Australian driving test

Mrs&MrW

Hi there everyone,

We are moving to Perth in two weeks time and I was wondering if anyone has taken a driving test over in Perth and how is it like?

Is it harder than the UK?

What sort of manuvers they request, etc?

I've always used public transport here in the UK but I'd like to be able to drive in Australia if I have to.... and considering the size of the country I know I will ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Mrs W ?

My wife has had the lessons in preparation.

The he first stage is a theory test and a simulator on a computer.

Then you do the driving test. From what we have seen it is a lot easier than the UK as they don't really do manoeuvres.

Once passed, you go on red P plates for a year. Then green P plates. Both have certain restrictions.

Judging by the appalling way a lot of people drive over here I'd say that no-one has done a driving test in Perth :laugh:

Sorry that's not helpful to your cause, I just couldn't help myself...

I did mine many moons ago on the East Coast so don't know how things have changed, but I do remember thinking it was weird in England that you had to reverse around a corner, as far as manoeuvres go I think I only had to do a three point turn, a hill start and a parallel park. Hopefully someone else has got info that is a bit more relevant for you!

The driving test is a little easier I feel but the process is longer. This is the process.

1. Visit licensing centre and take a theory test to get your learners permit.

2. Do 25 hours of supervised driving over a 6 month period.

3. Take test which includes a couple of manoeuvres which could be a reverse park, parallel park or a 3 point turn.

4. Once passed you have to do another 25 hours of supervised driving over a 6 month period

5. After 6 months visit licensing centre and take online Hazard Perception Test

6. If passed you then drive on red P plates for 6 months and then green P plates for a further 18 months. During the 6 months of red P plates you have to have a blood alcohol content of 0 and are unable to drive between 12am and 5am. Once on green P plates you can drive at any time but still have to have a BAC of 0.

My wife has had the lessons in preparation.

The he first stage is a theory test and a simulator on a computer.

Then you do the driving test. From what we have seen it is a lot easier than the UK as they don't really do manoeuvres.

Once passed, you go on red P plates for a year. Then green P plates. Both have certain restrictions.

Perhaps that is why the standard of driving here is diabolical :: shakes head::

So you don't need to do an actual driving test on the roads to get your license? No wonder....

How do they check if you have 25 hours of superviced experience in 6 months? (I recall even your parents can be the supervisor?)

You don't in the UK either as I recall. I never did anyhow. Applied for a provisional and started taking lessons.

You have to complete the logbook and that's the only proof. I guess there will be some who will fudge their book. I wasn't one of those people. I logged my daughters hours to the minute and wouldn't have lied.

I had to do a three point turn, hill start, emergency stop, parallel park as well as telling the instructor the hand signals you would use if your indicators were not working.. and yes I did my test in Perth! So I find it quite harsh the comments people make about the drivers over here, bearing in mind not all of them are from Perth or Australian by any means.

Hi,

I'm an L driver. I never had a licence before so first took the theory test, got my Learners Permit (which is like a proper driver's license and can be used as a proof of ID). They gave me a log book, I had to complete 25 hours pre PDA, BUT there is no time limitation. You have to display yellow L sign and someone with a valid Australian license has to sit with you. Now I'm still waiting for my PDA as my instructor says I am not yet ready. The assessors are a bit picky on little things. Like when checking the mirror or blind spot, you have make it waaaay too obvious and extremely visible. If or hopefully when I pass the pda, I'll continue getting 25 more supervised driving hours BUT this time I will have to do this in 6 months. After this, go and take the hazard perception test, which actually is easy, the only point is to get more experience over a long period of time.

My husband took the PDA a few months ago. Also I did a mock test today morning (and my instructor failed me again, damn parallel parking)

My instructor gave me a booklet called how to pass the pda. It is really helpful, maybe try looking for it on transport department's website.

The test takes 35 minutes. Aside from driving, there are 2 main exercises. One is "Left something behind", where you have to make a U turn or turn from a driveway. You need to do 2 parking as well. One is on the left side, the other on the right. They say left one is mostly a left reverse parking (the assesor takes you to a shopping center or car park), and right forwards parking (going back to the test center after the test). But of course they may ask for a parallel parking too, depends on your luck and the streets around the center.

When you are driving with P plate, if you have to go to work after midnight till 5, you can get a letter from your employer and then it will be allowed to drive at those hours.

Another funny fact, WA is the only state where supervising driver does not have blood alcohol concentration requirements. He or she can be drunk enough not to be able to drive but still good enough to supervise an L driver.

Good luck

Hi,

I'm an L driver. I never had a licence before so first took the theory test, got my Learners Permit (which is like a proper driver's license and can be used as a proof of ID). They gave me a log book, I had to complete 25 hours pre PDA, BUT there is no time limitation. You have to display yellow L sign and someone with a valid Australian license has to sit with you. Now I'm still waiting for my PDA as my instructor says I am not yet ready. The assessors are a bit picky on little things. Like when checking the mirror or blind spot, you have make it waaaay too obvious and extremely visible. If or hopefully when I pass the pda, I'll continue getting 25 more supervised driving hours BUT this time I will have to do this in 6 months. After this, go and take the hazard perception test, which actually is easy, the only point is to get more experience over a long period of time.

My husband took the PDA a few months ago. Also I did a mock test today morning (and my instructor failed me again, damn parallel parking)

My instructor gave me a booklet called how to pass the pda. It is really helpful, maybe try looking for it on transport department's website.

