Is this normal in Primary Schools?

hibster76

Hi. I am just trying to see if other people have had the same experinces as me with school. My two eldest started school at the beginning of the new school year. They are in year 2 and 4. I have found several aspects rather strange and in some cases have been worried. These include the fact that there are large holes in the fences around the school, parents and children seem to freely wander about the school grounds at all times. My son (9) has made his own way across the school to his sisters class when he couldn't see me. The children sign themselves in the register. My daughter seems to spend lots of time doing dot to dot and colouring in. I could go on. Also had a bill today for $340 each for the semester - this includes as $30 Writing Levy which I have no idea what it is. Can anyone please advise if these things are normal in Australian Primary schools?

Edited by hibster76

I have to be honest with you, it doesn't sound much like my experience so far (at our local public school, which we're really happy with by the way). At the school my kids go to, the gates are locked during the day and anyone wanting to enter the school grounds has to go through the front office and get a permission slip from them before you can enter, same applies if you are late bringing the kids to school or want to pick them up early. My son, also in year 2, would probably love to spend lots of time doing dot to dot and colouring in, but spends far more time learning, doing maths, history, arts, music, PE, reading and comprehension, spelling, all the usual stuff really (far more than he did back in the UK). I can't remember what the exact figure was but the 'voluntary'contributions were somewhere in the region of $150 for two kids for the year. There was a pretty hefty 'book list' to purchase before they went back to school, so maybe if you didn't have to do that and the school provide all the stuff instead your fees would be higher? Are your kids at public or private school, that could account for the difference in cost? Also, we're in Mandurah, don't know if there's a difference between here and Perth?

This isn't what my kids school is like. All levies and charges are disclosed on the book lists so you know what you're paying and security is far tighter, although it's not Fort Knox, they do lock all the gates except the one leading to Primary Reception, during school hours, other than recess and lunch when the older primary kids are allowed onto the oval under supervision.

If you aren't sure what the charges are for then just ask. My daughters school charges $90 per child per year for school contributions plus $30 for p&c contributions. Then the book list which was around £200 per child.

She was also surprised when she started at the school (in yr 2, although in yr 3 now)) as it is work all the time, no play time in the classroom! it is very structured and they have separate lessons in different subjects.

Our school rely on a lot of parent helpers in the classrooms for reading etc so you do see parents wandering around during class time but they have clearance. All the gates other than the main gate get locked after the siren goes. The kids do have more freedom though, a lot of kids walk to and from school some from yr 3 or 4! Kids do just come out of the class at the end of the day, no checking that a parent is there or anything so kids are wandering around everywhere, some going to OHSC or to a siblings classroom etc. There is definitely a different feel to ozzie schools but in a good way I think.

I have had my kids in both public and private schools over 10 years and it doesn't sound familiar. Max of $60 voluntary contribution per year. There are no fences around many primary schools (thankfully). Your child is 9, he is perfectly capable of navigating his way across a primary school. Sadly these days we are not teaching our kids vital skills to develop independence and resilience.

Our previous primary school shared grounds with a public park so there was free access into the school for anyone (although there were fences on three sides of the school). A lot of the kids lived locally and walked in and home alone, probably from year 2 or 3 but at that age it was mostly with an older sibling. We let our 9 year old walk to and from school alone (about five to ten minutes depending on his focus), but in that distance he'd likely meet friends along the way or would be passing a friends house every 50m or so.

My daughter's new primary school is in the middle of town and they're not allowed out unless there's an adult to collect them and since there's only a hundred kids in the whole school it's easy to know who's who. I think kids signing a register is a good thing and at her school there are guidelines about what they should do in the morning but they are encouraged to take responsibility for themselves. Her timetable includes half a day a week of surf lifesaving, half a day for art, half a day for drama and a music lesson in there somewhere too. The rest of the timetable focusses on themed 'project' work into which is woven the academic subjects. They also spend a lot of time out of the classroom, visiting various locations around Freo and learning about local history and issues, again, with literacy and numeracy subjects included.

For homework each week she gets a sheet of spellings - maybe ten or fifteen words, three reading books - one her own choice, one story book which she has to critique and one just for fun which can be a picture book, comic or non-fiction and she also has mathletics of maybe an hour a week.

As for the charges, as others have said, I'd ask the school for a breakdown.

Thank you for the replies. This is a government school. I did buy everything on the book list at the beginning of term. So the charges are on top of that. I have been into the school several times with various questions and worries. I go in almost every other day with questions and requests.

You're perfectly entitled to go in and ask as many questions as you want, it's your child's education at stake, they only get one shot at it so it should be right. If you're not happy then I'd think about explaining why to the school to give them the opportunity to resolve or reassure, if you're still not happy, what other options are open to you?

