Please help i have 2 weeks to convince the wife

JasonM

As the title says and i think i have mentioned my wife has not been 100% behind the move, she likes the idea but will miss her Mum and she is a worrier. at the start she agreed to the process i think hoping that we would get a no and then it would be out of our hands.... ( there is still a chance of this i guess). I have my practical assessment on Sat 8th November and have convinced the wife to come out for 2 weeks in November with our girls 7 and 3 and we will have a proper look as neither of us have been to Australia. So the long and short is we will be doing a 2 week reccie to which i also need to convince the wife it is the right choice but also showing the down side i guess for fairness.

The current plan.....

I have checked flight prices and Emirates is £500.00 cheaper than Singapore Airlines, is the £500 worth spending or save it for a Breakfast at the Dome :)

Do you think it is worth getting a holiday let for the 2 weeks so we can get a feel of what it would be like for the first few months? if so any recommendations ? (no idea where we want to live but Madurah maybe a good start)

Car hire ? anyone recommend a short term carhire place please ? think we land in perth at 01:00

Was thinking of contacting schools to see if they will let us have a look around, anyone any experience of this or schools to recommend ?

I have a contact for an A/C company to see if they will let me play with them for the day so i get a feel of the Aussie work life.

Sorry its alot in one hit and i have a few weeks to plan but these 2 weeks are going to be the defining 2 weeks for the rest of our lives and i want to try to get it right, my OH said she will go with an open mind and we will make our final decision then, so this will be the difference in the EOI going in or not.

Thank you in advance for any assistance Jason

Sorry forgot to add but hope you all got the jist, i need to know where to go and what to do to assist with Mission Convince the Wife its the place for us :), also are there any meet ups between the 8th and 22nd of November ? I think we need to pay a visit to Freo so if anyone knows of any events during these dates that would also be helpful. The more good / great stuff the better but also have to be realistic that it is not a holiday. You all know what i mean many of you have probably done this before.

Hello.I came with my husband in January this year for a holiday needing convincing.flew emirates which was cheaper and fine, got car from bayswater which are great,travelled around and was obviously convinced as we have been here 2 weeks and loving it so far. Feel for your wife as so difficult leaving but think the right thing for us as a family.we didn't look at schools at the time but my daughter has already started since arriving and loves it.just get the feel of the place with no pressure.good luck x by the way came with Singapore airline this time which is better with the initial overnight flight and good food and wine but may as well save the money for your Hols

Hi Jason

Ive flown with both Emirates and Singapore - both excellent but if Emirates were cheaper I would go with them as I couldn't rate one above the other. We hired our car from Hertz - probably not the cheapest but seemed very reasonable and easy and convenient - booked on line in uk - and their desk is right outside when you come through arrivals and the cars are just around the corner ( nice & calm 1st impression ) :wink:

Tip - don't pick up supplies from the local garage - we did and thought OMG how expensive is this place !

Best of Luck

Louise

Jason

I will give you loads of reccie ideas,decent car rental, as I know you are a car man.....I got a cheap Lexus for 3 weeks. Some cool places to take the kids and 'er indoors. But,only if you give me your work contact:cool: You know how it works.......

If not,get stuffed. (But have fun anyway)

First the practical:

i also recommend Bayswater car rental. Good and cheap

emirates are very good - I have flown over half a million miles with them in the last few years.

Now ow the bit you might not like.

The process of moving to the other side of the world is stressful and difficult and claims a fair few marriages. It requires both parties to be 100% for it. What will you do if you find you love it but your wife wants to go home? What if it turns out to be a financial disaster (that happens a lot) have you thought about how that will play out? What often happens is the mind can't help play the balms game and the one who didn't want to come starts thinking it is all the fault of the one who did. Bad feelings start to spiral.

Be be very careful about pushing your wife into something so huge. You need to think long and hard about why you want to move to a place you have never even visited.

As many have said, you should come here as a holiday with your wife and see the pros and cons of migrating to Australia. And then take a call. It will be tough to move if your wife is unhappy about the move. My sister-in-law is unhappy in Melbourne (basically in Australia) and my brother is suffering a lot on some days due to her mood swing. Let you not get into that unhappiness.

