Seeking job in Perth - Teacher, Change Manager, Business Analyst

Ezi

Dear members,

My husband, myself and our 13 m/o son will be moving to Perth in Feb 2015. We have not figured out any accommodations but reckon that won’t be as difficult as finding a job.

We are currently on state sponsorship under Skilled Migrant visa. I currently worked as a Change Manager/Business Analyst in a global investment bank here in Singapore and I have been actively looking for a similar post in Perth, in the hope of securing myself a job before moving. I have tried looking for one for over a year and nothing positive came out of it.

Similarly with my husband, who is a Primary school teacher. I think he needs to get his accreditation first as English is not our first language here.

We now have decided that we are going to the plunge - drop everything we have back home and move there. It is a scary thought but we thought that if we don’t do this now, then we will never will.

Reading some of the posts here have been both encouraging and scary at the same time - with posting where employers look for local employees over us. I really appreciate any form of advise from those who were in our shoes. I guess as a start, I would like to have a sense on how is the job market there and if there are any good job sites which we could refer to. Seek job portal has been our source of job seeking so far.

Thank you all for your time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ezi,

I myself is a migrant and also having a lot of friends with similar case like you. There are a few concerns you have pointed:

1. Accommodation:

It is easy to get a rental anywhere in Perth but do check the area, some are extremely expensive and some can be very cheap (but dodgy neighborhood). So do check around and I guess you have someone you know here to check with?

2. Your job:

Pretty impressed with your job and I guess you manage to obtained your visa via your career too. Make sure you do some homework on the requirements needed for resume in job application here in Aus as it can be different from Singapore. (I used to work in Singapore before and I understand that).

As for the job engine, apart from SEEK, I would advice you to have a list of the companies here and send them express of interest by emails or by mail. Job engines are very convenient and that is why it is too competitive as well.

3. Your husband's job

Education is pretty demanding here. But ensure your husband seek advice from ACECQA (Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority) to check your husband's eligibility in getting into education sector in WA. [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]http://www.acecqa.gov.au/regulatory-authorities1/contact-your-regulatory-authority

[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 50%]

I hope the information provided are helpful. You can email me if you need help with those. Best of luck Ezi!

[/TD]

[TD=width: 50%][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Dear members,

My husband, myself and our 13 m/o son will be moving to Perth in Feb 2015. We have not figured out any accommodations but reckon that won’t be as difficult as finding a job.

We are currently on state sponsorship under Skilled Migrant visa. I currently worked as a Change Manager/Business Analyst in a global investment bank here in Singapore and I have been actively looking for a similar post in Perth, in the hope of securing myself a job before moving. I have tried looking for one for over a year and nothing positive came out of it.

Similarly with my husband, who is a Primary school teacher. I think he needs to get his accreditation first as English is not our first language here.

We now have decided that we are going to the plunge - drop everything we have back home and move there. It is a scary thought but we thought that if we don’t do this now, then we will never will.

Reading some of the posts here have been both encouraging and scary at the same time - with posting where employers look for local employees over us. I really appreciate any form of advise from those who were in our shoes. I guess as a start, I would like to have a sense on how is the job market there and if there are any good job sites which we could refer to. Seek job portal has been our source of job seeking so far.

Thank you all for your time!

have you had any interviews for change management jobs? My husband also works in change management but has held off applying for jobs until he gets there, or at least until he's nearly there (in April). We feel that he won't be considered unless he's based in Perth already.

Hi minniejlh, yes I do have relatives in Perth who has been helping us out with accommodations. We are eyeing balga suburbs for now.

I am currently on visa 176 (which is equivalent to 190 I think). It has been tough looking for one. Would you be able to elaborate more on the resume requirement? Is it more on the format of the resume or ensuring that the job requirement matches my resume?

My husband has been going through TBRWA. Are they similar or does he still have to go through ACECQA?

But we will certainly check out ACECQA.

Thank you so much for your advice! I'll certainly keep in touch with you.

