General Baby/child health care in OZ?

cutchibear

hi all,

Just wanting to pick your brains really.

I wondered how the general baby/child health system works over in OZ? We have a one year old little boy and since he was born we have had regular weigh in's with the health visitor, occasional visits and all the usual jabs.

Is there anything similar over in OZ? And if so, is this free/cost implications? My little boy will be fast approaching two by the time we emigrate but if we stay in OZ we will hopefully have another out there so trying to get my head around it all.

Any feedback much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest6235
I've just looked and the baby bonus has been slashed to $1000 as of March this year. $500 if its not your first.

Does mean you get this with a baby you take into oz or if you have the baby there. Also how do you claim the 1k, I'm guessing it's paid monthly or something.

any news on your child visa yet @DangerousDave ?

No, I don't expect to hear anything until I get the visa grant email. Medicals and police checks done. Should be mid Feb when we get it. I've only had two emails from them. One back in June to say do the medicals and police checks at the end of August and another to says thanks for sending the police certificates. I presume everything is in hand.

How you getting on?

hi @DangerousDave no update from us really - just had the email/letter saying get little boy's medicals done end of february.

If you've had the medicals/police checks done in August, and only expect it to be granted February, it doesn't give you long does it in the 12 month time frame to move over? They say the visa has to be activated 12 months from the medical date.....do you not think you may get it granted earlier???

hi @DangerousDave no update from us really - just had the email/letter saying get little boy's medicals done end of february.

If you've had the medicals/police checks done in August, and only expect it to be granted February, it doesn't give you long does it in the 12 month time frame to move over? They say the visa has to be activated 12 months from the medical date.....do you not think you may get it granted earlier???

I don't know why they do it this way with child visas but I suppose they assume you are ready to move if you are applying for one. I don't think it will come any earlier. They said it will take 9 months in my letter. I'd love it to be granted earlier so I can book the flights!

@DangerousDave I really hope it is granted earlier for you too! Then hopefully ours will come a lot quicker :)

Seems although we submitted ours a few months after you, that we are much further behind. Were you told exactly 9 months? Ours said 8-12. That's potentially a long time staying with family :wacko:

It's so frustrating as we've seen some great flights end of June - no chance they will be the same price come next year!

@DangerousDave I really hope it is granted earlier for you too! Then hopefully ours will come a lot quicker :)

Seems although we submitted ours a few months after you, that we are much further behind. Were you told exactly 9 months? Ours said 8-12. That's potentially a long time staying with family :wacko:

It's so frustrating as we've seen some great flights end of June - no chance they will be the same price come next year!

I've just checked my letter and it says processing time is at least 9 months from the date of lodgement. I've seen some cheap flights too. You can still take the little fella on a tourist visa, but you will need to take him out of the country for 3 days when the visa is ready to be granted. It says this at the bottom of my letter. It's quite common apparently. We've thought about this as we have some mates in Singapore we would like to visit and flights are quite cheap from Perth. I'd rather us all have PR when we arrive though.

You get more contacts with child health nurses in Australia than the UK. You get a home visit when the baby is born, then you can attend the clinic when the baby is 6-8 weeks, 3-4 months, 8 months, 18 months and 3 years for development assessments. They have weekly baby clinics for weighing, you can attend a clinic or GP for immunisations. When pregnant if you have maternity private heakth cover you can deliver on the private side of the hospital if not you deliver on the public side.

Yes private healthcare allows you to deliver at the private side if the hospital otherwise it's the public side. If you are coming on a 457 you have to have private insurance, I don't know if you are entitled to Medicare. As a PR you register for Medicare, you show Medicare for immunisations so you don't get charged and yes the baby clinic and assessments aren't charged with the chikd health nurse. As a PR you are still better to get health insurance and if you earn over a certain threshold I think around $165k if you don't take out heakth insurance it affects your tax.

Guest Guest6235
Yes private healthcare allows you to deliver at the private side if the hospital otherwise it's the public side. If you are coming on a 457 you have to have private insurance, I don't know if you are entitled to Medicare. As a PR you register for Medicare, you show Medicare for immunisations so you don't get charged and yes the baby clinic and assessments aren't charged with the chikd health nurse. As a PR you are still better to get health insurance and if you earn over a certain threshold I think around $165k if you don't take out heakth insurance it affects your tax.

Circumstances could always change though I suppose, you could take insurance out if your household earns over $165k (or do you mean an individual) then one of you gets made redundant or some other event that takes a wage away. What would you do then, can you then put insurance on hold or cancel.