Edited by Vijay Kumar P

THanks all, I have said that if we come out and she isn't behind the move then the dream stops, she is willing to try it but there is no point being in hell for a life. The deal is she comes out with an open mind and doesn't just say no the moment we land. We wasn't going to come over first and just go for it but the vibe I have been getting as things are moving on, this has to be done. Will be a bit of a waste of time and money but I would rather that than split up a family for what I think is best. Any way not all negative the trip could take her from 70% and make it closer to the 100%.

finger crossed Jason

anyone recommend any trips or things to do?

i did check bay's water and hertz, both the same price but bay's water your limited on the website to time collection and hertz we can get at 01:00 when we land. Been looking on stayz and trying to get a rental, was looking at $200.00 a night or do I need to up that a bit?

thanks again Jason

I would find a holiday rental a bit closer to the city as there are more fun things to see and do in a smaller area, Mandurah is a fair way out. Some things you have to do are Rottnest Island, Kings Park, Caversham wildlife park/whiteman park, have a wander through the city and along the river front stopping for a drink at the lucky shag, Hillaries boat harbour and maybe the aquarium. You can also go to areas that you may be interested in and look around.

Something else to consider is if your accommodation will let you check in at 2am, we stayed in an apartment near the airport when we arrived then picked up the car hire from Bayswater in the morning.

Edited by nikkiwd

Hi Jason we arrived on the 7th September, and within the 11days of being here we have bought a car, sorted school for our arson and got a rental we are in the Mandurah area Wannanup to be exact you will love! We came out in March for just a week to check out areas and registered our son for a few schools so I would definitely recommend it. There a few car hirer places you can pick the car from the airport. Good luck with it and I think all your family will love it.

Jen

After speaking with the wife today someone has suggested to her that maybe we should spend one week north and one week south, with losing a day due to the travel and only going for 2 weeks is it realistic in splitting the time we have? any suggestions for north and things to do north ? i have had a quick look at Hillarys.

Thanks again all Jason

Yeah I agree just have one base for the whole 2 weeks and I also recommend Bayswater car rentals - myself & my parents have used them and they have always provided good reliable vehicles at good prices. I also recommend taking the kids to Yanchep National Park to see the kangaroos and koalas :) Also, take a drive out to the swan valley for a spot of wine tasting and picnic in the sunshine :) Enjoy!!

Verystormy you should change your name to very wise!!! I agree, as an agent I have seen many migration marriage disasters! Also seen a lot of marriages fail due to the alcohol, people come here and become dependent upon the wine and beer every night! One of my clients in a terrible predicament as her partner (Who is the primary applicant) became violent and alcoholic, SPlit up, now trying to sort her visa out independently.

Always amazed at the number of people who want to live in Australia but have never been! It is not all singlets, shorts and thongs!!!

Jason, my advice is you check out the labour market here whilst holidaying as things are quietening down a lot. I am sure if you ring in advance, you would be able to get a tour of a school, especially as the new school year starts in Feb, schools will be doing many open days.

Edited by New Life Down Under

Verystormy you should change your name to very wise!!! I agree, as an agent I have seen many migration marriage disasters! Also seen a lot of marriages fail due to the alcohol, people come here and become dependent upon the wine and beer every night! One of my clients in a terrible predicament as her partner (Who is the primary applicant) became violent and alcoholic, SPlit up, now trying to sort her visa out independently.

Always amazed at the number of people who want to live in Australia but have never been! It is not all singlets, shorts and thongs!!!

Jason, my advice is you check out the labour market here whilst holidaying as things are quietening down a lot. I am sure if you ring in advance, you would be able to get a tour of a school, especially as the new school year starts in Feb, schools will be doing many open days.

You can never get away from the distance of family, I have lived here many years but had to travel back to UK a lot over the last couple of years as my Mum was terminally ill. Let me tell you, it is horrendous having a dying loved one the other side of the world. I was on an emergency flight to England and my dear Mum died 2 hours before I landed so I couldnt be with her. TOUGH.

All good advice. But all pretty obvious really.

Domestic and alcohol abuse happens everywhere....

Losing any close loved one or friend is never good. If you live next door to each other,does that make it better/easier?

Some on here do tend to talk/write to people looking to emigrate as if they are 12 years old. And then hide under the pre-text of only offering advice or the you don't know unless you have done it syndrome.

News flash.......it will make a nice hole in £20k for most families to even get to OZ,we are adults. Mainly skilled or profesional people,some run a business. So in short,most know the risks,they have done some homework, and want a bit of advice now and again.

Lighten up a bit people. The worse that can happen is you spend a load of cash chasing a dream...if it works out great,if it doesn't nobody died! We would return "home" skint. But at least we had a go!

