Perth's Little Gems

portlaunay

So what favourites have you discovered in Perth? Those little hidden gems you had to discover for yourself that have made the whole journey seem worthwhile and have an air of familiarity to have made you feel like this place might actually be home?

My first is The Freo Doctor. It's a little bottle shop in Freo that stocks a massive range of beers, has great tasting evenings and friendly knowledgeable staff. It just feels like I've been going there forever (which might not be a good thing)

My second is the South Freo Growers Market on Lefroy. We go for breakfast every Sunday and the weekend wouldn't be the same without it. Wandering around a field, saying hi and chatting to strangers, buying eggs and veggies is such a simple pleasure.

My third is Old Values in East Freo. Tucked away in a hidden corner is a delightful little junk/furniture store though the term 'junk' is mildly derogatory, 'treasure' is so much more befitting.

There are probably loads more but that's my starter.

Please leave the grumbles outside, I'm sure for some it's 'not like home' but let's keep it positive, eh?

The little cafe at Edenvale in Pinjarra is a favorite of ours. The food is nothing special, but it is a lovely setting and we like to go for a walk next to the river then a bit of lunch at the cafe.

The little cafe opposite Falcon Bay is lovely on a summers morning to get a bite to eat and sit opposite what has to be one of the best bays in WA and chill.

The butchers at Meadow Springs is a place I love looking around. Lots of little bits and pieces.

This will be an interesting thread Porty! Something I really miss from back home...knowing all the 'secret' places to go avoiding the tourists :biggrin:

Great to bump into you yesterday!!! We bumped into someone else we know in the cafe too...what a small place Perth is :wink:

Balcatta Growers Market in Stirling is just round the corner from work. It's an old school Italian Deli with an entire wall of every kind of pasta imaginable - And they stock the best Chorizo I have found round here so far.

The Cafe at Trigg beach does the best Hot Chocolate

Mount Flora Water Tower at Waterman's Bay has the most amazing lookout up top. It's based in a park and the inside is a regional museum, but go up on top and on a good day you can see from Freo right up to Hillarys, across to the city and up into the hills. Perfect 360 degree view!

IMG_0197.jpg

Edited by Nikkis2000

We went to European Foods in Northbridge today, I could spend so much money there! the fresh coffee roasting area was great, the smell of the coffees all being roasted and ground was out of this world and they give you free coffee so you can try it before you buy. It was the best flat white I have had in a while,

only downside is as it is a bulk supplier you have to buy a minimum of 1kg of everything and spend over $100 if a private customer (we managed that with ease) and we now have a kilo bag of coffee that the guy went and ground specially for us.

Balcatta Growers Market in Stirling is just round the corner from work. It's an old school Italian Deli with an entire wall of every kind of pasta imaginable - And they stock the best Chorizo I have found round here so far.

Good call. I've not yet found a Chorizo I like here so I'll have to check it out.

We went to European Foods in Northbridge today, I could spend so much money there! the fresh coffee roasting area was great, the smell of the coffees all being roasted and ground was out of this world and they give you free coffee so you can try it before you buy. It was the best flat white I have had in a while,

only downside is as it is a bulk supplier you have to buy a minimum of 1kg of everything and spend over $100 if a private customer (we managed that with ease) and we now have a kilo bag of coffee that the guy went and ground specially for us.

We did that in cheese! The last time I went they had Gorgonzola on special and I bought a kilo of that! I think I managed to make it last two weeks

This will be an interesting thread Porty! Something I really miss from back home...knowing all the 'secret' places to go avoiding the tourists :biggrin:

Great to bump into you yesterday!!! We bumped into someone else we know in the cafe too...what a small place Perth is :wink:

That's got to make a place feel like home? I was talking to Ethan about what it will be like when we pop out to the shops and don't bump into anyone we know. Driving around with Ethan is like conducting a state visit. He's waving to almost everyone he sees because he knows them from somewhere or another x

That's got to make a place feel like home? I was talking to Ethan about what it will be like when we pop out to the shops and don't bump into anyone we know. Driving around with Ethan is like conducting a state visit. He's waving to almost everyone he sees because he knows them from somewhere or another x

We were the same! We couldn't go into town on a Saturday because it would take 2 hours to walk 100 metres!

I get the hot version Porty. It's not 100% authentic taste but it's the closest I've found so far. It doesn't have that fake Australian sausage flavour!

The shop is on the corner of Karrinyup Rd and Jones st and just looks like a green grocers from outside

Oh I have had that one and it is pretty close. I like a really soft, tender chorizo with lots of paprika that leaches into the oil when you fry it and goes dark and charred around the edges.

I've not found a really good one here so the search continues. We'll have to make it our mission to sample the chorizo of Perth and report back on here when we find a good one. :biggrin: