Mandurah - help and advice needed!

Derbygirl42

We have finally after a year of trying to get there lodged our visa, only got enough points for 489 Ss so Mandurah looks the place for us at least for a couple of years. I'd really like to get some on the ground feedback if anyone out there. There's myself , hubby and two children 9 & 6 years moving over.

My oh has work to go to so not concerned however bit worried if I wil get a job! I work as a business development manager ( travel industry) currently, background is sales and marketing. I'm willing to do anything really as I know it's going to be quite tough to get something!

My other issue schools and rentals - any feedback good bad or indifferent really appreciated. From research halls head looks a potential suburb for us, is the rental market still mental over there???

Any advice, truly appreciated. Thanks

We have finally after a year of trying to get there lodged our visa, only got enough points for 489 Ss so Mandurah looks the place for us at least for a couple of years. I'd really like to get some on the ground feedback if anyone out there. There's myself , hubby and two children 9 & 6 years moving over.

My oh has work to go to so not concerned however bit worried if I wil get a job! I work as a business development manager ( travel industry) currently, background is sales and marketing. I'm willing to do anything really as I know it's going to be quite tough to get something!

My other issue schools and rentals - any feedback good bad or indifferent really appreciated. From research halls head looks a potential suburb for us, is the rental market still mental over there???

Any advice, truly appreciated. Thanks

Hi, just read your post.

After starting the process in jan, we lodged our 489 ss visa on 2nd oct and still waiting for a co. we are also looking to move to mandurah with our two children (7&2). My husband is a bricklayer and I am a hairdresser.

i have been looking at meadow springs and halls head, both look very nice and not heard anything bad about either.

would be nice to hear what people have to say.

Xx

I can't help with schools as we don't have children.

Halls Head is a lovely suburb and close to the centre of town but also beach side and with some of the best family beaches in WA.

Mandurah is a smaller city and doesn't have a lot of corporate head quarters, so your occupation as you do it now, might not be as common. However, there are a number of small travel companies / independents based in mandurah including some nationaly awarded ones that might be an option for you.

Also, mandurah is a tourist city and the council spends a lot of money on attracting tourists, so there may be options for jobs with the council.

Thanks very stormy that's good to know! Fingers crossed I'll get something, I've never not worked from 17 years of age when I started on a YTS, I've got myself to a decent well paid position and now I'm about to throw caution to the wind and jack it all in, with nothing to go to, it does cause me sleepless nights at times! I'm a cup half full person though and I'm sure I'll get something maybe not exactly what I want but its all in the journey I suppose!!! Scary

Hi Derby girl, I've just moved to Mandurah five weeks ago and we are loving it. I was a Category Manager for Asdas greetings cards in the uk and have just this week started as a Business Development Manager for a card company here, covering Southern suburbs, Mandurah, down to Bunbury. It's very different to what I did in the uk but my experience got me the job as did my location, as they needed someone to cover these areas which are usually put to the bottom of the list in favour of covering the City. I've had to take a pay cut to what I was on, but I was prepared to do that as its new to me and I need to prove myself. Plus there are extras that. Ale it up such as car and bonuses. There seem to be a lot of BDM jobs and also territory managers. Most of them are based out on the road, so no office work. I am sure you will find something. I recommend applying to places through seek a few weeks before you are due out, and also research some companies and send your resume- that's what I did.

Good luck with it all

Hey Raycelsb that sounds promising! Thanks for responding, how are you settling in?

Hi Derby girl, I've just moved to Mandurah five weeks ago and we are loving it. I was a Category Manager for Asdas greetings cards in the uk and have just this week started as a Business Development Manager for a card company here, covering Southern suburbs, Mandurah, down to Bunbury. It's very different to what I did in the uk but my experience got me the job as did my location, as they needed someone to cover these areas which are usually put to the bottom of the list in favour of covering the City. I've had to take a pay cut to what I was on, but I was prepared to do that as its new to me and I need to prove myself. Plus there are extras that. Ale it up such as car and bonuses. There seem to be a lot of BDM jobs and also territory managers. Most of them are based out on the road, so no office work. I am sure you will find something. I recommend applying to places through seek a few weeks before you are due out, and also research some companies and send your resume- that's what I did.

Good luck with it all

Hi guys. Halls head is a great area. We rented in seascapes which is very popular with brits

I'm an electrician and have not been able to find work due to licence issues so gave been working on a farm. My wife worked in accountancy and was willing to do anything, she really struggled.

Things are not as good as people lead you to believe so be prepared.

The feeling of loneliness hit us realy hard and not having any relatives or close freinds here gas made it very difficult for us.

This is how we felt but hopefully you guys will be ok.

Oh bye the way as you are on a 489 you get no help from centrelink which is the main government run employment agency. So don't bother going there.

Get all your points quickly in medicare, references, bank account, and rental agreements so that you can seal a long term rental. You May HAVE To Offer 3 Months U p front but there are loads of rentals about so you can be picky in mandurah. Try and get one on the coast side as mosquitos are horrendous on the estuary side. With them and the fly's you will be waving all day lol.

Hi Sparks

Thanks for the response, sorry to hear you are finding it tough. I imagine we will have tough days as well, I'm lucky that I have a sister and a brother and their families in Perth so that should make it a little easier for us. When we've completed the 489 conditions I'm hoping to move abit closer to them in Joondalup but then again maybe I won't as we may love Mandurah! Good luck, I'm a prolific reader of ths forum and seen lots of electricians who have struggled at the start and had to take a step back and more junior role but eventually it's all come good, fingers crossed it will for you.

Hi guys. Halls head is a great area. We rented in seascapes which is very popular with brits

I'm an electrician and have not been able to find work due to licence issues so gave been working on a farm. My wife worked in accountancy and was willing to do anything, she really struggled.

Things are not as good as people lead you to believe so be prepared.

The feeling of loneliness hit us realy hard and not having any relatives or close freinds here gas made it very difficult for us.

This is how we felt but hopefully you guys will be ok.

• 1 month later...
Hi Sparks

Thanks for the response, sorry to hear you are finding it tough. I imagine we will have tough days as well, I'm lucky that I have a sister and a brother and their families in Perth so that should make it a little easier for us. When we've completed the 489 conditions I'm hoping to move abit closer to them in Joondalup but then again maybe I won't as we may love Mandurah! Good luck, I'm a prolific reader of ths forum and seen lots of electricians who have struggled at the start and had to take a step back and more junior role but eventually it's all come good, fingers crossed it will for you.

Hey Hun it's been a while since I've been on here. Any update on your visas? We got ours granted on Monday woop woop. Had house on market a week and had a lot of viewings so fingers crossed will sell soon and can book flights. We def should keep in touch. Are you on fb?x