Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) - Mechanical Engineer

Scotty

Hi Scott, I've at the final stage of the 189 visa and can try and help you were I can, we started around May 2013 had to get references for each job I had, these references have to be as detailed as possible ie tools used and all jobs you were reasponsible for, p60's as far back as possible and all your qualifications you have. Then the dreaded IELTS test, I had four attempts! After that we made our expression of interest then you are invited to apply for your visa!

First stage is to look at your points (very thoroughly as if you over claim a single point it leads to refusal)

Then check what is needed for the skills assessment and ensure you can pass it. If so, start gathering the evidence required and submit. Most of the assessing bodies are helpful in this.

If you need ILETS get it booked and start revising.

Send off the skills assessment

Once your assessment is back and ILETS done send off the eoi

Wait for invitation and apply.

Case officer will notify you when they want medicals and police checks. Do them and send

Wait

Hi Scott, I've at the final stage of the 189 visa and can try and help you were I can, we started around May 2013 had to get references for each job I had, these references have to be as detailed as possible ie tools used and all jobs you were reasponsible for, p60's as far back as possible and all your qualifications you have. Then the dreaded IELTS test, I had four attempts! After that we made our expression of interest then you are invited to apply for your visa!

Dreaded ILETS test? I thought this was for people that English is not there first language? What is this test and why 4 attempts? Is there not a test to do with your trade?

Is there any easier visa to apply for?

Thanks

Scott

I had to take IELTS test for extra points, kept missing out on required score to gain 10 points, it's not just for none english speakers it just tops up your score. Your visa is all points based from your age, wether you have been to uni or skill level you have achieved also the length of time you have been in your job, the 189 permeant residency visa is the best visa to get as this visa has the least restrictions. Some visas will restrict you to one job type in one area so once there if your were offered a excellent opportunity out of your skill set you would be breaching your visa rules, also most jobs advertised are only interested in you if you have a residency. The 189 is well worth the heart ache as once you have all your paperwork together and ielts if needed you will soon be there. As for p60s my agent wanted as far back as I could go as this just provides the bureau with evidence to back up your time served in your skill!

How do I find out whats is required for the Mechanical Engineering test? How far back do I have to go with P60's and references?

Look on the lists at immi.gov.au. There are two - sol and CSOL. Next to the occupation it will state who is the assessing authority. Then look at there web site and search in there for your occupation. This will tell you what you need to pass the skills assessment.

Most people have to do ILETS as well for points.

We applied for 190 WA state sponsorship. My husband is the main applicant. If you check our timelines on the signature you can have an idea (minus the wait for state sponsorship if you're going for 189).

First he took IELTS. (ıt was compulsory for us.)

Then skills assessment from Engineers Australia. There is no skills test. (There are 2 ways 1 is the short way, results come in around a month and no need for CDR. The other is the long way, the one we had to do. It depends on your university, something like Washington accord) He had to prepare a CDR - competence demonstration report. For this he wrote 3 Career episodes, explaining 3 different projects he did. Each career episode was around 10 pages. He had to get job descriptions from all his 3 employers. Also tax documents, employer insurance documents, his diploma etc. The job descriptions have to be very thorough. Once you finish writing the reports, then you need to write a summery statement. Because of work he was too busy, and it took him almost 8 months to prepare everything.

Then he sent all this along with IELTS results to Engineers Australia in Canberra. They sent the positive outcome in 20 weeks. (We paid 600 dollars for skills assessment and 250 for job experience assessment. This is required if you need to claim points for job experience)

After we got the positive outcome we submitted EOI for Western Australia.

After we got invitation from EOI, we applied for State Sponsorship to WA. It took some time.

After we got sponsorship we lodged visa application (190).

Overall it took 1.5 years. IELTS in November 2012. Visa grant in april 2014. (But he took IELTS 3 more times in between. Because we wanted to go to Victoria and IELTS requirement was higher than WA. So there was an extra 1-2 months waiting period for the IELTS)

Also there was a delay during state sponsorship.

I'd say how long it takes depends on how fast you prepare for skills assessment. I think Engineers Australia is one of the busiest places to give skills assessment.

