The most important question regarding moving to Oz...

Stef Colquhoun

Hi all! Visa granted and move date set, flights booked and house packup arranged. Having done all that, I've realised that I have forgotten to check the most important thing, the answer to which may change our moving plans...

...can you get decent bacon in Australia???? :wink:

If it's anything like the American excuse for bacon then the move is off!! ;-)

Stef x

(PS: yes this is definitely just a taking the P post :-) )

Edited by Stef Colquhoun

Well, Stef, many would say unpack your bags because the bacon isn't the same as you're used to. I don't mind it .. after all, Australia is a different country and we never moved expecting it to be England with sunshine.

You may not like the sausages either

I've gotten used to th bacon, and don't like the English style bacon here. Hate the sausages too, and I've spent a lot of money on a lot of different ones lol! And agree the chicken is terrible, not a patch on an organic chicken from the UK with the yellow tinge. But, the pork, lamb and beef are all delicious! And two years in, we are used to missing lots of things from the UK, but wouldn't swap places for anything :)

Ps, being a northerner, I also miss a good pork pie ;)

I've gotten used to th bacon, and don't like the English style bacon here. Hate the sausages too, and I've spent a lot of money on a lot of different ones lol! And agree the chicken is terrible, not a patch on an organic chicken from the UK with the yellow tinge. But, the pork, lamb and beef are all delicious! And two years in, we are used to missing lots of things from the UK, but wouldn't swap places for anything :)

Ps, being a northerner, I also miss a good pork pie ;)

Our local IGA do Pork Pies and even the Gala pie with egg in ... they sell scotch eggs and black pudding too

The Bacon and Sausage debate will live forever!

We have been here 25 years now and are used to the bacon and sausages on offer, but I have to say that we are quite choosy about what we buy and don't go for the cheap supermarket version of either, as we didn't in UK.

McLoughlin make a good sausage... haven't seen their bacon yet, but will certainly keep my eye out for that. British Sausage Company also make a decent sausage. Coles and Woolies sausages are mostly beef and not pork, and are just rubbish and mostly fat and additives so we stay well away from them.

I have got used to the bacon here now, but the first meal I always have when I go back to UK for a holiday, is a Gammon Steak! Salivating just thinking about it.