If you go on holiday, where do you go?

LB1978

Hubby and I are procrastinating over the move Down Under to Perth. One of the things I think I'll miss about Scotland is such easy access to Europe and other places for a weekend/week away. We're quite lucky living in the UK to be able to be in another country in a couple of hours.

One of the appeals of Oz to us is that we won't feel the need to have to chase the sun every Summer as we'll be in it! But...where do you go if you fancy a getaway for the weekend or a couple of weeks? Do you miss being so close to other countries and cultures?

Think it depends on if you have kids or not and what age they are, how much money you have and if you have family back in the UK. At first we made a point of going back to the UK every two years. We also toured WA - up north in the July school hols as it was warmer and down south in the summer - loads of places to explore just in WA itself. We did camping until the kids were teenagers. We tried Bali when the kids were about 6 and 8 which was a good age to go but didn't feel the need to go back. Have been to Singapore - again lots for kids to do. Been skiing in Japan for the last 7 years - cheaper than the European resorts, less crowded and flights are cheaper all the time, some good packages there now. We've been to Malaysia, Thailand and Hong Kong- and Vietnam and Cambodia are on the list. One year we flew over to Sydney and hired a camper van and drove it via Canberra to Melbourne, also been to New Zealand. All these places are out of reach or too expensive from the UK. They're a bit far for a weekend though it is doable - I know of women who go t Bali Christmas shopping for a weekend! There are lovely places in WA for weekends. I think UK to Tenerife is 4 hours, - 4 hours on a plane here gets you to most of Asia.

Asia is on our doorstep so certainly don't feel that we're missing out on other countries or cultures. WA and Australia also have lots of places to explore. We've been over to QLD and are off to Melbourne for the weekend in July, We've flown to Broome for my hubbys 50th, been to Exmouth, Kalbari, Albany, Margaret River is great for weekends away. We've travelled to the US and will be going there again in November/December

We've been east for a long weekend and as others have said, camping around WA, music festivals etc.

We felt we'd explored Europe and whilst we miss Italy we were really excited about being able to hop into Asia.

We've been to Bali a few times and now know where we would stay for a weeks break. The kids love Singapore and we now have friends there which is handy. We went to Cambodia and Vietnam last year and it was magnificent and we're planning on heading back there next year.

Tassie will be on the cards for us later this year, NZ in 2016 too and we want to get to Melbourne for a weekend so I don't feel we miss out at all.

The climate and landscape changes so much within a few hours driving of Perth and it's so beautiful here with so much to discover I don't think we'll ever grow tired of it.

We have only holidayed in WA so far - mainly down to Margaret River.

We had spent a lot of time in Asia before we moved to Oz and to be honest, although Asia is closer, it is still a significant flight and a package from Oz is no cheaper - and often more expensive - than a package from the UK.

Until i started my current job in Sweden (i am working away from home in Oz for a few months), i had forgotten how nice it is to have europe available so close. The other weekend for example, i fancied a trip, so just drove to Norway for a day. I am thinking about a day trip to Finland. Both of which are a shorter drive than Perth to the east coast.

• 5 months later...