Family Budget

gemedwards

Hello all,

I am desperate to get an unbiased and real view on monthly outgoings for the average family in Perth. My brother and sister in law have been out there for 18 months and have been extremely helpful, however as they are both very well paid and so laid back they're horizontal they don't really do budgets. Myself and my husband earn a combined wage of £57000 in the UK with me working Part-time and we own our own 3 bed detached house in Norfolk. I would like to continue working part-time in Oz and looking at our job prospects we would be hoping to earn around $100-130,000. Financial gains is certainly not on our list of reasons to emigrate, however I am just very worried about leaving ourselves financially worse off with the increase in mortgage payments, Medical Insurance, Childcare/school fees etc.

Sooooo to the point. If anyone is willing to share their current Weekly or Monthly figures with me including all outgoings, down to food, mobilephone bills, gyms etc i would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Gemma

Happy to share mine

iinet $69.99

Medibank Private $279.28 (full cover family of 4)

Foxtel $160.00 (full package)

Optus $79.99 (2 people SIM only)

House Insurance Comminsure $133.98

Medibank Pet Insurance $176.49

Gas DD $40.00

Electric DD $100.00

Water DD $100.00

Shire rates $150

Rego $55.00

Car Insurance $50 (Ford Focus diesel 2012)

Food $1,500.00 (family of 3, 2 adults and 1 15 year old)

Diesel $100.00

No rent / mortgage or life ins included in there something to bear in mind

I didn't include rent or mortgage because that figure will differ massively from person to person and most people who are renting know roughly from the internet what that costs. As for life insurance just haven't got around to that one yet.

Hello

Here is our basic, we live in a modest 4 x 2, no pool but we do have retic.

TPG (internet and home phone) $69.99

Bupa Private $244.50 (full cover family of 5)

Foxtel $26.00 only need basic so I can catch UK TV

Vodaphone $50.00 (1 people SIM only)

House Insurance Woolworths $114.50

PSCA Pet Insurance 1 dofg 1 cat $81.00

Gas DD $100.00

Electric DD $200.00

Water DD $180.00

Shire rates $191

Rego $210 and car maintenance for 2 cars

Car Insurance $95 2010 Ford Fiesta and 2009 Volvo XC90

Petrol for 2 cars $425 per month

Food $1,500.00 but thats basic, not including nice lunch stuff we buy at the weekend

Strata insurance $15

Life insurance 1 person $95, hubbies is in his super.

School fees - $233, and that's public not private.

Obviously the above list does not include our mortage, social outings, clothing, prescriptions, physio etc but it gives an idea of monthly expenses. As you can see mine varies somewhat from Arwens for certain things. All three of my childen take money for lunches as their school bags are so heavy they really don't have room for packed lunches, but I know lots of kids that do take lunches.

Financially, we are worse off here than we were in the UK, but we moved here purely for a different way of life. My husband still has a very busy job with lots of stresses, but he is home most days by 6pm, in the UK he was rarely home before 8.00pm and then had lots of work to do after everyone had gone to bed. Don't get me wrong, you still have to make beds, wash floors etc and go to work, but the family time here I think is better spent. We all still really miss close family and friends but have decided after living here for 3 and half years, those scarficies have been worth it, as for us personally, life is so much better here. We are lucky because all 3 of our children feel the same way, and consider Perth their home now.

Don't get me wrong, it was very hard when we first moved here, it took hubby 8 months to find work, luckily we had planned financially for him taking about a year. I have found friends can be "superficial" here, and got my fingers burnt. Luckily I have made some good friends, many of them off here (you know who you are girls, even though I don't get to see you all as much as like due to all of us having work committments), and being from all over Perth from Rockingham up to Mullaloo, from all walks of life.

Hope it helps.

XX

We're still setting up so we've had no bills yet, food is more expensive we've spent between $300- $350 a week for 2 adults and 2 children 14 and 10. We haven't braved going out for dinner yet! Weve bought 3 mobiles and are on $10 long expiry sims as we have no friends to text, just calls in emergencies and eachother if we have to as most communication is done online. We don't have a home phone and use freeview tv so naked broadband with iinet is $70 a month. Only filled the car up twice and it was $40 ish for a full tank 1.8 family hatchback of unleaded. Weve just paid $160 for the year for youngests school fees in a state school. Uniforms and stationery is expensive once they start school too.

We are interested to see what the monthly outgoings will be, and we can cement the monthly budget properly once hubby starts work.