Although a lot of schools have fences up I think it's basically to stop them running in front of cars, it is here anyway.

There are lots of gaps in fencing etc, although I admit that is around the main school. With prep and the other little ones they always has to stay in class until someone arrived for them. So I would be saying something about that.

The costs, check what it's for also check if they are voluntary as a lot of fees you don't have to pay.

I will be requesting a better breakdown of the costs. The P and C alone is $120 each. I think that I will also request a proper meeting with the teachers instead of on the door chats. I really feel that this is putting a dampner on the whole move. All 3 were very happy in excellent schools in the UK. Now I am thinking what on earth have I done moving them? I have spoken to a few parents who all seem to gush at what an amazing school it is with great Naplan results.

Our school has no fences around it ( Kindy to Year 10). The Kindy and Pre-Primary have a fence around them, but inside the school grounds. We are in the bush in the hills though! As per fees, ours are $60 per child for the Curriculum services and $40 P&C per family. (Year 3 and Kindy) plus the booklist at start of the year.

I will be requesting a better breakdown of the costs. The P and C alone is $120 each. I think that I will also request a proper meeting with the teachers instead of on the door chats. I really feel that this is putting a dampner on the whole move. All 3 were very happy in excellent schools in the UK. Now I am thinking what on earth have I done moving them? I have spoken to a few parents who all seem to gush at what an amazing school it is with great Naplan results.

How do your kids feel about the school? Have a chat with them about it too, find out what they like and don't like about it. Definitely have a proper chat with the teachers, maybe they can allay or confirm your fears, maybe the school philosophy just doesn't suit your style. To me it's not all about the naplan results, there is much more to an education than that, and maybe you're not hearing the whole truth from other parents because you're new? I found it took quite a while to start to feel a part of the school community.

Good luck to you, I hope you resolve things one way or another!

Porty your daughters school sounds pretty cool, I just hope they don't make them do surf life saving in the middle of winter!

Hi Hibster.... lots of good comments and replies here for you, but can I make a few also? Although I am now retired, my career in UK (and here in WA over the last 24 years) was in Education Admin and I have worked in schools and in Dept of Ed central office - I also am a Mum of two children, so I have experience from the parental side too and I understand your concerns - we emigrated when my children were 5 and 8 (they are now in their 30's), so I had to learn all about the system here and I totally understand how you must be feeling.

Believe me when I say Teachers would much prefer to have an organised meeting with you to discuss your concerns, your children's progress etc, than have "doorstep chats". They will be less inhibited in an organised meeting as there will be no other "parental ears" lurking just waiting to pick up on something, and they will have put aside time to devote just to you and not have to keep one eye on what is happening in the classroom at the same time. Perhaps make a list of all the things you want to discuss. The teachers will be aware that you are a new migrant, and if you just gently mention this at the beginning of the meeting to remind them and say that you are trying to get your head around things as it is so new and different, I think you will find that they will be very helpful.

And whilst everyone seems to harp on about Naplan scores, I personally think it is just as important, if not more so, that your children are happy in their educational environment, have good teachers, and are eager to learn, than to be taught just to a specific test... which believe me, does go on in some schools.

I agree that you need to ask for a breakdown of the fees and the school should have provided this for you as it is a legal requirement. Some schools ask for payment for all excursions and incursions up front at the beginning of the year instead of asking for it in drips and drabs as it happens. At least that way you know you have paid for everything and don't have to find more $ along the way. As a parent, either works for me. As an administrator, the lump sum works better because you know what you have to play with for the year. Believe me, managing a budget for a school for a year is a huge task, involving a fair degree of crystal ball use, so if one budget line is more or less set from the go, it makes things a tad easier.

Fee wise I think that the P&C contribution of $120 is very excessive, but it depends what it includes. I can assure you that many parents will not pay the P & C contribution for all their children, and some do not pay it at all - it is after all a voluntary charge. Personally I don't agree with it, as it absolves the P & C from fund raising throughout the year, and although that can be arduous at times for the parents, the positives of this are that the school community really gells and parents become more interested in the school and their children's education. Some of the fundraising activities I have been involved in as a parent and staff member at various schools have been invaluable in creating brilliant relationships, not just across the staff/parent/student arena, but with many parents getting to know and interact with other parents, and thus broadening family horizons and dynamics. Happier families = happier children.

Hibster wind back on the guilt stuff here... chat to your children about their views of their new school and listen to their replies... have those organised meetings with their teachers to express your concerns. What you are feeling is entirely normal and part of the migrant journey. Keep positive!!!

Rossy