Welcome to the Perth Poms Forum.
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Job prospects in Perth (applying before I leave the UK?)

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      overlandandsea is on a distinguished road
      Status

Job prospects in Perth (applying before I leave the UK?)

Hi everyone :)

Just a quick question regarding the current job market in perth. I'm wondering whether it would be wise to apply for jobs before I leave the UK or whether I could wing it and would have just a good a chance of getting a job once I'm there.

I've got plenty of experience in retail and barwork (I understand I would need to take a qualification for barwork) so I'm sure I could find a job in Coles or something to tide me over if needed, but I'm really interested in office work. I have a year's experience in the payable side of finance (entry level) which is what I would be aiming for but I don't really know if there's much competition at the moment.

I hold Australian citizenship so I don't need an employer to sponsor me, which I think will help.

Thanks!

Title
      Liked
      969 times
      Rep
      Rossmoyne is on a distinguished road
      Status
      It is very hard to obtain work unless you are in Australia as future employers like to interview face to face mostly unless you have incredible skills unavailable in the country. Sorry but in your fields of expertise in retail and barwork, you are going to be in the mix with everyone else when you arrive back in Oz. Good Luck though!

Title
      Liked
      275 times
      Rep
      jamesw is on a distinguished road
      Status
      To do bar work, you will need to complete a RSA, which is an online assessment. Follow this up with a bar managers assessment. The RSA cost around $60 and the manager assessment cost around $250.
      I'm an Aussie now, so should I be here??

http://webbs-on-the-move.blogspot.com/
      (Not used now, but may help you get an idea what we went through!)

Title
      Liked
      681 times
      Rep
      StraighttothePoint is on a distinguished road
      Status
      Quote Originally Posted by overlandandsea View Post
      I'm sure I could find a job in Coles or something to tide me over if needed.
      I would not bank on that!! My wife works there and they are cutting back on staffing at her branch. Not so easy as you may think to grab a few hours in Coles as it used to be. It is all about budgets and Coles not selling as much as they should be in some areas due to the high costs.

As for applying for jobs from the UK did you not ask that in another post? Somebody recently did and the advice from most folk on here was not a chance really and face to face was a must.

Plenty of jobs adverts for accounts payable in the local Western Australian so get out here and just apply would be the go.

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      AussiMel is on a distinguished road
      Status
      I have over 15 years experience working in the Finance Sector, and have been looking for any office work since arriving in September. Like yourself, I am an Australian Citizen, so have been able to claim newstart and family tax benefit to tie me over until I do manage to find a job, that has been a godsend. I did apply for a few before, I arrived, but it is probably better to apply when you arrive in Perth.

Title
      Liked
      1702 times
      Rep
      travelchic is on a distinguished road
      Status
      Hi all.

I am hoping to move to Perth this year and wanted to secure a job first. I will be moving as a single parent with my 6year old son and need the security of a job that will be suitable for me given my circumstances. Is it unlikely that I will be able to do this before leaving the UK?

Deb.

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      AussiMel is on a distinguished road
      Status
      I would think it is possible, but would depend on what job you do. Are you coming over on a PR Visa or as an Australian Citizen? As you would be able to claim family tax benefit part A and B, and if you are an Aussie Citizen you should be able to apply for Parenting Payment as well. I am a single parent, but my daughter is 10, so I get newstart, you would have to apply for child support from your son's father, otherwise family tax part A goes down to the basic rate unless there is a good reason why it cannot be paid.

Title
      Liked
      665 times
      Rep
      Give me a break! is on a distinguished road
      Status
      It is worth bearing in mind that if your occupation is not on the Skills in demand list then it's unlikely that you will be lucky enough to get that position whilst still in the UK. Also when you get here you will be up against loads of wives and girlfriends ( normally ) who are also after the unskilled jobs.

Title
      Liked
      1702 times
      Rep
      travelchic is on a distinguished road
      Status
      Sorry, I should of mentioned that I am a nurse. Do I have to ask my sons father for maintenance money then. Was hoping to avoid that. He's just about allowing me to take our son out of the country. If I ask him for money too I think he might get angry and withhold consent x

Title
      Liked
      681 times
      Rep
      StraighttothePoint is on a distinguished road
      Status
      Is WA really any differnet to anywhere else. If you have a skill that is on a list of job types that are hard to fill then you will have a better chance of getting one both remotely and when here. If you have a run of the mill skill and/or lack of experience and are here looking for a position that is not the main income earner then as GmaB says above you will be up against a large number of other immigrants and also those that live here permanently, and others from other parts of Australia, who have come here because it is the place to be. This is not just about a few thousand folk coming from Blighty.

It is a daunting thought but why why should this place be any different? I realise that there is an issue whereby there is an arguement that says they let me in because I am on a skill shortages list and now I cannot get a job or there are no vacancies in that area. However it is the governemnt who let you in not the employers and when do you ever trust a politician?

The reality of coming here is that there are a number of well paid jobs in a number of sectors and then there are literally thousands of people searching for a low number of other vacancies. (It does not matter if the govenment also says unemployment is at its lowest figure ever because again that is just a numbers game. No vacanices or limted vacancies is the real fact of the matter.) And just because on paper you have all the right qualifications and experience should you get the jobs before the Aussies? If the ball was on the other foot.......

Perhaps the issue is that if you are coming here you probably need to have a gung ho atitude to life and just give it a go. If you need to set things up before you arrive to either give yourself confidence or a safety net then is this the right place for you? Perth is one of the most remote cities in the world and so things here are different. That is just the way of things here.
      Rossmoyne and GreigT like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast