Dishwasher Salt

lozzachino

Hi all,

We recently moved into a new area NOR and bought a Samsung dishwasher. All my glass stuff is coming out with white marks all over and I think its the water quality. Never had this issue in previous rentals with two other makes of dishwasher.

Samsung don't have a salt section so I was wondering if I can add salt in with my powder (Samsung technician and Good Guys told me to but they weren't sure how much to add).

I also read you arent supposed to put it anywhere except the salt section (which i obviously cant do as i dont have one - knew we should have got a Bosch!) but does anyone else do this?

Also, I can't find dishwasher salt in the shops but have been told to use pool salt (which comes in 25kg bags - think that will last a while!) - does anyone else do this and does it work ok?

Only alternative is to return said Samsung and get the Bosch I wanted in the first place which actually has a salt compartment.

Thanks all :)

Apparently you don't need to use dishwasher salt in WA as the water is generally soft to medium and salt is only required in hard water areas. We have a Miele which has a salt compartment but it's never used as we can't get the dishwasher salt from any of the supermarkets...reason being is most people don't need it because we have soft water. The dishwasher light is constantly on and we just ignore it.

Edited by Lou8670

Hi all,

We recently moved into a new area NOR and bought a Samsung dishwasher. All my glass stuff is coming out with white marks all over and I think its the water quality. Never had this issue in previous rentals with two other makes of dishwasher.

Samsung don't have a salt section so I was wondering if I can add salt in with my powder (Samsung technician and Good Guys told me to but they weren't sure how much to add).

I also read you arent supposed to put it anywhere except the salt section (which i obviously cant do as i dont have one - knew we should have got a Bosch!) but does anyone else do this?

Also, I can't find dishwasher salt in the shops but have been told to use pool salt (which comes in 25kg bags - think that will last a while!) - does anyone else do this and does it work ok?

Only alternative is to return said Samsung and get the Bosch I wanted in the first place which actually has a salt compartment.

Thanks all :)

Sounds more like lack of rinse aid.

In the UK you can check all your water readings and set salt and rinse aid settings accordingly, (we have boosh sorry). Maybe you can check that in Perth?

you will need to use Salt in WA/Perth, the water hardness depends on the location but is generally around 4degress to 14 degrees of hardness, none the less at 4degrees the dishwasher will still run water through the salt section of dishwasher,

Whom ever told you Perth has good water is telling lies,

If you are in any doubt phone watercorp and they will be able to give you the rough guide of hardness for your area,

Do Not put salt inside the cabinet along with your dishes, this will corrode the cabinet and void your warranty,

Miele sell their own products including Salt, you can buy online or down at the showroom,

My advise is return the dishwasher and buy a Miele far more expensive but very very good quality,

I've lived here 10 years and never used salt in my dishwasher and my stuff comes out fine. I use good quality tablets and rinse aid and make sure I keep all the filters clean and run an empty hot cycle every month and chuck a load of bicarb in the bottom.

Coles & woolies sell Saxa rock salt in 1kg bags, its the same stuff, another thing you need to consider if you are living NOR is the hard water, it ruins everything quickly, we stayed in a rental in Burns Beach which was only 18 months old, all the taps were leaking & stained, the dishwasher was new as the old one gave up, no doubt down to the quality of the water, the glass shower screens were ruined, the dark bathroom floor tiles & shower trays were ruined, I have just invested in a huge whole house water filtration system for my new house, im hoping it will help

Without giving out to much? I'm a plumber, gas fitter, and part of my job is too test the water hardness of installations I attend,

And believe me, 10 years, 15 years living here doesn't matter,

I could say I've not had a head ache since living here for 10 years!!

It's only advice, if you have poor wash results it's more likely down to water hardness or using quick wash,

Coles & woolies sell Saxa rock salt in 1kg bags, its the same stuff, another thing you need to consider if you are living NOR is the hard water, it ruins everything quickly, we stayed in a rental in Burns Beach which was only 18 months old, all the taps were leaking & stained, the dishwasher was new as the old one gave up, no doubt down to the quality of the water, the glass shower screens were ruined, the dark bathroom floor tiles & shower trays were ruined, I have just invested in a huge whole house water filtration system for my new house, im hoping it will help

Were the stains a reddy brown colour?

• 4 weeks later...