Apprehensive

<Dan>

Im sure this hits all of us, but we fly out in a little over two weeks. We have no house, no job, no school and no cars to go to. Just a B&B for 2/3 weeks and enough rent for 4 months.

We are both starting to get worried about what's going to happen and if we are going to make it, have friends, go bankrupt etc.

Please help!

Im sure this hits all of us' date=' but we fly out in a little over two weeks. We have no house, no job, no school and no cars to go to. Just a B&B for 2/3 weeks and enough rent for 4 months.

We are both starting to get worried about what's going to happen and if we are going to make it, have friends, go bankrupt etc.

Please help![/quote']

Hi Dan

Out of interest, why wait until you are out there to sort these bits out? There are plenty of online resources so you can plan ahead

I'm very keen to discover your thinking

Richard

Hi Dan

Out of interest, why wait until you are out there to sort these bits out? There are plenty of online resources so you can plan ahead

I'm very keen to discover your thinking

Richard

Hi Richard,

Quite simply;

Car, can not view one from the UK and not enough to buy it.

Rental, All the agents we spoke to, will not allow us to rent without seeing us and us seeing the house in person

Job, All the people I have spoken to do not want to speak to me until we arrive. Even the people job people on here told me not to bother applying until 2 weeks before we land.

That said, I have a garage to meet when we arrive, so that 'hopefully' will be positive.

Hi Richard' date='

Quite simply;

Car, can not view one from the UK and not enough to buy it.

Rental, All the agents we spoke to, will not allow us to rent without seeing us and us seeing the house in person

Job, All the people I have spoken to do not want to speak to me until we arrive. Even the people job people on here told me not to bother applying until 2 weeks before we land.

That said, I have a garage to meet when we arrive, so that 'hopefully' will be positive.[/quote']

Ah OK, I am with you, well you have started the process off at least, as best you can

I am a great believer in things happen for a reason, things dont happen on their own though, good luck, we land in 4 weeks for a 3 ish week reckie, but been many times

Guest Guest6235

What sort of garage did you used to own Dan and what is it you're planning to do when in Perth in regards garage work? I would keep looking on the job sites and applying you may get a few that reply back saying contact me for a chat when you arrive or one may say we'll have you in for an interview.

We'll be happy to meet up with you when we've been there a week or two as we've talked about before......if you will have us lol

If you suss out some nice parks we could meet halway and have a barby or something. We'll be in holiday let in Woodvale first few weeks.

I used to own a general servicing and diagnostics garage. Although my dream is to own a tuning garage. I have worked on a drag racing team before with a very well know tuning garage in the UK. They have put me in touch with a garage in Perth which does similar work. They want to see me when we arrive, so fingers crossed.

Be good to meet up, hopefully we should have a rental property then!

Im sure this hits all of us' date=' but we fly out in a little over two weeks. We have no house, no job, no school and no cars to go to. Just a B&B for 2/3 weeks and enough rent for 4 months.

Please help![/quote']

This was us a year ago (we landed 11/11)! totally normal reaction, its a massive change and in some respects a massive gamble! But as long as you are determined and open minded it is all possible, take each day as it comes and tackle each task individually, that way hopefully nothing becomes too overwhelming. Good luck with your adventure, keep us posted with how you get on and there are lots of people on here that will help you out if they can so just ask!

Hi, me and my husband were the same, he came over in August and me almost to weeks ago. We too found that it was a waste of time applying for jobs until two weeks before, when people finally said call me when you get here. So far, things have fallen into place really well for us. hubby bought a second hand car the second day he arrived, got a job the third day and a house within a month. Some things are slow here to sort (Internet for one!) other things very easy and quick. The only thing I am feeling at he moment is a bit of loneliness having left so many good friends and my family. But I know I need to give time and effort to that.

good luck!

Internet doesn't have to be slow to get sorted, the day after we arrived we went to dick smith and bought a Vivid Vivifi, its a small rechargable device that connects you to the 4G network at a fraction of the price of a Telstra or Vodafone dongle, you can connect up to 5 computes or phones at once and the speed is not bad, you can have it in your pocket switched on in a coffee bar while you are on your ipad doing research or looking for a job, when you finally get a rental, just switch to the Vivid Home Gateway, its quick its simple and best if all its cheap internet.

