Moving to Perth with a 15 Year old in Year 10 UK.. Advice needed

paul hayes

Hi. My family and I are scheduled to migrate to Perth in August. My eldest daughter (just turned 15) will have completed Year 10 in the UK which contributes to UK Year 11 GCSEs. Im really concerned that if i move her now to Oz and put her into Year 10 Oz for the final few months prior to year end at Xmas 14 that she is going to be disadvantaged by having to sit final exams to graduate at Oz Secondary school level, and miss out on doing GCSE's in the UK. I believe that the main examination years in WA are year 11 and 12 which determines whether kids go to Uni or not. Can anybody assist me in sourcing information that might help in terms of pre studying for oz year 10 exams or set my mind at rest a little if oz year 11 and 12 will cater for the final qualifications ? Many thanks for any advice offered.

Yes year 11 and 12 are what I would broadly consider the equivalent of A levels with regards to gaining entry to University. Kids can only leave school here at the end of year 10 if they are going to TAFE or have a job or apprenticeship with a recognised training provider. Leaving in year 10 is not considered graduating as far as I am aware. She will pick her WACE subjects this year so you need to make sure you bring some kind of report regarding her grades because usually the teachers recommendation here forms part of which level of a subject kids can take in 11/12. In order to get an ATAR ranking (which gains Uni entry) children have to sit a certain number of subjects at level 2 or 3. Level 1 of a subject is not enough to gain an ATAR ranking, therefore no entry to Uni straight from Year 12. Sounds confusing, it isn't really but my advice would be to make sure you bring some form of report from her teachers on her academic ability and projected grades.

Hi Paul. I hope that this will help. I have just completed the application to school process for my daughter who is in year 11 in England and about to take her GCSEs. I went over to do my validation last August at the end of her year 10, ( same time as your daughter would be by the sounds of it). In honestly the feedback I got was that the sooner I could get her there the better. The GCSE's not really count towards anything in all honestly once in Oz. So I would say that the sooner the better. I was flustered thinking exactly the same as you... should we go or wait until the end of year 11. I did wait until the end of year 11 as that's the way the visa fell but had I known what I discovered on my validation trip I would not have worried at all about going in year 10. infact that will probably be to her advantage. My daughter starts in their term 3 (end of July) and will remain in year 11 until Christmas (their end of year) here she should have been in term 1 of Year 12. So with her arriving mid year 11 she has her work cut out and lots to catch up on. The school she has opted for have been FANTASTIC in their support, I have to say that I am really impressed both with the service and the curriculum offer. I am a secondary school teacher myself so I did a fair bit of research and looked around several schools. As a school, they are using her grades as an indication of where she should be level wise for her WACE and she should complete her education by the end of year 12. (oz wise). If she had gone any later she would had to have gone back a year.

Good luck with everything. I'm sure that it will work out! Also a point of note is that the academic year doesn't work the same way in Oz it goes by year of birth rather than academic year so it will actually depend in which month your daughter was born that will determine her year group, and not the academic year she is in, in the UK.

I hope that this has been helpful... sorry to babble, I hope it makes some sense!

Hi zebradeb,

Thanks so much, all very very helpful, and my mind is easing ! what school did you decide upon, in terms of suburb, we would like mandarin /joondulop and Woodville but as yet we are unclear as to where my wifes company will setup their offices. We presume cbd but have to wait until she gets to china next week. Whilst we have a preference we remain open minded as the choice of schools for all 3 girls will play a significant part. thanks

Hi. My family and I are scheduled to migrate to Perth in August. My eldest daughter (just turned 15) will have completed Year 10 in the UK which contributes to UK Year 11 GCSEs. Im really concerned that if i move her now to Oz and put her into Year 10 Oz for the final few months prior to year end at Xmas 14 that she is going to be disadvantaged by having to sit final exams to graduate at Oz Secondary school level, and miss out on doing GCSE's in the UK. I believe that the main examination years in WA are year 11 and 12 which determines whether kids go to Uni or not. Can anybody assist me in sourcing information that might help in terms of pre studying for oz year 10 exams or set my mind at rest a little if oz year 11 and 12 will cater for the final qualifications ? Many thanks for any advice offered.

