Job interview....Advice needed

louloubelle

Hello, so I've finally managed to get myself a job interview (via Skype) next week!!!! Its for a mental health nurse post at an inpatient facility, any advice on the expectations, questions, etc. I know that's a bit general but I really have no idea what to expect, I suspect the usual tell us about yourself, why I want the job but in terms of policy, legislation I might not be so knowledgeable. I have a week to revise.:wideeyed::wideeyed:

I am not sure how the Health Dept conduct their interviews, but other government departments seem to work to a set question format. That is everyone will get the same, usually three but sometimes four, questions which will set a scene and ask what you would do/deal with it, and they would expect an example from something similar that you have dealt with. There will be a time at the end where you can tell them a bit about you and why you think you are appropriate for the advertised position. All interviewees are marked on their answers and he/she with the highest score wins the role if references support. As I say, not sure how the Health Dept work though.

Before I retired from my HR Manager role within state government, I held many telephone and skype interviews, and the best advice I can give you is to dress as if you were at a face to face in person interview, and to sit in a quiet room and make sure that the background behind you is plain and non-fussy. I once interviewed a teacher for an art position and he was sitting there in his PJ's and unbrushed hair. Needless to say he didn't get the job!

Good Luck Louloubelle.... let us know how you get on!

Thank you very much for the advice it is much appreciated, I didn't think my pink spotty dressing gown would go down too well lol!! It's at 6.30 uk time so will need to get rid of that morning look

I've researched the company so know a little about their values etc I suppose I'm just unfamiliar with the workings of the healthcare system.in OZ and some of the policies so needless to say that's how I will be sorndi.g my Aug BH weekend

I will keep you posted

Sometimes they email you the questions about 15 mins before. Questions are usually around the selection criteria. Your knowledge is usually tested by scenario's - have a read up on the MHA to things which may be involved in nursing e.g. nurses holding powers, seclusion - demonstrate that whilst you're not fully conversant with the act yet you have a little bit of knowledge. They may ask about quality initiatives/best practise - how would you go about implementing something on the ward, conflict resolution is something which may be asked.

A tip I got from my manager once was that whilst she knew I knew my stuff, if I didn't say it in the interview then they couldn't mark it that i'd said it. If it's a scenario go through it step by step, don't forget that seeking advice is always a good answer lol Go through the the JDF (job description) and find some questions that you can ask from that at the end. How much experience do you have as a qualified nurse and what level is the position? Eg. If it's a level 1 position and you have 5 years post reg experience you will want to ask them if you will start at 1.5 scale.

Good Luck with the interview

Thanks @ali that is really good advice. I dont imagine they would expect me to know all Australian legislation inside out but a basic knowledge to start with. Not sure what level nurse the job is the advert did not specify. As I only emailed initially asking if they would consider my application still being in the UK I dont even have quite copy of the JD but I've asked her to sen d me a copy

All I can do is my best and if it's .meant to be I will get it, 6am interview though, if that doesn't show I'm committed I'm not sure what will lol

Thanks @ali that is really good advice. I dont imagine they would expect me to know all Australian legislation inside out but a basic knowledge to start with. Not sure what level nurse the job is the advert did not specify. As I only emailed initially asking if they would consider my application still being in the UK I dont even have quite copy of the JD but I've asked her to sen d me a copy

All I can do is my best and if it's .meant to be I will get it, 6am interview though, if that doesn't show I'm committed I'm not sure what will lol

The UK interviews are always early - due to the time difference. Good luck

Hello, so I've finally managed to get myself a job interview (via Skype) next week!!!! Its for a mental health nurse post at an inpatient facility, any advice on the expectations, questions, etc. I know that's a bit general but I really have no idea what to expect, I suspect the usual tell us about yourself, why I want the job but in terms of policy, legislation I might not be so knowledgeable. I have a week to revise.:wideeyed::wideeyed:

Im sure you will be fine ….. if youre a good nurse and you believe youre a damn good nurse then you will shine :o)

Good luck ….. and get ready for some of the most amazing sunsets ever x