Skyworks 2015 absolutely amazing Australia Day

Shirleyt

Yesterday was our first Australia Day and it surpassed all expectations. We had wanted to go into the CBD as it was our first and most people I spoke to said we were mad as the traffic is a nightmare. I'm glad I didn't listen to them, it was worth the effort. We drove into CBD around three o'clock as we wanted a good spot and to make the most of the day. We found a car parking space easily and there was a $ 10 flat rate all day at all the city car parks.

It was a short walk to Langley Park, where the celebrations were just starting. We set up base camp in an ideal spot in direct view of the fireworks. We all then spent the afternoon riding camels, donkeys, go carts, watching the circus, the motorbike show, the Airshow, jumping on every inflatable ever to be invented without having to spend a single penny. We couldn't believe all the rides and entertainment was completely free.

At 7.30 we all had to wave our flags ( given to us free, along with ponchos incase the water show blew our way) to attempt to break the world record. At 8.00 the most amazing firework show started and the atmosphere was brilliant. For 30 minutes we were entertained with the laser light show, fireworks all set to music. The kids said it was there best day in Perth so far.

When the fireworks finished at 8.30 everyone tried to escape together so we sat for another 15 minutes as we knew the roads would be congested for quite a while. We had a little walk around the CBD and everyone was in a friendly mood, never saw one incident of anti social behaviour. By the time we headed back to the car, they were just reopening all the roads so we were home in 10 minutes.

When we got home our eldest ( who didn't want to come) said about 200 hundred people were out the front of the house, to see the fireworks over Herdmans Lake. I couldn't help but think they'd missed out watching it there but each to his own. Next year is a must and to anyone contemplating it, go for it, you only live once and it was worth the congestion for all the fun we had.

Thank you City of Perth and all the sponsors for an amazing day, I know a lot of people have moaned about the horrendous waste of money but it made me think how bloody fantastic is this country, which surely is what Australia Day was made for! Roll on 2016!

It is an amazing day. We have always caught the train. Instead of heading straight to the stations that are very busy we head to the pub, have a few drinks then calmly head back. Adults though. It's great all ages. Didn't go this year as OH away working but I too would definately recommend it. Glad you liked it. Another great free day/night out in Perth eh?

• 11 months later...