Help husband worried about high crime from reading an oz forum!!!!

Bouncy

So, we are about to submit an eoi, I've been doing stacks of research and until now my hubby has been happy with how our move was being planned! My hubby has now decided to research the crime rates in perth/ mandurah areas. He's read about lots of anti social behaviours, break ins etc ! Now I am well aware that crime is everywhere and no where will have a crime free existence, however, I can't imagine crime there is worse than here? We live in the north east, Newcastle upon Tyne. We are in a quiet area and although we haven't been affected by crime directly , we don't hear a lot about it! Can I reassure him, perth/ mandurah isn't a crime ridden place!! He's worried about moving our boys somewhere that crime is very prevalent! I think he's just found a grim forum with a bit if a skewed view point! Please tell me I'm right ??

The thing is, if you join a forum about crime stats ... that's all you're going to be reading about so it might seem that crime is more prevalent. As you say, crime is everywhere and people should take the same precautions that they would in the UK regarding security.

Hi Ali, thanks for the reply! It wasn't a forum about crime, just a general forum for that area, he asked about crime rates, some people said they felt safe there, others told stories of crack heads junkies and syringes in parks! Think he's shaving a wobble because of this! My own walky for letting do his own research ;-)

I am living just outside of Mandurah and have been here five weeks and feel very safe. Since I've been here, the crime in the local paper has been a murder where the two guys knew each other, a ram raid on a store and a disability scooter being stolen. Now if I read the local paper back home in the uk, I can tell you there would be more crimes to read about in one month in one town. Crime is everywhere and is more prevalent in certain suburbs, and there's a couple of dodgy suburbs around Mandurah, but there seem to be more good places than bad. I would not compare Perth to the UK with regards to crime. for me and my husband, we feel it's much safer here, more laid back and people more friendly.

The crime rates are overall, about the same as the UK. Like the UK, some areas will be worse than others and some better than others. There are some places I wouldn't want to walk around at night - just like the UK.

I am am in Mandurah and have been for the last 6 years. In that time we haven't been burgled, my car is still there and undamaged, I have not being assaulted or mugged. But, yes all of these things can and do happen to some and the also happen to some in the UK.

Yes, we have a drug problem (fairly large) and I do have concerns about how increasing unemployment will effect crime. But, no more so than I would have the same concerns in any other developed country.

I am living just outside of Mandurah and have been here five weeks and feel very safe. Since I've been here, the crime in the local paper has been a murder where the two guys knew each other, a ram raid on a store and a disability scooter being stolen. Now if I read the local paper back home in the uk, I can tell you there would be more crimes to read about in one month in one town. Crime is everywhere and is more prevalent in certain suburbs, and there's a couple of dodgy suburbs around Mandurah, but there seem to be more good places than bad. I would not compare Perth to the UK with regards to crime. for me and my husband, we feel it's much safer here, more laid back and people more friendly.

actually, Mandurah has levels of crime significantly higher than the WA average and closer to some of the more deprived areas of the UK.

It is very normal to have jitters. It is also good to come with no unrealistic expectations. I have come across a lot of them over the years with some very odd reasons for making the move. I always remember a chap who wanted to move from the UK to Darwin because he wanted to bring up his kids in a culture that is a lot less alcohol based. Without realising Darwin has some of the bigger booze cultures and associated issues in the developed world.

The figures only tell part of the story and of course those figures can be manipulated to suit all manner of purposes.

When we lived in London we were forever crime was in decline, that it was a safe place to live etc etc. I felt vulnerable at home and walking around my streets, the near constant sound of sirens, people generally concerned only with themselves, smashed street furniture everywhere, graffiti, litter, it all added to a general feeling of negativity.

Of course there are problems here but I know I'd rather be living in a place where seemingly minor crime makes headline news.

Sorry, I don't understand your point in relation to my post?

The crime rate for WA is higher than even some of the highest perceived crime areas of the UK. Including London. Mandurah has almost double the average for WA. So, while you "perceive" Mandurah is very safe, the statistics say the opposite.

Crimes that are particularly high include agrevated burgulayry (break and entering while the home owner is home and results in assault), theft of the person (mugging), car theft, agrevated car theft (car jacking at weapon point).

So, we walk around Mandurah thinking all is wonderful. But the reality is that you are more likely to be a victim of crim than most areas of the UK.

Guest Guest6235
Thanks for those replies everyone! Crikey! Who'd have thought it! Think I'll keep that little gem to myself;-) best get the life insurance sorted too keefo!! Might just drop him off on a remote secluded uninhibited island on our way to perth! Ha!!

Lol, already have that, we need it if we ever venture into Hull city centre.

The crime rate for WA is higher than even some of the highest perceived crime areas of the UK. Including London. Mandurah has almost double the average for WA. So, while you "perceive" Mandurah is very safe, the statistics say the opposite.

Crimes that are particularly high include agrevated burgulayry (break and entering while the home owner is home and results in assault), theft of the person (mugging), car theft, agrevated car theft (car jacking at weapon point).

So, we walk around Mandurah thinking all is wonderful. But the reality is that you are more likely to be a victim of crim than most areas of the UK.

I don't 'perceive' Mandurah to be safe I said I feel safe and I don't walk around thinking all is wonderful either. I personally don't read crime stats as they can be misleading. I purely wanted to give my opinion having come from the UK feeling very unsafe and having been the victim of many crimes in a short space of time in an area classed by statistics as being very much below the UK average for crime apparantley. I live out I mandurah in a small suburb which I feel is safe but like anywhere in the world, I expect will experience crime.

Guest Guest6235

@verystormy This is not a sarcastic question in relation to a lot of your posts before it's portrayed as that but a genuine straight up question. I was just wondering why you stay out in Perth area and if you enjoy it? Also do you think you would ever eventually move back to the UK?

Obviously a lot of people move to Perth and stay there and there are those that have lived in Perth, moved back to the UK, but then are desperate to get back to Perth. It can't be all that bad surely if that happens. I know a lot sometimes depends on the type of visa you're on & luckily we'll be on a PR.

Edited by Guest6235

I've been here 10 years. I have many friends here and can count on 1 hand the number of those friends who have been the victim of a crime. Yes there is crime here, yes in some parts it's higher than some parts of the UK. Saying all that I still feel safer here than all the places I lived in the UK.

When we was over a few weeks ago it was showing on the news the teenagers fighting in the local shopping centre, that made the news on telly, back home it may make the local rag. I have worked for the Met Police and if people really new what was going on in the UK there would be mass hysteria, not my words but the high ranking police officer i was talking too. I also have police officer friends and the crime figures over in the UK are adjusted and loads of crime doesnt even make it onto the figures. I am not saying Perth is safe by any means, however i felt alot more comfortable walking around Perth city than London. Not a totally fair comparison as Perth city is more like Welwyn Garden city.

A house fire or stolen bottle of vodka from the liquor store makes it onto the news here; if that happened in the UK you wouldn't even hear about it.

We've also noticed in WA the police helicopters are deployed for a teenage house party and the police dogs are let loose on the bottle of vodka thief!

Perth has crime like anywhere else however the response and publicity is not what you would see in the UK! In the UK it would go unnoticed because there are bigger fish to fry.