Mountain Biking

portlaunay

Took my son out today to do some mountain biking. We rode the Kalamunda circuit and it was excellent, really well maintained trails, some great technicals and jumps and the weather today was perfect. Unfortunately the ups were a little too much for his little legs but considering it was his first time out he loved it.

We hired bikes from Tony at this place; http://perthmountainbikehire.com.au/

Fantastic service, some great, really pro bikes and he threw in bike racks, helmets, gloves and spares.

We're home now and hurting but and cup of tea and a hot shower and we're feeling good. I highly recommend it for an excellent day out.

• 4 weeks later...
Got a mountain bike but no off-roading available near Quinns Rocks so end up using the cycle path to Hillary's, Scarborough and hopefully reaching Fremantle when my legs eventually feel up to it.

Good to know about the cycle paths. If your fancy a ride when i arrive is appreciate it. First time out would be good to tag along [emoji1]

I'll bare that in mind, we arrive mid sept,so once we are settled I'll be out on the bike. How far is it from quinns rock / Alkimos?

It's only 10 min on the road with no cycle paths as yet so probably not worth getting the bike out.... Lol

Well we had another fantastic ride again today. Got up there a little later than I'd have liked and the trails were pretty busy but was still great. We both treated ourselves to new bikes this week so it was good to get them dirty. Tried a few new routes and my son was too exhausted to make the last climb back to the car but what a great day.

Glowing faces and aching limbs now.

We are so lucky to have such incredibly well maintained trails right on our doorstep. Bring on next weekend.

Well we had another fantastic ride again today. Got up there a little later than I'd have liked and the trails were pretty busy but was still great. We both treated ourselves to new bikes this week so it was good to get them dirty. Tried a few new routes and my son was too exhausted to make the last climb back to the car but what a great day.

We are so lucky to have such incredibly well maintained trails right on our doorstep. Bring on next weekend.

Good for you Porty sounds like a cracking day.

web were also in Kalmunda today, not cycling, been to lesmurdie waterfalls then drove to kalamunda for a bite to eat.

Hi mrogers my family came from Bolton ,Horwich areas, I lived in Chorley for 3 years, are you going to Quinns Rocks? I live in next suburb,

Hi Anne, we are from Westhoughton, we have a rental there for 3 weeks so we can look around to find a long term rental. We have been looking at alkimos so quinns is really close to it

Guest Guest6235

If you don't mind me asking porty approx how much is an average mountain bike near you? We are in two minds about cleaning ours up and bringing them, plus I would like a new one.

If you don't mind me asking porty approx how much is an average mountain bike near you? We are in two minds about cleaning ours up and bringing them, plus I would like a new one.

I actually bought a Spanish bike, imported by a company on the east coast so it was hardly local.

It's the same as anywhere else, you get what you pay for. I did look at buying from a UK dealer and having it shipped out but to be honest, there's very little difference in price.

What I have noticed is that the brands that are big in the UK are rarely seen here. Your Cannondale's, Specialized and Trek's are few and far between but Giant, Scott and Merida's are everywhere. At the top end you can find Intense, Yeti, Santa Cruz and a few others.

As for price, well I bought my son an XS Bianchi Kuma yesterday from Elite Racing Cycles in Perth (great shop) because they were the only ones who took him seriously as a rider despite him only being eleven. It was just under $1k but make no mistake, it's no kids bike and he'll get many years of trail riding on it.

Mine was a good deal at around $4k, $800 off the list price because it's a 2014 and again, it's an incredible bike that rode like nothing else I've ever been on and I can't wait until next weekend now.

As a guide, a perfectly good hardtail will start at around $1k and a full suss Specialized S-Works is not going to give you any change from $10k.

Take a look at http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/ for prices but do bear in mind when you're doing your conversion you're not earning AUD yet so it is going to look more expensive.

What do you currently have?

Do also consider that you're going to be riding a completely different terrain here so at the very least you'll need new tyres for the slippery gravel. Your bikes probably won't make much of a dint on your container space if you ship them and it's always good to have a backup but if I were you I'd bring them, spin them around Kalamunda and then go out and buy yourself a sparkly new full-suss anyway. :biggrin:

Guest Guest6235
I actually bought a Spanish bike, imported by a company on the east coast so it was hardly local.

It's the same as anywhere else, you get what you pay for. I did look at buying from a UK dealer and having it shipped out but to be honest, there's very little difference in price.

What I have noticed is that the brands that are big in the UK are rarely seen here. Your Cannondale's, Specialized and Trek's are few and far between but Giant, Scott and Merida's are everywhere. At the top end you can find Intense, Yeti, Santa Cruz and a few others.

As for price, well I bought my son an XS Bianchi Kuma yesterday from Elite Racing Cycles in Perth (great shop) because they were the only ones who took him seriously as a rider despite him only being eleven. It was just under $1k but make no mistake, it's no kids bike and he'll get many years of trail riding on it.

Mine was a good deal at around $4k, $800 off the list price because it's a 2014 and again, it's an incredible bike that rode like nothing else I've ever been on and I can't wait until next weekend now.

As a guide, a perfectly good hardtail will start at around $1k and a full suss Specialized S-Works is not going to give you any change from $10k.

Take a look at http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/ for prices but do bear in mind when you're doing your conversion you're not earning AUD yet so it is going to look more expensive.

What do you currently have?

Do also consider that you're going to be riding a completely different terrain here so at the very least you'll need new tyres for the slippery gravel. Your bikes probably won't make much of a dint on your container space if you ship them and it's always good to have a backup but if I were you I'd bring them, spin them around Kalamunda and then go out and buy yourself a sparkly new full-suss anyway. [emoji3]

Cheers,

I wasn't looking at anything top end, we only have Giant Rocks which were only £180 several years back. Think I'll get mine serviced up and cleaned over here and take across.

When we come over our daughter will be around 15-18 months and were wanting to pull her around on one of those sheltered trailers that attach to the bike, have you seen any of those?.

hi mrodgers, yes i know westhoughton, alkimos is not far from quinns rocks or Jindalee where i live few minutes in the car ,rentals are approx $460 for 4beds ,2bathrooms, double garage etc, still fairly new area, and so much building still going on , Butler train station due to open in September, takes you into the city about 35mins I think.can't remember if you said you been here before?

hi mrodgers, yes i know westhoughton, alkimos is not far from quinns rocks or Jindalee where i live few minutes in the car ,rentals are approx $460 for 4beds ,2bathrooms, double garage etc, still fairly new area, and so much building still going on , Butler train station due to open in September, takes you into the city about 35mins I think.can't remember if you said you been here before?

If you start a new thread I can move all your posts about areas into that one. This thread was started for those who might be interested in mountain biking.

Cheers