Hi Paul, my daughter is also in year 10 but we have decided to move after she has completed her GCSE's! we found it might be alot easier to do it that way and also we think by the time our process of migrating is completed it will probably be next year that time anyway. Keep us posted on how she got on with the process on schools.

xx

Hi zebradeb,

Thanks so much, all very very helpful, and my mind is easing ! what school did you decide upon, in terms of suburb, we would like mandarin /joondulop and Woodville but as yet we are unclear as to where my wifes company will setup their offices. We presume cbd but have to wait until she gets to china next week. Whilst we have a preference we remain open minded as the choice of schools for all 3 girls will play a significant part. thanks

Glad that it helped. I too will be based NOR - the school mine decided upon was St Marks in Hillarys. Lake Joondaloop Baptist college could be worth a look, if you go Mindarie, that would be Peter Moyes I believe, if you go private wise. The schools are up to the individual I think, and whilst its worth checking out everything you can. Once the girls have a look around they will know what feels best for them. I also found Prendiville in Ocean Reef helpful too. Check out the websites, get a feel, make some enquires and then see what the girls think. When you do google maps from a potential rental address, use directions with the chosen school address. This will then give you a bus route and an idea of how feasible it might be on a practical level. :) anything else, holla! all the best

Hi Paul, my daughter is also in year 10 but we have decided to move after she has completed her GCSE's! we found it might be alot easier to do it that way and also we think by the time our process of migrating is completed it will probably be next year that time anyway. Keep us posted on how she got on with the process on schools.

xx

If she is University material you may find your decision an issue as GCSEs will not be enough to enter Perth Universities.

Yes I myself could do with a bit of advice as we are thinking of moving to Perth but have a son at the delicate age of 13 in July. He's in year 8 of secondary at the moment and when we've discussed things he says he wants to do his GCSE's first but by then he will be 15 and worried he might not want to go then! Are GCSE's even recognised over there? HELP HAHA.........

No GCSE's are worthless here. There is no equivalent as the main year for exams is in the final year of school, year 12. The only way they would be any use is if you decide you don't like it and return to the UK or if you stay and a student needs some evidence that they are competent in English if they flunk their exams here and are not going on to do a University course. I wouldn't hang on to do GCSE's but get your son into oz education as soon as possible. Year 10 here they choose the five (or six) subjects they want to study in year 11/12. It is a two year course and needed for Uni entry.

If she is University material you may find your decision an issue as GCSEs will not be enough to enter Perth Universities.

Hi yes, she would like to go to university but once completed 6 form! Is there a 6 form there? N or would she be able to do tafe courses in her field then go on to university? Thanks

There is no 6th form College here. Kids do Year 11 and 12 at school and sit their exams at the end of Year 12. A few kids leave at the end of Year 10 but they are not the University bound ones. TAFE offers more occupational training as well as courses for newly arrived immigrants or students who flunked their Year 12 exams at school and want to retake a few subjects. If she wants to go to Uni then her best bet is to get here as soon as possible for the start of Year 11 (February).

There is no 6th form College here. Kids do Year 11 and 12 at school and sit their exams at the end of Year 12. A few kids leave at the end of Year 10 but they are not the University bound ones. TAFE offers more occupational training as well as courses for newly arrived immigrants or students who flunked their Year 12 exams at school and want to retake a few subjects. If she wants to go to Uni then her best bet is to get here as soon as possible for the start of Year 11 (February).

Wow n thanks Scot01 for the info. There's no way of her getting into uni as we really won't b able to make it over until next year, even if we wanted to before! there's no way of getting over there until next year once we've gotten the visa which will prob be next year this time anyway plus getting house sell etc..... I really find it hard to understand that if you miss year 11&12 that there's no way of getting into uni in oz! I'm sure that can't b right??

Wow n thanks Scot01 for the info. There's no way of her getting into uni as we really won't b able to make it over until next year, even if we wanted to before! there's no way of getting over there until next year once we've gotten the visa which will prob be next year this time anyway plus getting house sell etc..... I really find it hard to understand that if you miss year 11&12 that there's no way of getting into uni in oz! I'm sure that can't b right??