Better check the Engineers Australia website for "Migration Skills Assessment" booklet. It is very detailed and should give you clear idea on what to do.

Good luck

Edited by sunflower

Another thing, make sure the occupation you are applying under matched your experience. Your degree can be different than your jobs sometimes. A friend of mine is an Industrial Engineer, but she applied to Australian Computer Society for skills assessment because of her job description. Also there were cases where EA said to mechanical engineers that "your job description matches plant and production engineer not mechanical engineer" I'm talking about the ANZCO code, which you can find in immi.gov.

I had to take IELTS test for extra points, kept missing out on required score to gain 10 points, it's not just for none english speakers it just tops up your score. Your visa is all points based from your age, wether you have been to uni or skill level you have achieved also the length of time you have been in your job, the 189 permeant residency visa is the best visa to get as this visa has the least restrictions. Some visas will restrict you to one job type in one area so once there if your were offered a excellent opportunity out of your skill set you would be breaching your visa rules, also most jobs advertised are only interested in you if you have a residency. The 189 is well worth the heart ache as once you have all your paperwork together and ielts if needed you will soon be there. Ais for p60s my agent wanted as far back as I could go as this just provides the bureau with evidence to back up your time served in your skill!

You said you used an agent? Why not do it yourself?

Some people do it themselves and some to choose to use an agent, we decided to use an agent as we wanted the process to run as smooth as possible and in my opinion they are worth every penny. They prepared all documentation gave me templet references etc and there knowledge of the process is second to none. If you put a visa application in and it gets refused for something like wrong points claimed or lack of evidence etc then you will pay for another application! We just payed $6000 for our 189 works out around £3500 and would hate to have to pay this again for a minor error on paperwork. I also work six days a week and using an agent take the pressure off, hope this helps you out , your about to take on a big project of stress, not sleeping, waiting around and chasing up past employers but we are at the end of it now and we hope to get out to Perth before November.

We used an agent as well, she was a great help especially for the skills assessment part. She gave us sample cdrs, guided us through each step. The rest of the application like EOI, visa lodgement etc can be done much easier by yourself. But I think we would never be able to finish the skills assesment part without help.

What happens if your occupation falls under another code? We had a similar situation. My husband's job description was in between mechanical engineer and plant & production engineer. We decided to go for Mech. engineer to be on the safe side. I heard from other applicants that if the occupation you apply for is different than your job description, the assessing body gives u assessment as that code which suits you. Again, this only what I heard from other applicants. If it is again within EA's boundaries, there shouldnt be a problem.

Another friend who is a mechanical engineer got his assessment from VETASSES, not from EA, because he was working as a health and safety advisor at a factory.

We used an agent as well, she was a great help especially for the skills assessment part. She gave us sample cdrs, guided us through each step. The rest of the application like EOI, visa lodgement etc can be done much easier by yourself. But I think we would never be able to finish the skills assesment part without help.

What happens if your occupation falls under another code? We had a similar situation. My husband's job description was in between mechanical engineer and plant & production engineer. We decided to go for Mech. engineer to be on the safe side. I heard from other applicants that if the occupation you apply for is different than your job description, the assessing body gives u assessment as that code which suits you. Again, this only what I heard from other applicants. If it is again within EA's boundaries, there shouldnt be a problem.

Another friend who is a mechanical engineer got his assessment from VETASSES, not from EA, because he was working as a health and safety advisor at a factory.

Can I get the name of your agent? There are so many out there I do not know who to trust

Thanks

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest15123

Hi Scotty,

I am an integrity engineer in the oil and gas industry and I have determined that I have to go down the daunting CDR path. Anyways, I am looking to apply an industrial engineer as the description on that is a better fit than mechanical engineer for what I do. I have a bachelors degree in mechanical engg. and a M.Sc. in Asset Integrity Management (well....almost:biggrin:). My work experience has been quite varied in nature from development of corporate management systems for Asset integrity to cathodic protection and safety risk calculations for submarine pipelines. Having said this, could I include elements from these projects in my CDR, even though they may be an overlap with the skill sets of occupational health and safety experts, electrical engineers and other professions? As an integrity engineer, one is expected to deal with a plethora of issues, therefore, the variance in my experience.

Thanks

Cheers