case/luggage advice

pegg

Hey , so we really are pretty crap at this traveling lark …… And we need to buy new luggage for journey ahead.

We have been looking at luggage X which seem to have good reviews …… but then we where thinking should we get 4 x 30" or 2 x 30" and 2 x 26"…. ( i know we are hopeless )

So any advice on case's / luggage …please :o)

Hi Pegg, your post did make me laugh!! I am assuming that you want suitcases for the plane journey. While I cant help you on sizes as I suppose it depends on how much stuff you are bringing and whether you have the extra allowance for migrating. For us we flew with Emirates and were allowed 30KG per full paying Economy seat, rather generous we thought. Now from how I understood it it did not matter how many bags a person had as long as they did not collectively go over 30 kg. So really it depends how much stuff you got and whether you want to lug two smaller case about or one big one, we went for one big one each.

However, I would check your airlines website to see what they recommend and whether they charge for more than one piece of hold luggage, they may have dimensions on there. I know they have dimensions for hand luggage.

Hi Pegg, your post did make me laugh!! I am assuming that you want suitcases for the plane journey. While I cant help you on sizes as I suppose it depends on how much stuff you are bringing and whether you have the extra allowance for migrating. For us we flew with Emirates and were allowed 30KG per full paying Economy seat, rather generous we thought. Now from how I understood it it did not matter how many bags a person had as long as they did not collectively go over 30 kg. So really it depends how much stuff you got and whether you want to lug two smaller case about or one big one, we went for one big one each.

However, I would check your airlines website to see what they recommend and whether they charge for more than one piece of hold luggage, they may have dimensions on there. I know they have dimensions for hand luggage.

Yeah crazy post !!!

Cheers , think ive chosen the luggage ….. gosh none stop spending at the mo !

Pegg what airline are you travelling with? Some airlines allow you extra luggage if you are emigrating, but they have restrictions on weight per item which is usually 20 - 23kg. Personally I would rather deal with two cases that I could lift, than one that I couldn't....

Check with your airline?.

When our family emigrated in 1991 we travelled on Singapore Airlines. We were allowed 40 kg each... three of us and we had 6 cases that actually weighed 5 kilos over what we were allowed, but they let us off with that.... thank god for screaming kids at checkin! But on arrival in Perth at least I was able to lift each case and transfer it to a trolly or two with ease.

Let us know what you decide to go with???

Pegg what airline are you travelling with? Some airlines allow you extra luggage if you are emigrating, but they have restrictions on weight per item which is usually 20 - 23kg. Personally I would rather deal with two cases that I could lift, than one that I couldn't....

Check with your airline?.

When our family emigrated in 1991 we travelled on Singapore Airlines. We were allowed 40 kg each... three of us and we had 6 cases that actually weighed 5 kilos over what we were allowed, but they let us off with that.... thank god for screaming kids at checkin! But on arrival in Perth at least I was able to lift each case and transfer it to a trolly or two with ease.

Let us know what you decide to go with???

Where flying with emirates …. and think its 30kg per person, "luggage X " seems to be what where gonna go for in case department … but they are big to handle however wheels should make for easy gliding !

Pegg we flew emirates and you are allowed 30KG in one case, there is lifting limit by airport staff of Max 23KG which is what I think Rossmoyne is talking about, this was brought about by the unions after staff caused themselves injuries lifting heavy cases without knowing it. If you take a bag or case now that is over 23KG they write the weight on a big orange sticker and whack it on or dangle it of the handle.