Thermomix?

verystormy

I was just at a demonstration the other week, and it did look good but doesnt really do anything that you cant do with any of your other gadgets except cook some of the stuff in it. The demonstrator was all oooh ahh look what this can do, but I can do everything she done with it just with different pieces of equipment that I already have, ok its more convenient but I would rather wash a few seperate kitchen gadgets than pay $2000 for something that does what I can do already.

She made a dip yes it was good, but all she done was chop some herbs finely and mix with a tub of Philly - you can do that with a $12 stick blender from Coles.

Made sorbet - be honest - how often to you have sorbet

made a risotto - not really hard to do in a pan

get the idea?

As Weedolly. My first impression was, why?

I think they have their uses but those are so minimal for me that I couldn't justify the expense. I have a Magimix, a mini blender, a rice cooker, a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, a stick blender and an ice cream maker. Why would I need one gadget that effectively ties all of these items up?

When we sourced products for the commercial kitchen we set up we all agreed - why do we need this? $2k was a lot of money that we spent on loads of other stuff that gave us loads more flexibility.

Having said that, I saw a friend make lemon curd in one and thought it was excellent.

Interesting.

I actully don't have many gadgets in the kitchen. Just a very small and very crap processor that I hate as it needs a million parts assembling to use and is awful to clean.

So, have been looking at buying some bits. But a good mixer is $600, then a new processor and some other bits and pieces I would love and the cost is pretty high. Also the new house will be tighter on storage as we couldn't afford over head cupboards. So a single appliance sat on the bench appeals. There is a place on line offering them shipped to Oz for $1500 and has good reviews.

But, it is not going to be in the next 12 months. Maybe if I am a good boy Santa will bring Christmas 2015.

VS

My friend who loves cooking has one and she loves it and is always raving at us about how good it is. She even converted a friend who cannot cook, to show how easy it was, and know the said friend is cooking all the time. I would love one, but could not justify the $2,000.

I don't know about other parts of the UK, but where I am (Scotland) NO ONE has one! They are such a fad in Australia right now. A lot of my friends in Oz have one... But, as with portlaunay above I have all the other bits and pieces and I really don't see how a Thermomix can compare with bread made in the Breville breadmaker, or a cake made with the KitchenAid mixer etc. But, if you've no room in your kitchen and you're not a keen cook then maybe a Thermomix is the way to go. However, I still come back to my point that no one I know here in the UK has one. I see them on Great British Menu but that's about all...