Any horsey people?

Sideshowdeb

Whilst trying to reassure her about the move, I might have accidentally told my 6 year old that I'd buy her a horse once we're settled in Perth... I know, it's a rookie mistake, but I'd be happy to make a couple of sacrifices to make it happen for her if it helps her settle.

I know riding lessons are a fraction of the cost compared to the UK but I've no idea how much it costs to buy a horse and more importantly keep a horse in WA?

We've no plans to live in the country so I'd need full livery.

Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for this within easy reach of the South Perth suburbs? Also other costs, vets, saddles, tack etc.

Thanks

Debs

Whilst trying to reassure her about the move, I might have accidentally told my 6 year old that I'd buy her a horse once we're settled in Perth... I know, it's a rookie mistake, but I'd be happy to make a couple of sacrifices to make it happen for her if it helps her settle.

I know riding lessons are a fraction of the cost compared to the UK but I've no idea how much it costs to buy a horse and more importantly keep a horse in WA?

We've no plans to live in the country so I'd need full livery.

Does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for this within easy reach of the South Perth suburbs? Also other costs, vets, saddles, tack etc.

Thanks

Debs

oh dear Debs! she won't let you forget this lol !!!!

ive no idea but be interested to read your responses, as I've a horse mad ten year old!

J x

lol debs !! lauren, nearly 10 would love a horse, bad enough that I said we'd get a dog when we arrive lol !! both of mine must mention the new dog at least twice a day :-/

it was only slightly cheaper having a horse on full livery here in the uk compared to 1 half an hour lesson once a week for my 2, expensive hobby, maybe we should split it 3 ways lol ;-)

xx

I know, I was really quite pleased when Ethan gave up riding for football.

The lessons are so much cheaper in Perth though. I looked at a school near Rockingham and a whole morning of riding lessons and horse care instruction was the same as half an hour here, and hacking costs next to nothing. I'm almost tempted to get back in the saddle myself?

We have quite a lot of puppy talk in hour house too. Only problem is everyone wants something different. Bella wants something white and fluffy, Rich wants a bearded collie and Ethan wants a Doberman... Then they start on their favourite names... I'm trying to stay out of it!

X

once my girls had a few lessons I was also considering having some myself, but to be honest, horses scare the life out of me :-/ we shall see what happens when we get to perth, I used to have lessons when I was a teenager, and they scared me then lol !

my girls already know what dogs they are having and their names too, I bought lucy top trump cards, they are dog breeds, so they know all the details of every dog !!

obviously they must have one each or they will argue over it - like they do with the cat, who is actually mine.

xx

Rich is terrified of horses, can't watch Bella go anywhere near them. I suspect the idea of riding again will be much nicer than the reality? I haven't ridden for years and although I'm well padded in that region I think I might suffer a bit to start with?

So have the girls decided what breed they want or does it change daily?

My lot would share if they could decide what to get? They're all so stubborn and competitive that I can't see anyone backing down. I suggested we get a good old mongrel that needs loving home. Thought it might be a fair solution... They managed to all agree that it was the worst idea they'd heard and continue to bicker about it!

X

Can't advise on SOR bit if it's anything like round here there are loads if places. There are also Pony Clubs run around and about.

Also livery is called Agistment here for some reason! Apparently people will look at you very strangely if you say livery as they don't know what you mean!

Can't advise on SOR bit if it's anything like round here there are loads if places. There are also Pony Clubs run around and about.

Also livery is called Agistment here for some reason! Apparently people will look at you very strangely if you say livery as they don't know what you mean!

I found that out very late last night reading an old forum post. Once I Googled that I found places. Thankfully the prices I've seen won't break the bank if she holds me to it. Can't wait to get out and have a look. The scenery looks gorgeous and I can't quite believe I haven't looked at those parts of Perth before? :-)

There's some amazing scenery round here that's for sure. Where we're you looking at?

I was looking at places about 20-30 minutes inland from Rockingham but ended up looking further north too. There was a place near Welshpool that looked very nice and Pickering? It seemed greener and more lush further north, but I think it was more inland too? Really can't wait to get out and about exploring :-)

good responses to your question Deb, not long now and you can suss it all out yourself!

Darcie is very pleased to hear that hacks are reasonable priced- now to try to fit that into our reccie itinerary aswell!! I love horse riding but would never get back in the saddle after dislocating my coccyx on a horse in 2009- very very painful!!

J x

I actually clenched when I read that.... Nice coffee and enjoy the scenery then instead? I'll let you know what I find out about riding schools for your recci x

Yeah, I will be in charge of refreshments instead!

what made it worse was the physio didn't diagnose it for six weeks which was agony and left me with a dodgy hip joint!

J x

Bean, that sounds horrific! I bruised mine once and that was bad enough?! I have been pretty lucky with falls but then I've never ridden anything too fiery or jumped anything very big. I was quite into vaulting when I was younger but the indoor arena offered a nice soft landing :-)

Coco, it's nice to know that not everything is more expensive in Australia :-)

I can't answer, but I wish my husband would make the same mistake with me lol.

Glad to see that lessons are cheaper in , as part of the reason I gave up 4 years ago after over 20yrs of riding, is because with two children and general life bills and responsibilities it was just too expensive a hobby to keep up!

I'd love to get my daughter into it too x

Yeah, I will be in charge of refreshments instead!

what made it worse was the physio didn't diagnose it for six weeks which was agony and left me with a dodgy hip joint!

J x

Yowch! I hadn't read this comment. Like Deb I have bruised mine before - but generally have a habit of falling head first!

How the heck do you run if you have dodgy hips?!!