Thinking of starting a family.... Help!

Emsylou602

Hi everyone!

Looking for some advice/ info from all you mums and clued up mums to be out there

I relocated to Perth just over a year ago with my husband and we are hoping to start a family next year but know nothing about how everything works here from being pregnant to when the baby arrives and what help you can get as everything is so different here to the UK and have no mummy friends to ask or no family here.

I’m a big planner and like to know as much information as possible, so making the life changing decision of fingers crossed starting a family I thought It would better know a little more about the financial side of things that I can’t read up on in books and feeling a little anxious about not having any family here to call on for a helping hand when needed

Ok starting at the very beginning…. Pregnancy

Are your doctor’s appointments covered by medi-care and do they include everything you need? If not how much do they cost roughly?... I am absolutely clueless

Once the baby arrives

I am currently employed full time but I’m not sure if my work place provides maternity pay, do you get help from the government? If so how does it all work, how long for, roughly how much etc?

Returning back to work

Once I am ready to go back to work what are my childcare options? I will have no help so will need potentially childcare Monday to Friday 8-4pm, do you get any help towards the costs? What are the best options childcare style centre or private care?

There are prob loads of other questions I should be asking and stuff I have forgotten about…. Like I said I’m very new to this and don’t have a clue so any guidance would be so much appreciated.

Thanks! Emma :)

Hi Emma,

I'm not too up to speed on all the financials (my ex gets these) but can give you some pointers based on my experience. I assume you are eligible for medicare. Do you have private health insurance? Does it cover pregnancy?

Healthcare

You need to decide if you are going to use the public system or go private. We went public and the care we received was fantastic, My ex had a planned c section and I couldn't fault anything. She was in a room with only one other mother for 5 days post operation. If you go private, you basically get to choose your obstetrician during the pregnancy and to deliver your child (assuming he/she is available when the time comes). We did do some of scans privately during the pregnancy (don't know why) and they cost about $300/$400

If your doctor bulk bills, medicare covers this. If not, you pay the gap and claim the medicare rebate. You have your scans/checkups at your nearest hospital, you can do share care where your GP does most of the checkups and you go into the hospital less often. Depending on how things go, you will be in hospital for 3-5 days. If you go public, medicare covers this. My daughter was born in Bentley hospital and the care was fantastic. The midwives were superb and very obliging.

Finances

To the best of my knowledge, most Australian employers do not pay maternity benefit. You get maternity leave but it is unpaid (I am open to correction on this), check with your own employer, the HR section of the intranet normally has something on the policies if you don't want to let them know your thinking. There is Parental Leave pay and Family Tax benefit, there is A & B, I don't know the amounts (it may be means tested) and is generally paid by Centrelink. The following is a good source https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/having-baby

Child care is generally about $100 per day. There is a % rebate available up to limit

I would say that kids grow up very fast and try to spend as much time as you can as a stay at home parent, that time is precious and you never get it back.

Good luck