Please help![/quote']

Hey Dan, we have all done it and have all made it work, so im in no doubt that you will make it work, but if you get stuck, we have a spare room and a car :wink:

Internet doesn't have to be slow to get sorted, the day after we arrived we went to dick smith and bought a Vivid Vivifi, its a small rechargable device that connects you to the 4G network at a fraction of the price of a Telstra or Vodafone dongle, you can connect up to 5 computes or phones at once and the speed is not bad, you can have it in your pocket switched on in a coffee bar while you are on your ipad doing research or looking for a job, when you finally get a rental, just switch to the Vivid Home Gateway, its quick its simple and best if all its cheap internet.

I've exhausted all the Internet options for where we are living including vivid and only iinet and Telstra are offered in my area. We've asked neighbours and they recommended Telstra for the speed due to our area so have had to go with them. But as we have no active phone line as the house was a holiday home and not used in a while we have to wait for a technician to come out. So it's a long process compare to the UK where a phone line can be hooked up with a phone call.

Where are you living,its unusual not to be covered by vivid, the telstra 4g coverage is better than vivid but expensive, telstra have a similar device to vivid call the 4g advanced, its also portable & rechargable, you say you can get telstra & iinet, have you spoken to both of them about ports yet at the local exchange, it might be thats what they are waiting for, a port to become available, if so its going to ge a long wait

Where are you living,its unusual not to be covered by vivid, the telstra 4g coverage is better than vivid but expensive, telstra have a similar device to vivid call the 4g advanced, its also portable & rechargable, you say you can get telstra & iinet, have you spoken to both of them about ports yet at the local exchange, it might be thats what they are waiting for, a port to become available, if so its going to ge a long wait

Hi Druid, I'm in a north Yunderup between Mandurah and Pinjarra. When I entered my postcode on all the internet provider sites, only iiNet and Telstra could cover. We are using a Telstra portable and rechargeable device at the moment. I spoke to Telstra today to chase up my order and they've said Herve now activated my landline without a technician having to come out, but still there's no dial tone, although they've said it could take up to 24 hours....let's see what tomorrow brings! :)

The plot thickens, Ive just been onto Telstra as my latest order tracking says ive signed to a 24 month plan, which I haven't. So I asked them to change this to now be told we've failed the credit check!!! Aaargh! They are driving me mad.

Geee you are a long way out, you should have NBN out there, it will be worth going with Telstra if you can get NBN.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is not such a good day.

When I used to own a Garage I would get very stressed and as such would get really bad stomach pains. Well my body has obviously decided that I'm too stressed as I'm in so much pain I had to come home early from work and have a hot bath. I'm now laid up in bed.

I'm supposed to be giving blood for the last time tomorrow too :(

The plot thickens, Ive just been onto Telstra as my latest order tracking says ive signed to a 24 month plan, which I haven't. So I asked them to change this to now be told we've failed the credit check!!! Aaargh! They are driving me mad.

Don't get me started on Telstra! They are the most inept company I've ever come across! We ordered our phone line beginning of August and are still not connected having been given excuse after excuse. They're meant to be coming tomorrow to connect our line; they can't do the internet at the same time as they've said we can't place the internet order until the lines connected. Yesterday they phoned me, well their computer did, asking me a series of questions to confirm the appointment. The last question I can't answer and there's no option to speak to an operator so I hung up. Their computer rang me a further 8 times trying to ask the same thing so of course I hung up immediately. Very frustrating! I tried to call to speak to our "holding representative" but once put through it rings twice and the line goes dead. I also tried their complaints line to which another computer told me I'd have to wait at least 8 mins to speak to someone so I hung up. I complained on their Facebook page asking for a real person to call me to which they replied they were obviously making every attempt to contact me and 8 mins wait to make a complaint isn't very long. I'm absolutely furious with them!!! Their customer service is non existent!

Hi, me and my husband were the same, he came over in August and me almost to weeks ago. We too found that it was a waste of time applying for jobs until two weeks before, when people finally said call me when you get here. So far, things have fallen into place really well for us. hubby bought a second hand car the second day he arrived, got a job the third day and a house within a month. Some things are slow here to sort (Internet for one!) other things very easy and quick. The only thing I am feeling at he moment is a bit of loneliness having left so many good friends and my family. But I know I need to give time and effort to that.

good luck!

Raychel, I'm not far from you and often meet friends for coffee in Mandurah so let me know if you want to meet up

Lou :smile: