Can someone recommend some HONEST kid dentists in Perth?

ozpete

Hi,

Can someone recommend some good old fashioned HONEST dentists in Perth? We arrived in Perth recently and our little daughter’s (8 years) temporary filling on her milk teeth has not worked. May be need some procedures or worse a couple need to be extracted. We phoned a few kid dentists and consulted two of them. But all of them portrayed the issue as some tragedy and suggested all sorts of Xrays, hospitalisation and extraction under general anaesthetic, etc. I asked why not extract one by one on the chair. They said they didn’t want to be responsible for a traumatized child!! Probably we grew up in mars! When I heard the quotation for their plan (around $6k, I was told it's only a ball park figure) I understood that the $sign was written all over the plan. We refused and walked out, only to find that our initial consultancy fee had more than doubled to an “extended consultancy”.

I am yet to get an insurance, but nowadays there are adverts on telly “join now and claim now”. I am not sure what’s the catch. But my concerns are not just the cost, even if the insurance pays 100% (definitely no) I would not let my dear daughter go through some procedures that are unnecessary and not without risks, but devised just to earn money.

May be we cannot mention names on this forum as it would be like promoting, if so please send me a PM. I am in Canning Vale, but willing to drive any distance.

Thanks a lot

Hi

Best advice l can give you is to go online to www.smile.com.au it will explain all about what dentist stuff they cover, its a fantastic way of getting dentistry work for kids and family. Join up and you have instant cover from the moment you pay, it is not extortionate price either, just have a look, no obligation, l have been with them for about 2 years now, They are not private health care rip off... they are based in Brisbane..but provide cover all over australia .... have associated dentists linked to them, site will show you that as well, l should be getting commission from them for the amount of times l tell people about it *sigh* clever me found out....family $97.00 .. single $77 .. couple $87 .. single parent $87 per year to join.

Hi,

Can someone recommend some good old fashioned HONEST dentists in Perth? We arrived in Perth recently and our little daughter’s (8 years) temporary filling on her milk teeth has not worked. May be need some procedures or worse a couple need to be extracted. We phoned a few kid dentists and consulted two of them. But all of them portrayed the issue as some tragedy and suggested all sorts of Xrays, hospitalisation and extraction under general anaesthetic, etc. I asked why not extract one by one on the chair. They said they didn’t want to be responsible for a traumatized child!! Probably we grew up in mars! When I heard the quotation for their plan (around $6k, I was told it's only a ball park figure) I understood that the $sign was written all over the plan. We refused and walked out, only to find that our initial consultancy fee had more than doubled to an “extended consultancy”.

I am yet to get an insurance, but nowadays there are adverts on telly “join now and claim now”. I am not sure what’s the catch. But my concerns are not just the cost, even if the insurance pays 100% (definitely no) I would not let my dear daughter go through some procedures that are unnecessary and not without risks, but devised just to earn money.

May be we cannot mention names on this forum as it would be like promoting, if so please send me a PM. I am in Canning Vale, but willing to drive any distance.

Thanks a lot

Edited by realitynotincluded

Guest Guest6235

I will also make a note of this so thanks @realitynotincluded. So do you pay a joining fee then pay a monthly fee and is this monthly fee cheaper than other health insurance? Also I'm guessing you would still get a big bill if your child required braces.

May be I am wrong, it looks like a very good deal, but if I scratch deeper I am not convinced. The annual cost is peanuts but it assumes that you see an honest dentist. Call me a cynic, with this policy you would get 40% on all dental costs, but you are obliged to go to their “recommended dentists”. If the real cost is $100 and they jack up to $200 (very easy to do) and give you 40% off, you still end up short changed by $20. As I understand it still incentivises to do unnecessary work. I doubt any busy dentists would join the recommended list as they have to give discount and at no cost to the insurance company. I checked their list, there are 22 dentists between Albany and Alkimos, not sure out of how many. My apologies if I have not read the policy in detail. I am not saying others are any better, not much different. I guess I should not complain because rock is hard and water is wet!

Hi all,

This is a very interesting post!! We are due too fly around the end of the month and have a 14 year old with fixed braces upper and lower. She went to the orthodontist yesterday and they said she only maybe needs to be seen two more times before her treatment is finished!!!

Anybody gone through this and have any good orthodontics they can recommend?? I have emailed one practice but they do not continue dentistry work from the UK!!!!

Looks like we could be flying back just to get her braces seen to!!! Be a darn site cheaper by the sounds of it as well!!!!

What about the dentist that the children get seen by through the schools?? Do these also charge the earth??

Any advice very welcomed!!!!