Hi Ezi,

I can only comment about your husband's occupation, but I hope I can help a bit. The TRBWA is the correct place to get his registration for WA. I had to do the IELTS for it, as my qualifications are from Germany. To go into the "pool" for public schools, he then has to apply into the teacher's pool with the department of Education. In February, the new school year will have only just started, so there will be hardly any jobs. Unfortunately, there are hardly any jobs for primary teachers anyway. And even less next year, as year7 is moving to high schools. I have been here for more than 3 years, and am still not back in teaching as it just seems to be impossible to get something. For most private schools, you have to be an "active member" of a christian church... Sorry, but it will be very tough for him to find a teaching position. Once you're here, he can go to schools in the area and hand in his CV for relief teaching, but then you never know if you'll have work the next day, and I found it very demanding and difficult to never know that, or to never know if I'd be in a nice or a horrible class, in kindy or in year 7... I did it for a semester, and have worked in a completely different field since then.

As for Balga, I wouldn't recommend that area. I lived in Balcatta for 2 years, which was ok. Generally, you can say to avoid the suburbs directly east of Wanneroo Road, the ones west of Wanneroo Road are generally ok.

Hope this helped a bit, good luck with everything!

Hi, I would encourage your husband to sort his trbwa as soon as he can. Mines was painless as I got mutual recognition as I was registered in Victoria but it seems like a real nightmare for some people.

I agree with the previous post that primary teaching jobs are tough to get. I arrived in sept but starting applying around July!! Huge amount of adverts but obviously a lot more teachers applying. Getting no after no is really tough but I guess that's what happens. I was really lucky and had a couple of offers. I got a years post through an appointment pool however I kept applying for permanent jobs and any in catholic schools as that's what I really wanted. I ended up getting one last week so all the hard work, constant knock backs has been worth it!! I also did some relief which was fine, just over $400 a day!! Plus no commitment of after school sports etc however, again as the previous post says you just don't know where u will end up! Suppose it all depends on your character.

Good of luck with it all.

Hi sunflower79, Martins

Thank you so much for these advices!

My hubby is awaiting his IELTS results which will be released tomorrow. Once that is done, he is left with his accreditation which he plans to do when he set foot in Perth after the 9th Jan. He decided to go earlier than us to get that sorted out. It seems that the process would take about a month or so?

We figured that it may be tough for him to get a teaching job since school term will start then. I guess he don't mind doing relief or doing odd jobs until he could secure a teaching job. Fingers crossed!

Martins, congratulations to you. It must have been a huge relief for you and family :)

On the other hand, for myself, I've decided to engage "Australian resume writers" to revamp my resume to suit Australian standard. At least that gives me the piece of mind that my resume is in a good shape and I can then focus on job search. (I can't believe I had to resort to doing that but hopefully all the hard work will pays off some day) hehe.

Hi sunflower79, Martins

Thank you so much for these advices!

My hubby is awaiting his IELTS results which will be released tomorrow. Once that is done, he is left with his accreditation which he plans to do when he set foot in Perth after the 9th Jan. He decided to go earlier than us to get that sorted out. It seems that the process would take about a month or so?

We figured that it may be tough for him to get a teaching job since school term will start then. I guess he don't mind doing relief or doing odd jobs until he could secure a teaching job. Fingers crossed!

Martins, congratulations to you. It must have been a huge relief for you and family :)

Hi, just read about your husband teaching. I arrived in august and have had no problem getting primary teaching relief. In fact I've had to turn it away as had two or three phone calls on some days. As the term has finished most full time jobs will be taken but if your husband is okay doing relief for a term he will find work. I was offered three jobs in the end, two from schools I was appointed Ito their pools and one that I went for an interview for. There is work out there but it's often schools you do relief in

I must have done something wrong, I think I got $220 a day?? That was at public schools, did you do relief in private schools, is the pay higher there? Just really wondering when I read about $300-$400..??

Good to hear you both got positions, congratulations! I have done something completely different for a while, now pregnant with a baby due in February, so no more job hunting for at least the next year :-)

I must have done something wrong, I think I got $220 a day?? That was at public schools, did you do relief in private schools, is the pay higher there? Just really wondering when I read about $300-$400..??

Good to hear you both got positions, congratulations! I have done something completely different for a while, now pregnant with a baby due in February, so no more job hunting for at least the next year :-)

hi, congratulation! No I worked in public schools. Just under 300 is the going rate for graduates. I had to prove to the SOR payroll dept that I'd been teaching for 22 years. I had to get my last school to send a letter saying I'd taught there for 14 years full time with no long term leave. They accepted this thank goodness! X