It is possible but it's more time consuming. A child can enter year 11 half way through but there is a lot of work to catch up on. It's like someone entering 6th form a year into A levels. If a child doesn't do year 11 or 12 then they can go to TAFE to do industry specific qualifications but many TAFE courses also require you to have completed year 12.

It is possible but it's more time consuming. A child can enter year 11 half way through but there is a lot of work to catch up on. It's like someone entering 6th form a year into A levels. If a child doesn't do year 11 or 12 then they can go to TAFE to do industry specific qualifications but many TAFE courses also require you to have completed year 12.

So you are saying that unless you do yr 11 & 12 u can't go to uni in oz? Not even if u are an international student who have got their A levels? I'm really quite surprise at this cause I know in the uk u can go colleges n do courses to get u in universities n I almost certain that the states does that as well. I will have look or may be contact relevant dept in oz to find out as that set up out there is really hard to believe. My daughter is really looking forward to going uni n the thought of her knowing she might not be able to go will knock her right back! What we might have to do is once visa come through we go n validate, then prob stay with her to complete six form before we go permanently, otherwise might have to leave her with fam n then come over after, which case I really don't want but if I have to for her education I will, she's doing really well with her mocks n find I would be really selfish if I took her from all a that n not let her complete her A levels. Sorry to be blabbing on a bit n really appreciate the info, I will have to do a lot of investigation as to where we stand with her. Thanks

xx

Agree with Arwen, it can be done but a very round about route. Also from what I have read, the general consensus re TAFE is that it's not as easy to make friends as school. Students just rock up for specific classes and then go and they are all ages. Uni's do have bridging courses for students who missed their cut off points.

So you are saying that unless you do yr 11 & 12 u can't go to uni in oz? Not even if u are an international student who have got their A levels? I'm really quite surprise at this cause I know in the uk u can go colleges n do courses to get u in universities n I almost certain that the states does that as well. I will have look or may be contact relevant dept in oz to find out as that set up out there is really hard to believe. My daughter is really looking forward to going uni n the thought of her knowing she might not be able to go will knock her right back! What we might have to do is once visa come through we go n validate, then prob stay with her to complete six form before we go permanently, otherwise might have to leave her with fam n then come over after, which case I really don't want but if I have to for her education I will, she's doing really well with her mocks n find I would be really selfish if I took her from all a that n not let her complete her A levels. Sorry to be blabbing on a bit n really appreciate the info, I will have to do a lot of investigation as to where we stand with her. Thanks

xx

I thought she was doing GCSEs not A levels. If you stay there for A levels they may be assessed and used for Uni entrance. If you want to go straight to University at 18 like you do in the UK after A levels then you have to have an ATAR ranking which is only given after year 12 completion.

She can get into Uni with A levels, that's not a problem, they convert them. It is GCSE's that are worthless and folk hang on for their children to do them and it'd be more worth while just to get here and get their kids into Oz schools.

Yes I myself could do with a bit of advice as we are thinking of moving to Perth but have a son at the delicate age of 13 in July. He's in year 8 of secondary at the moment and when we've discussed things he says he wants to do his GCSE's first but by then he will be 15 and worried he might not want to go then! Are GCSE's even recognised over there? HELP HAHA.........

Hi, we also have this delema but my son boards in South Africa so we are going to let him finish matric in South Africa and move across. We were worried that he might lose his PR but as long as they remain a dependent and we can prove he is boarding this should not be a problem. Whist there is concern GSCE's/Matric are not recognised in OZ I cannot tell you how helpful both the universities and schools have been in their advice -to us - even if it means your child is set back a year at school for a bridging year - might not be a bad thing for integration and making friends. 18 is hard enough as it is - You have to contact both schools and University and make a uniformed decision based on all the information they come back to you with. Australia accepts international students from all over the world - but the basis on the thread remains the same. If they already doing GSCE's or matric let them do A levels or the highest level of education in the country that they are currently being educated in. The very best of luck to you all, we all want the same thing - best of education and just so hard to make sure we doing the right thing. xxx

How true Arwen!!!! terrible dilema for many parents.... we told ours if he wants to stay and finish totally undertandable but tertiary whether it be trade or versity has to be OZ and once qualified he can go out and spread his wings. But you are so right scary stuff.

