Is cockburn a good area to live with young children??

linds

Hi my husband and 3 young children are due to move out to perth end of jan- after lots of looking we've decided cockburn would be good-2 of our girls ice skate and one is due to start kindie and schools look good.

Does anyone know about the area? Any advise on the move/flights with young children?!

Excited!! Hoping to meet lots of new people!

Cockburn is a good area, its one of the newer suburbs with good commuting links & is still growing, the local shopping mall is having an extension built, or it has all ready been built, we explored this area when we first arrived but struggled to get a rental, so we ended up in Harrisdale

Happy New Year everyone ... my first clean up of a thread for 2015, I have deleted the comments which had nothing to do with the question asked by the OP and replies to those less than helpful comments also.

A little reminder about one of our forum rules which everyone will have agreed to on signing up to the forum: http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/welcome-perth/3491-forum-rules-guidelines.html and that one of them is about being respectful to the fellow members. This is a friendly environment and we're determined to keep it that way. However, moderators and admin can not read every single post, so we do rely on our members to report posts they feel break the rules, are insulting etc. The report just allows us to go directly to the thread/post to review it.

My SIL lived in Success for a few years. We found it close to the city (15 mins in the car), had good transport links and was 20 mins from the beach. It has certainly got a lot busier in the last 6 years and the shopping center has been massively extended. It was too much suburbia for us. I'd rather live nearer the river or beach.

Edited by Lou8670

Happy New Year everyone ... my first clean up of a thread for 2015, I have deleted the comments which had nothing to do with the question asked by the OP and replies to those less than helpful comments also.

A little reminder about one of our forum rules which everyone will have agreed to on signing up to the forum: http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/welcome-perth/3491-forum-rules-guidelines.html and that one of them is about being respectful to the fellow members. This is a friendly environment and we're determined to keep it that way. However, moderators and admin can not read every single post, so we do rely on our members to report posts they feel break the rules, are insulting etc. The report just allows us to go directly to the thread/post to review it.

THANKS Ali xx

Thanks Lou. I looked at Cockburn as 2 of daughters ice skate and know there's a rink nearby, I'd like to be near things for them to do on the other hand house prices seem expensive so have also looked at rockingham/secret harbour way which is more reasonable in price but I'm worried there won't be much for girls to do :|

Thanks Lou. I looked at Cockburn as 2 of daughters ice skate and know there's a rink nearby, I'd like to be near things for them to do on the other hand house prices seem expensive so have also looked at rockingham/secret harbour way which is more reasonable in price but I'm worried there won't be much for girls to do :|

If their love is ice skating and there's a rink nearby then it looks as though Cockburn would be ideal for you. We did the same research! Our kids love swimming and surfing. We're near one of the best swimming clubs in Australia; we visited and my hubby trained with them before we decided where to live as we knew we'd be at the pool every day. We chose Secret Harbour as we love the beach and it has a fantastic surf life saving club. We can walk to the beach from our house and see kids walking back with their surf boards under their arm of an evening.

We have a friend who's relocating from here to Perth as her daughter plays basketball and they are having to trip up to the city several times a week.

So you have to select where you want to live based on your priorities and only yours and your families. Cockburn has great links to the city and is a nice area...particularly if it cuts your travelling time down to your kids favourite activity!

Edited by Lou8670

Hi Linds,

We recently made the big move with 2 young children and are living in the City of Cockburn (UK equivalent borough) area in Coogee. Staying with the in-laws at the moment so do not have the hassle of house prices/rentals etc yet. The area is really nice and good around Success for shopping and getting about etc. Think that cheaper areas nearby are Beeliar, Piara Waters and Yangebup.

Flight was better than expected with 2 young children, maybe some new toys/activites to keep them occupied and lots of snacks and ipad and we survived.

It you have any other questions, please feel free to ask as it was a bit daunting moving here and get in touch when you arrive always nice to meet some new people.

Jo

Hi that's for the advice-you're right, you spend most of you're time dropping off and picking up from activities anyway and reducing that commute time by living nearer the activities makes sense.

Our house sale is just completing so should be on the flight first week of feb!!