Internet Provider question

piccolo

hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm finding the internet provider sites pretty confusing!

I'm looking at iig and tpg for home internet and phone. I surf the net pretty much all evening once the baby is in bed and I figure I'll now also want it for viewing episodes of TV shows from home or movies. It would also be nice to have international calls from a landline too.

So which do you find the best value?

we are with iinet & we took their contract deal which includes:

wireless modem

landline with free local calls

200gb of data 50% peak & 50% off peak

costs us $80 a month.

So far it's been miles faster than the service we had in the UK & we have 2 iPhones, PS3, Smart TV, foxtel, bluray, Wii, Apple TV, 2 laptops & a partridge in a peartree all running off it.

OK looking at that list for 2 people is rather embarrassing!!

Westnet are owned by iinet. If you sign up to a contract they will will provide you with a modem for nothing. When we were with them they did 1/2 hour international calls to Ireland for $2 but the pain was having to hang up before the half hour as then they charged you by the minute.

Alternatively as you are moving to Dalyellup, it's a smart community so you don't need a phone line if you don't want one. We use e-wire which costs us $48 per month (there are cheaper plans) and gives you 30GB per month. On top of that we use VOIP with a company called Engin. That costs us $40 per month which gives us unlimited local, national and mobile calls and free international calls to 8 countries which includes Ireland. You can do a $20 plan which doesn't include calls to mobiles. If you go down this route you don't have to sign up with Telstra for a phone line and that saves you $20 odd dollars per month for line rental.

There is a bit to get your head around. All these data allowances are a bit of a pain. Not like Ireland where you just sign up and have unlimited downloads. I think iinet has those sorts of plans for a big fee, but 30GB is a hell of a lot of downloads and uploads.

Well I am not saying I really knew what the hell I was signing up for but it's all worked out well for us. Get in touch and I can have a chat or if you're in Bunbury this weekend, then drop in. The kids are trashing the place, but if you don't mind the mess, we can show you the setup.