Hi we faced a similar situation, we got our visas in 2011, activated them july 2012 (after youngest AS uk exams) visited ECU in Joondalup and was told A Levels will convert for uni entry and that we would be eligible for HEX funding as permanent residents. Waited until daughter finished A levels in Uk, sold house in uk and came out this March. She is now 19 and we have been told not able to get HEX funding as not citizen, so although do not have to pay international uni fees, still have to fund up front. In the meantime two sons, one got married and the other moved in with girlfriend and is to be a dad in July, so they stayed in uk!!

All I can say is things don't always go to plan, selling uk assets etc takes time, but what ever decision you make your children have time to still access further education, but you may have to pay more than expected up front.

Through the five years this process has took us, the boundarys move constantly, so just be adaptable. That said, Australian qualifications will be recognised a lot more in WA than UK ones.

However, we have been here 6 weeks now, sold all uk assets, know nobody, no friends (other than on here) or family and no job offers prior to arriving: and OH has been employed since week 3, had another job offer since, daughter the same, starts second job on Monday and has doubled her salary, and I found work in week 3. All within our professions and remit.

One of the main reasons we started this process was for opportunities for our adult babies, and they so far have been forthcoming for youngest, our elder two sons, just have to decide if they want to buy into this also, and get their own visas and persuade their partners to join us. Fingers crossed, they will love it when they visit in December/Jan.

Good luck.

Hi we faced a similar situation, we got our visas in 2011, activated them july 2012 (after youngest AS uk exams) visited ECU in Joondalup and was told A Levels will convert for uni entry and that we would be eligible for HEX funding as permanent residents. Waited until daughter finished A levels in Uk, sold house in uk and came out this March. She is now 19 and we have been told not able to get HEX funding as not citizen, so although do not have to pay international uni fees, still have to fund up front. In the meantime two sons, one got married and the other moved in with girlfriend and is to be a dad in July, so they stayed in uk!!

All I can say is things don't always go to plan, selling uk assets etc takes time, but what ever decision you make your children have time to still access further education, but you may have to pay more than expected up front.

Through the five years this process has took us, the boundarys move constantly, so just be adaptable. That said, Australian qualifications will be recognised a lot more in WA than UK ones.

However, we have been here 6 weeks now, sold all uk assets, know nobody, no friends (other than on here) or family and no job offers prior to arriving: and OH has been employed since week 3, had another job offer since, daughter the same, starts second job on Monday and has doubled her salary, and I found work in week 3. All within our professions and remit.

One of the main reasons we started this process was for opportunities for our adult babies, and they so far have been forthcoming for youngest, our elder two sons, just have to decide if they want to buy into this also, and get their own visas and persuade their partners to join us. Fingers crossed, they will love it when they visit in December/Jan.

Good luck.

Very best of luck to you too and hope you settle in well and looks like its going well so far. Many hugs your way and hope you find a few friends soon but seems you going really well so far. xxx

• 1 month later...
Guest LesleyRobert

Hi

We are having the same dilemma we are just about to start the process. We are just trying to pick an agent (that will actually get back to us). We have a 15 year old turning 16 in January, we have been told before to get over as soon as possible and not wait to do her GCSEs. What year would she in if we get over by next January (agent told us it would take max 8 months)? And would she be able to catch up easily as to not fail her exams?

Thank you in advance.

Lesley

Hi all,

I also have a 15 year old son who's just about to finish year 10. He turns 16 in September and from what I've read I'm under the impression he would be going into year 11 in February 2015 (please correct me if I'm wrong!). I know we are cutting it fine, but I'm hoping starting school in August/September this year would give him just enough time to get get a feel for the school and settle in before choosing his subjects for WACE. At the moment we're pretty open about whether he goes private or state and within reason I'm prepared to let him choose the school. What I am wondering about is whether children have found the transition difficult at this age with regards to the topics being studied? I'm pretty sure that maths is maths where ever you go but there's so much scope for some of the other subjects. I was thinking about whether he would need a tutor and if they're easy to find in Perth?

Thanks in advance,

Deb x