Aqwa

portlaunay

Hi Porty. Plent of time. I think we did it in around 2.5 hours. It is not huge but really enjoyable. We had been told by some locals that it was very small, disappointing and over priced. It put me off but the OH said it was on our to do list, so do it, we would. I am so pleased we did. It was fascinating because it was all focused on what is around us here in WA. we found out what could kill us, numb us and eat us! It wasn't expensive either. I think some locals are just miserable. I hope you gave a great day there.

Cheers folks. We're not the sort that would wander through, the kids will really want to learn so if they like it I guess we can always go back another time.

I was just a bit worried it would either a couple of tanks with some minnows in and a dead jellyfish or massive and we'd feel rushed to get around it all.

I think that will be loads of time. Its a great forecast for tomorrow so no need to rush the outside attractions. If you have kids they will love the touch pool and you may have to drag them away! Adults will probably be less interested in that! Coffee shop and tourist shop are pretty good too. Remember Hillarys is next door and open late so plenty of choices there for coffee or dinner once AQWA closes. The tunnel at AQWA is pretty impressive - enjoy :)

Cool, really looking forward to this now. I've only been to Hillary's once and really disliked it so we'll be passing on that but fish and chips on the way home might be a good idea especially after watching Heston cook his on Masterchef tonight. Not sure we'll find anything at that standard on the drive home but if anyone knows of somewhere good...?

Was a good, if very long day. The kids were hyper all morning, excited about picking up our new car so it was gone 2 by the time we arrived and they were hungry and tired. My son, who is usually fascinated by this kind of thing, wasn't interested at all really and we flew round in an hour.

The tunnel was fantastic though, worth it just for that. Next time I'm taking a folding lounge chair and a flask of tea and I'm going to do a dozen laps on the travellator watching the sharks and rays gliding gracefully along.

Like all zoos I did feel quite sorry for most of the animals, some looked depressed, aware of their prison, near crazy with the despair of their confines. Admittedly it was a very quick tour but I didn't see or hear anything about conservation and not near enough about protection. The little section about sharks focussed on the sensational rather than the marvel and the information was a little glib.

I could watch the jellyfish for hours though and before I go back I'd definitely want to know that my money was going towards protecting our ocean.

This is just to appease my guilt though so don't let my mumbling put you off, it was very good.