This is an interesting question!...

rpakey

For one the weather helps, you can't plan anything here and we're almost house bound for six months of the year. We do have a good life here in the uk and have lots of family time, but the worlds a big place why not try it out for bit if it doesn't work hey we lived in Australia for a couple of Years

For those of you still in the UK:

What is it that makes you think a life down under will be an improvement?

For those in Oz:

What are the realities of these impressions now you are there?

I will start!:

Having visited Perth many times, I find it totally mesmerising

I do love it in the UK, but I just get a different feeling in Perth, to me it just feels like a different pace of life, maybe when I am working it will be different?

I have a stressful life in the UK (my own fault) that I feel I can reduce once I can wipe the slate clean in another country and for me, this is Perth

There are so,etchings that are better but some not. Overall, I think they cancel each other out.

Things that are better:

having an outdoor pool.

Sunshine hours - but see below

bigger houses. But most modern ones have zero garden

worse:

sunshine kills - lots of people with skin cancer dying a horrid death

worse air quality in many areas - due to burn offs my asmtha is 10x worse

VERY expensive for everything

A poor economy that has loaded its entire existence on sending minerals to China. Unless you believe China has found the perfect economic miracle then have a look at WA pre current boom (it was a basket case)

poor quality of everything.

Poor service.

I will start!:

Having visited Perth many times, I find it totally mesmerising

I do love it in the UK, but I just get a different feeling in Perth, to me it just feels like a different pace of life, maybe when I am working it will be different?

I have a stressful life in the UK (my own fault) that I feel I can reduce once I can wipe the slate clean in another country and for me, this is Perth

Research avergage working hours - oz has the longest in the developed world and only 20 days annual leave.

Research avergage working hours - oz has the longest in the developed world and only 20 days annual leave.

Very true, for me, being self employed, I either work or sleep, nothing in-between, I cannot possibly work even more (unless him upstairs creates more hours in the day!)

I am expecting that my leisure time will be more enjoyable & abundant due to the much better weather ie I love going to the gym but don't go much in the winter, love scuba diving & kayaking but only do both when on holiday. But more than all this I cant wait to be able to walk/splash about with my little dog on the beach every day, only discovered how much he loved it when we took him to Spain & Portugal last year!!

Think if I happen to find it as bad as some do with all those bad points then we won't hang around. It's mainly the crime that bothers me.

Keefo in the words of a great philosopher and singer....... Elsa let it go, let it go...... You are going to work yourself up so much that you won't want to leave your house. It doesn't matter where you live there is always going to be various crimes going on. Hell I bet there is no one on here who hasn't broken a crime one way or another, maybe some even serious crimes.

I am not overly worried about it as if it happens it happens, had my window smashed and stuff taken out of our car outside our house and we live in a nice area. It was a gang that did a hit and run over the whole area. Doesn't mean the area is bad just that bad things happen that are not always in your control.

All you can do is follow everyone's advise to avoid chancers. My mum got her house broken into over Christmas while she was away. She has ADT so it was stopped quiet quickly. When we was over in November we felt quiet safe. I think once you live somewhere you get a bit complacent with what goes on, 2 older gents had a set too over a disabled parking space and one died, doesn't make the area bad just that sometimes crazy things happen.

In Scotland you are lucky if there are 2 months a year when you don't have to wear a coat outside, here you only need a coat for 2 months a year (if that). Yes it does get too hot sometimes in summer but unless you are stuck outside or don't have aircon then it isn't too much of a problem.

Work is not much different, but on days off there is always something to do and somewhere to go.

My kids actually play outside unlike in uk.

My daughter has had Ezcema over most of her body since she was a baby (now 8) and its completely gone since being here.

Yes some things are more expensive but some are cheaper or around the same as home. Rent is a lot more compared to where we came from and so is property.

We love it so far and I don't miss the uk as much as I thought I would.

@Keefo I don't hear of crime around here but I'm sure if I looked for news about it I would find it. Just be sensible, lock doors and windows, leave nothing valuable in view, pretty much same as anywhere in world...and don't read those free local papers!

Guest Guest6235

A lot of them at the moment Nikki are smashing windows to gain entry. The rental we've just got in Tapping (not fully living there yet as not received container) we can't hide things like tv etc as it would be fully visible with the blind up and you would still be able to see between blinds when down, can't live in darkness!

On the cost of living side we've found it much of a muchness with UK at the moment. Also weekends there are more things you can do and you don't have to rush out first thing in the morning to do them as you know it'll still be sunny later on

Edited by Guest6235

Think if I happen to find it as bad as some do with all those bad points then we won't hang around. It's mainly the crime that bothers me.

Is anywhere safe? I had a business in one of the most affluent areas outside of the M25, well secured with a metal shutter, people living in a flat upstairs and the main windows overlooked by just about anyone that can see out of one eye- and yet, little swines took 2 mins to smash their way in and take nearly GBP100k worth of goods

If it happens there, I am sure it'll happen anywhere (I must be unlucky too, 4 break-ins in 4 year for the businesses)

Anywhere else looks rosy!