The test takes 35 minutes. Aside from driving, there are 2 main exercises. One is "Left something behind", where you have to make a U turn or turn from a driveway. You need to do 2 parking as well. One is on the left side, the other on the right. They say left one is mostly a left reverse parking (the assesor takes you to a shopping center or car park), and right forwards parking (going back to the test center after the test). But of course they may ask for a parallel parking too, depends on your luck and the streets around the center.

When you are driving with P plate, if you have to go to work after midnight till 5, you can get a letter from your employer and then it will be allowed to drive at those hours.

Another funny fact, WA is the only state where supervising driver does not have blood alcohol concentration requirements. He or she can be drunk enough not to be able to drive but still good enough to supervise an L driver.

Good luck

Actually you are correct about the first 6 months. It was 6 months for my daughter because she couldn't sit her test until she was 16.5. Thanks for clarifying.

Thank you so much for your replies... so, sorry if my question is repetitive,but those total of 50h supervised lessons... do they have to be with an official instructor or can it be anyone? Just thinking on this logbook and how do you record these hours officially? ?

It doesn't have to be an official instructor. A person with a valid Australian driver's license can supervise you too. The log book has 2 sections. First is pre-PDA, and then you take the PDA and complete the post-PDA section and this part has to be completed in minimum 6 months.

The supervised driver writes their name, license number and how many minutes driven, road and traffic conditions and sign. When you submit your log book, the transport department confirms the supervised drivers by checking their license numbers, normal drivers will have 7 digit license and instructors have a 4 digit number. It can be a mix of manual and auto as well. Like with me, I have been learning manual, my first instructor had a manual car, our car is manual and then I couldn't handle it any more. (There are very picky about manual test, like you have to gear down when entering an intersection, etc. Slowing to appropriate speed is not enough. As a new driver, I already have so many things... I thought I'll try auto to increase my chances at the pda)

Australia is built on trust I can say. They just trust that your statements on the PDA are true. Because you and all the supervising drivers sign that. (You can have many supervising drivers)

Just one thing I asked to my instructor. Does it make any difference if I have different people with different cars as in auto or manual? He said no, it doesn't make any difference. But if you ONLY have a normal person and no instructor signature, then the assessor is more picky on you. Because many people just collect signatures from parents or friends. But these people may not be good enough drivers to teach and guide you. Even in their booklet it says "It is highly recomemmended to take Professional lessons and then start practicing with your family to gain more experience."

Another advise I can give you is to take a driving school or intructor car to your PDA. It really makes a difference. Your car has to be roadworthy and if not you automatically you fail. And with an L driver, the assessors feel safer with dual padels, because they don't know you. Of course, if the assessor has to touch those pedals then you fail. If you speed, you fail.

I regret not applying for a licence back home so much. If I did, now my only problem would be driving on the left and passing the pda. Learning from scratch in a foreign country is really difficult. (Even as a pedestarian I had difficulties, like we have to look left then right and left again, eveyrthing is the other way here. For the first weeks, I was looking after the passing cars. So dumb!) If you can, try getting one before you come. The assessors here are tough. They just failed someone for being "too cautious"

Good luck to me too. I have 13 days till my PDA, I will be in Phuket most of this time because of my job. So no practice...

One thing they forget to tell learners here, or if they do tell them then they don't tell them enough is: The left hand lane is for driving in and any lanes to the right are for overtaking, after overtaking you should return to the left hand lane. If you need to turn right 15k's down the road, you do not need to be in the right hand lane yet, wait until you're nearer the junction you need, like another 14.5k's!

If you already have a driver's license it's ok any way, you can get a wa license with you UK one. My husband got used to driving on the left in a few days, of course the first time he drove on the left was in Cape Town a few years ago when we went for vacation. I have to admit, he got stressed and was hitting his right hand on the door whenever he tried to change gear, haha. It is on the other side honey! And we were driving on the wrong lane sometimes. It's so funny now when I'm watching an American movie, it looks so weird that they are on the wrong side of the road haha. And I'm here for only 8 months. Long story short, you'll get used to it. Roads are really nice, there are bogans and hoons in traffic, I was thinking they are very polite (compared to my country) but now that I am here for some time... But still I enjoy driving here. There are trees everywhere, beautiful view. What I find difficult is driving during sunset. Because back home in Turkey, the sun doesn't hurt your eyes that much during sunset, because in most suburbs you cannot even see the sun among tall buildings and narrow streets... İn Perth... it is everywhere... not that I'm complaining, I love the weather in Perth.

There's nothing to worry about Jo, I actually find it easier here! For starters we've bought an automatic car, I'd never driven an automatic till I got here but it's great.

The roads are all big dual carriageways, the only single roads I've seen so far are on and around housing estates. There are very few roundabouts and roads all seem to be straight! There are a lot of traffic lights which are a pain especially as they take so long to change.

The first 2 weeks we were here I was very worried about having to drive on my own because everywhere looks the same I never had a clue where we were or how to get home, and my sense of direction is normally very good. However once my husband started his course and I was on my own I very quickly found my way around, and now I'm always saying to my husband u're going the wrong way!! It seems very much like America, the roads are in a big grid, so u've got long main roads that everywhere feeds off from. I use the sat nav on my phone the first time I need to go somewhere and then try to remember my own way home. But if u do take a wrong turn or miss a turn, everything seems to be in a square so if u keep turning in a square u eventually come to where u need to be!!

I've been warned that they are very strict on speeding here, my friend got a fine doing 4kph over the speed limit so driving seems a lot slower here cos people stick to the speed limits, I haven't felt pressured here to drive faster cos I've got some idiot right up behind me.

We've only been here 4 wks and I feel very comfortable and confident driving, so hopefully that will be one less thing for u to worry about x

Edited by GaznSal