Advice on areas please?

Living life

Looking for advice from any fellow Poms please...we have been in Warnbro since emigrating but as hubby has a job based at Midland and covering the Swan Valley we are looking to move closer that way, we want to be within 30 mins so looking at areas such as Guildford, bassendean, bayswater, Belmont and then down to queens park, cannington, kenwick or any surrounding suburbs! We have no clue about any of these areas so any advice/experience would be greatly received, thanks!

Yep Ellenbrook/Aveley/the Vines are about a 20-25 minutes drive to Midland. Newer suburbs with all the amenities right on the doorstep.

If you fancy a more rural lifestyle Bullsbrook is about the same driving time to Midland.

Greenmount and Darlington in the hills are really close too.

Edited by Nikkis2000

Guildford, bassendean, bayswater, Belmont and then down to queens park, cannington, kenwick

Guidlford - Nice old town, but has bad traffic, trains and is under the airport flight path.

Bassendean - Bit rough, but improving.

Bayswater - Nice area, fairly quiet. But you need to use Morley for shopping.

Belmont - Some nice areas, some not so nice. A hotel there had some bodies dumped in the car park a few years back.

Cannington - Huge shopping area, so traffic can be a nightmare.

Kenwick - Fairly industrial.

I'd suggest following the Midland train line, and buying as close to the city as you can afford. The line *should* split after Bayswater to head down Tonkin to the airport at some point. So anything between the city and there will become popular for city workers and FIFO.

Vic Park has good bars/restaurants, as does Mt Lawley. How about a satellite area on Midland itself? Houses are generally bigger/cheaper there.

Not forgetting the one I the Bikies gangs have a club house in Bayswater!

Quietest street in Bayswater. No graffiti, no burglaries.

Nice enough blokes. Keep themselves to themselves.

They are the Coffin Cheaters.

They had a few issues a few years back though.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/coffin-cheater-bikie-headquarters-walls-come-tumbling-down/story-e6frg13u-1226026875550

Edited by Bibbs

Thanks that's really informative! So the train line will split into another line in the future? I wasn't aware of that. Elenbrook is too north, my mum lives in Warnbro so want to be south of midland. What do you mean satellite area on midland Bibbs? I have only been to midland once and I wasn't that keen! What is Morley like, does it have a train station? And any experience of Maylands? Thanks in advance!

It's suppose to split to go down the middle of Tonkin. So I think that means the train frequency to anything between Perth and Bayswater should increase.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/perth-airport-train-line-plans-revealed/story-e6frg13u-1226473316266

But that it all up in the air now, as the government can't afford all the plans they have. But it'll probably come eventually.

Morley is just a big shopping area. No train, but a large bus station. It's where the local Coles/Bunnings/Myer is.

Satelite area? - I've a friend in JaneBrook - its a small suburb on the outskirts of Midland. There is a lot of new housing going up round there.

Maylands is nice, so is Mt Lawley. There is a Cafe strip, theatre, few bars/restaurants on Beauford St. The train line can be a fair walk south though.

I live in this area. And some posters have made comments about other areas, and yes, it even has footpaths and trees on the road side, if that's important.

That is important! Maylands and Mt Lawley are sounding nice, we are looking to rent initially as have literally never been to these places so need to see how it feels before buying, also need to look into schooling for the future but we have a couple of years yet! We don't need to be walking distance to a station but is nice to be 5 min car journey I always think! Are there many parks, open space for dog walks?

Bayswater has a small amount of shops around the station, few takeaways and a pub.

Maylands has a similar right out the station, and it a bit more cafe like and trendy shops with a few good food places to eat.

Mt Lawley is a 5min walk to the centre from the station, but has a lot more on offer.

There is another station - Meltham, but I've not seen anything there really.

Quietest street in Bayswater. No graffiti, no burglaries.

Nice enough blokes. Keep themselves to themselves.

They are the Coffin Cheaters.

They had a few issues a few years back though.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/coffin-cheater-bikie-headquarters-walls-come-tumbling-down/story-e6frg13u-1226026875550

I'm sure all OUTLAW motorcycle Gangs are lovely people not! Hence why the police follow them everywhere! That's also the reason they live in fortified house's, nothing to see here, and nothing to hide! Yeah right! You live in dream world mate!

I'm sure all OUTLAW motorcycle Gangs are lovely people not! Hence why the police follow them everywhere! That's also the reason they live in fortified house's, nothing to see here, and nothing to hide! Yeah right! You live in dream world mate!

Unless you are in a rival gang, or doing something silly in their area, you'll not have an issue.

Yeah they do "naughty" things, but then I did 112 in a 110 zone the other day.

If you really think they are going to cause issues for the neighbourhood, which could then bring them more attention, you are wrong.

All the dodgy stuff gets done far away from the known clubhouses.