Which internet provider to go for?

Andy7

Internode have been good for us - they have really good customer service, you'd want their Naked Broadband without a phoneline (although if your suburb has "run out of internet" as our had (Burns Beach) you'll have to pay Telstra an additional $300 to put in a new phone line which you will never use...) Internode have a good streaming radio service, which isn't counted in your downloads, so you can listen to the snowy weather forecasts and M1 delays on Absolute Radio from your poolside! Also ABC catch up TV is free from your download quota, as is Aussie Netflix. Internet prices are LOT higher than I had been used to paying in the UK, and download limits are a pain sometimes, especially with a VPN and an iPlayer habit to feed!

If its an apartment block chances are its smart and wired for fibre, if it is there will only be a number of suppliers you can go with unless you go down the 4G route, check with your agent first to see if its wired for fibre, if it is then you will have to sign up with one of three suppliers as they own the wires etc, its well worth doing as the private suppliers have a better speed than even Telstras new NbN

If its an apartment block chances are its smart and wired for fibre, if it is there will only be a number of suppliers you can go with unless you go down the 4G route, check with your agent first to see if its wired for fibre, if it is then you will have to sign up with one of three suppliers as they own the wires etc, its well worth doing as the private suppliers have a better speed than even Telstras new NbN

Thanks for the reply guys, I will check these suppliers out. I have checked on the NBN website and are address is currently not covered. I also keep seeing advertisments for "iinet" and have heard a few good things about them.

• 1 month later...

iinet here. Pretty decent, but too many times I have no internet. It happens a few times a month for a short period. Twice in 3 months that I had no internet for 3 or 4 hours (unacceptable). Download speed is less than 800 KB/s which is not too bad. Although it could be much better obviously.

Called their support once and they try to blame my modem first, then they try to scare you by saying if a mechanic comes by and he can't find anything you have to pay. But it takes 2 days for someone to come by. In the meantime chances are big it is resolved automatically already.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had issues with Telstra, Optus, iiNet and Vivid Wireless.

None are that great to be honest.

Check what you need. vivid do a WiMax setup, that includes free calls, but the speed can be a little poor (but unlimited downloads).

Also check your area, not all providers are available in all areas. If none are available, you'll have to deal with Telstra for at least 3 months to get a phone line installed.

I am with Vodaphone. I pay $40 a month top up using my own mobile phone and get 90mins free international calls. Free calls within OZ and get 5.5Gb of data. I tether my iPhone to my laptop and it works anywhere. This equates to about 20 quid in the UK very cheap indeed, I think.

If you are not doing loads of downloading or streaming on your computer and just using it to stay in touch, look around the net, emails and such it is good value. I have no phone line in my apartment and this 5.5Gb does me fine. You can always find WiFi somewhere as well.

I use Spintel.net.au but I'm currently in rural WA, until next week. Out here my service is brilliant. Decent speeds and it never fails. I only imagine, as well as getting cheaper, it will be even better service once I reach Perth. I'm on an unlimited plan, great for Netflix and it includes line rental. A smaller broadband provider but highly recommended in my opinion.

Edited by Anthony