Edited by 7cdb

Whoop Whoop the school have given us the thumbs up for taking my daughter out of school, so we will be booking Singapore airlines tonight, we chose them over Emirates even though Emirates are £500.00 cheaper due to the 7 hour wait at the airport, I know there is shopping which the wife would love but we land at midnight and then go 7 in the morning but the main issue is my 3 year old is Very SpiritedGetInline.aspx?messageid=ebfd6ddb-4017-11e4-a2a9-00215ad73f24&attindex=25&cp=-1&attdepth=25&imgsrc=cid%3aimage036.png%4001CFD42A.D4755D10&cid=8db9ab655b98b381&hm__login=jmcmullen31&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.111.12.8&d=d816&mf=0&hm__ts=Fri%2c%2019%20Sep%202014%2018%3a47%3a24%20GMT&st=jmcmullen31&hm__ha=01_35e185c436c435b87d1603e00c33908c0603f140fb0335026139f568d9861cc0&oneredir=1, there is a chance they will sleep on us or chairs but it could be a nightmare.

I have found a house in Halls Head Retreat, (thanks VS) just need to find out if they will let us in that early, if not could anyone recommend a hotel or apartment close to the airport please?. Will be going with Bayswater rather than Hertz as both are the same price, however excess BW is $500 and Hz $3500 ouch !!! Told my 7 year old daughter about going on holiday and she got all upset thinking we are moving, when ask why she was upset she said, I love my house... Brought a tear to my eye and I am a big burly rugby player.. I have said it is just a holiday and would be great if anyone could recommend any water parks with flumes etc. (if Perth has one). I have seen they are building an indoor ski centre so she will be happy if that is opening when we come to live. Also still accepting all recommendations for places to visit please.

Thanks in advance

Jason

What time do you land in perth? A lot of rentals can be accessed 24 hours as the keys are in a safe and you just access them via the combination. But if you have to access a person, perth is a city that starts early - most people are in the office by 7am.

There is a water park in perth called Adventure World with loads of slides and things. We go every summer and love it. On the halls head side of the foreshore there is also a water fun park.

Dont worry about not having a pool. You have the Indian Ocean instead!

Whoop Whoop the school have given us the thumbs up for taking my daughter out of school, so we will be booking Singapore airlines tonight, we chose them over Emirates even though Emirates are £500.00 cheaper due to the 7 hour wait at the airport, I know there is shopping which the wife would love but we land at midnight and then go 7 in the morning but the main issue is my 3 year old is Very SpiritedGetInline.aspx?messageid=ebfd6ddb-4017-11e4-a2a9-00215ad73f24&attindex=25&cp=-1&attdepth=25&imgsrc=cid%3aimage036.png%4001CFD42A.D4755D10&cid=8db9ab655b98b381&hm__login=jmcmullen31&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.111.12.8&d=d816&mf=0&hm__ts=Fri%2c%2019%20Sep%202014%2018%3a47%3a24%20GMT&st=jmcmullen31&hm__ha=01_35e185c436c435b87d1603e00c33908c0603f140fb0335026139f568d9861cc0&oneredir=1, there is a chance they will sleep on us or chairs but it could be a nightmare.

I have found a house in Halls Head Retreat, (thanks VS) just need to find out if they will let us in that early, if not could anyone recommend a hotel or apartment close to the airport please?. Will be going with Bayswater rather than Hertz as both are the same price, however excess BW is $500 and Hz $3500 ouch !!! Told my 7 year old daughter about going on holiday and she got all upset thinking we are moving, when ask why she was upset she said, I love my house... Brought a tear to my eye and I am a big burly rugby player.. I have said it is just a holiday and would be great if anyone could recommend any water parks with flumes etc. (if Perth has one). I have seen they are building an indoor ski centre so she will be happy if that is opening when we come to live. Also still accepting all recommendations for places to visit please.

Thanks in advance

Jason

hi, we have been over for 5 weeks and live in mandurah. Have you checked out ozhouserentals, there a few great places in mandurah on it. The weather is warming up, and will be lovely when you arrive. There are so many wonderful places to visit - dolphin watching on the foreshore or near the cut in Port Bouvard, using the free BBQ in every local park...we love the western foreshore parks. The beaches are only ever 5 minutes away in the car and are glorious. You'll love it : )

Guest Guest6235
Find somewhere in or around Perth, you will spend most of your time here

when we did it we had a holiday let for $550 a week

Who was that holiday let with Rob and where, the lets I've seen have been a lot more expensive so may look into this one

Cheers