price tag with views of the Indian Ocean with more boats and 4x4's than the Australian Defence Force.

I read the papers and speak to locals, ozzie and pom and they all say the same as I've mentioned above and that's from locations as far as Mandurah and quinns rocks and Midland so I feel its a common problem not isolated to where I live. Maybe you live the other side of the train track or have lots of sand, I don't know.

I live in Kinross mate, its far from perfect, but its relatively quiet and I've checked the crime stats for this area and its nothing to be overly concerned about.

Are you saying that ten year olds breaking into and stealing from cars to support their drug habits is commonplace and happens in all areas from Mandurah up to Quinns Rocks?

I don't know how long you have been away from the west midlands, but to want to move back there cos some kids broke into your car is madness, as for living in fear of your house being burgled, why not get a decent security system or better still a dog, you could even set it upon the wee :ssign1: breaking into the cars. :biggrin:

Merry Christmas mate.