Jess xxxx

Hi, we joined HBF and got the essentials package and hardly pay anything for the dentist. My daughters have been today and the bill was $500 and we didn't pay anything at all. We use an HBF recognised dentist as well in Scarborough. Hbf may well have an offer at the moment so worth looking at their site as sometimes you can join and claim straight away.

Its a one off payment a year to smile they then have dentists joined to them who will do dentistry. l have had an implant cuz l didn't want a false tooth.... usually $5000 l paid $3000 and l am a happy bunny. The dentist charges you minus up to 40% on the day you have the work done, It is instant discount no waiting or claiming back you can also claim on your private insurance to get any further discount.

I will also make a note of this so thanks @realitynotincluded. So do you pay a joining fee then pay a monthly fee and is this monthly fee cheaper than other health insurance? Also I'm guessing you would still get a big bill if your child required braces.

School dentists will not remove teeth in the chair. Most private dentists will not either for children.

The expense is not so much the dentist, but the cost of the hospital time,bed and anesthetist.

My daughter had two teeth removed at the school dentist - although this was a few years ago - have things changed? I have to say the school dentist in Leeming did a fantastic repair job on my sons tooth which chipped. The kids can also get free dental during HS

Hi Ali' date='

Have you had any braces through the school dentist??

Thanks Jess x[/quote']

No we had to go to an orthodontist who excellent - still seeing my daughter for follow up (she's 19 now) and I haven't paid a cent more than the initial cost. For me the winner was when I took my son, and the Ortho said that he didn't need a brace ... he could have said he did and took my money lol

No we had to go to an orthodontist who excellent - still seeing my daughter for follow up (she's 19 now) and I haven't paid a cent more than the initial cost. For me the winner was when I took my son, and the Ortho said that he didn't need a brace ... he could have said he did and took my money lol

Good to know someone honest like that. My daughter would need braces but a few years down the road.

What kind of monthy costs are you looking at for that @82rhoads and does it cover extractions/braces/fill ins etc.

$28 a fortnight for the essentials pack. Worked well for us so far. I think braces are major dental and fillings are just regular dental so you get a percentage of the cost back for the odd filling. We wouldn't do without it but I know some Aussies who don't bother with private health care.

Guest Guest6235

I actually looked at this on Saturday night on HBF website but couldn't get a price as their site just kept freezing. They had the dental and major dental options but then you could choose 2 other options of health cover you wanted, one being orthodontics, so I'm guessing braces isn't covered in major. The health websites don't make it easy with the variety of options and some looking almost the same.

Hi there,

I am a dentist working in Perth (UK trained, been here a couple of years). I can help answer some of your questions as I know the world of private dentistry can be daunting and confusing to most compared to what you were used to in the UK (NHS).

@The Jamesy&\#39;s

I would ring round some more orthodontists or even go to their practice to ask if they will continue with your daughter's ortho treatment. There are orthodontists who will complete her treatment. It may be helpful if your current orthodontist writes down a letter detailing the treatment provided so far and take this to the Australian orthodontist.

@ozpete

I personally think the school dentists provide a great service (and free). The problem you may have is getting to see one quickly. I would definitely try them first.

If she cannot be seen soon enough then I would recommend getting private health insurance with dental cover i.e. HBF essentials. I believe children get free treatment with any dentist who are HBF preferred providers. All dentists in general practice should be able to treat your daughter for her filling. The problem is her compliance with the needle and keeping her mouth open. If she is fine with these 2 things then filling her tooth should be simple. I would call a practice and ask the receptionist if they would recommend a dentist in their practice who is good with kids.

To everyone else...

Not all school dentists are dentists, a lot of them are dental therapists. They do everything a dentist does except extract or root canal adult teeth. They treat children all day and generally get better compliance from them compared to dentists in private practice IMO.

Orthodontics is expensive (around $7k). I am not sure if orthodontic cover on private health is worth it, you pay a lot for your premiums but with little cover unless you had top cover for over 10 years and still only get covered for roughly $3000. If there is little difference between premiums for a basic dental and top dental covering orthodontics or you think you need top cover for crowns and root canal then get top dental, but if you are paying more than £400 per year difference and your family have good teeth then you would be better off putting that extra money into a savings account and using it when the time comes.

Also, most dental practices have a few dentists working under one roof. Unfortunately not all dentists were created equal and some have questionable skill and ethics. There may be a bad apple working along side the the good ones. To find one you are happy with and trust, I would get recommendations from friends, internet reviews (although be careful with these) and ask the receptionist for their recommendation. If you think the quoted price of treatment is too much or you think you are being over-treated then see another dentist and get a second opinion (take a copy of your x-rays). This may cost you around $50 but may save you several hundreds! I have done this a few times for people and it is reassuring you are being treated ethically.