ielts 2nd attempt

clairej456

the dreaded ielts this saturday for me, 2nd attempt. i missed out by a few marks on the writing on my 1st attempt. i am so nervous and unsure of going through it all again especially because i dont know if what i have revised is enough. it has been so difficult to fit it in with other every day things such as working. just want a 7 for each and i can concentrate on the the skills assessment. i need some luck!!

claire x

Don't give up Claire ... I did my third attempt on Saturday the 6th and I know how frustrating it can be .. I also failed on writing, I need all 8s for points ... This time I just googled free ielts general writing tips and think it was something like ielts exam . Net ... I just read through all the tips and expressions that should be used to gain marks ..mi did that for 30 mins a night and must admit, I did feel more confident during the writing, it was the speaking that got me this time ... Asking me about my favourite sports personality ... I take no particuar interest in sport and it was all a bit stop start and basically me making things up ... So for the first time out of all three it's the speaking for me that I am worried about .. And I'm a native English speaker lol honestly don't let this one test defeat you xx

hi there thank you for the advice and support! i think for me it was the structure of the last writing test i failed on as i basically just put everything down but didnt consider the structure or layout. knowing my luck i will focus on that but mess up another area, its crazy that they make you re do the whole test! i also need 8s for points but just hope for now i can get 7s on it all so i can at least begin the process!

thanks

Good luck. I found just knowing what to expect made it easier. so at least you have that in your favour this time. Top tips for the writing part - make sure you're over the word count, definitely not under it. Reread it...a lot. Leave space to add the odd sentence/paragraph in. Triple check your spelling.

yes i hope that because i did it before i have an idea what to expect and can be more confident witht he layout etc but even though the writing is the one i failed on i cant bear thinking about the reading one! the passages and questions are just painful, especially this whole true false not given, it never makes sense!!

ERRGGHH< It's horrible the IELTS, I had to suffer 5.... I got the 7's i needed on the Advanced and then I dropped in points somewhere else, so I was told at 35 weeks preggers I needed to re-sit. By which point I could not even sit for more than 5 mins due to pelvic pain, not to mention needing to eat every five mins and pee about the same, so the thought of sitting 3 hrs in an exam, did not thrill me! , I got a 7.5 in one, so I re sat it again at 37 weeks and then got another 7.5, then I had a new born, so had to wait a few weeks. I think he was about 8 weeks old when I sat the last one.

I think I made everyone laugh, as I was breast feeding and expressing right before we went in! I had to ask to take food into the exam, embarrassing.

Anyway, I got the 8's I needed eventually, so stick at it, you'll get there eventually!!!!!!

Definitely helps to look at mock exams papers of the written and practice the reading of course. But in agreement to one of the scribbers above, I thought I had balsed it up on the speaking on my last one! I got so nervous and the questions are so random sometimes, that you forget, you can just reply, "I am not familiar" etc as all they want to hear is you chat. xx

thank you for the reply - wow that is one long crazy journey for u especially when pregnant !! well done : )) i will find out results boxing day of all days !!! think on this exam i structured the writing better but had a really stupid subject to write about so dont think i put a lot of good writing in it !!

claire x

We're looking to live in secret harbour .. Although it depends where the work is, a lot of jobs are at the fiona stanley hospital and I don't want a long commute ( my current commute is 1-2hr away dependant on traffic looking for a 30 minute commute .. I've sent my ahpra registration, it's just been delivered in Sydney today .. I'm hoping to send of my EOI early next week ( providing I pass on Friday) and if my visa comes through before ahpra I'm just going to go across to perth and just work any old job until it comes through ... Xxx

Wow u have done a lot, think we started all of this at the same time and I still no further due to ielts and needing to I back to uni! We are looking at south too and possibly Fiona Stanley hospital.just pray for this ielts to get even a 7 then I can at least get the Anmac sent! Good luck with ur results, was it the general one u sat ? X

Wow u have done a lot, think we started all of this at the same time and I still no further due to ielts and needing to I back to uni! We are looking at south too and possibly Fiona Stanley hospital.just pray for this ielts to get even a 7 then I can at least get the Anmac sent! Good luck with ur results, was it the general one u sat ? X

Well a rubbish start to Christmas....results back and once again fail! This time I got what I needed in all of them but reading which I got 6.5. I am sure this whole thing is a money making scheme, last time I got 8 and this time 6.5, so to book anther test in the new year and another £145 down the drain : ((( ps merry Christmas !

Well a rubbish start to Christmas....results back and once again fail! This time I got what I needed in all of them but reading which I got 6.5. I am sure this whole thing is a money making scheme, last time I got 8 and this time 6.5, so to book anther test in the new year and another £145 down the drain : ((( ps merry Christmas !

A ahh Claire I feel the same I'm taking a different approach this time, I'm practicing writing the example questions and getting a teacher to mark them that's friends with my other half .. Just for some feedback so I can see where I'm going wrong .. Don't be disheartened xx

That just doesn't seem fair after you had an 8 last time how could it of been so different, like you say money making x

I really unsure whether to just re book and hope for the best or leave it a while and try figure out how to pass the reading and writing! But I start uni again in feb so I will have a lot on and don't think I could do both. So frustrating!! I am thinking I need some sort of teaching help to get me through it before I end up with no savings by doing test after test !!! Is there any other way what so ever to get out of doing the ielts !! X

I really unsure whether to just re book and hope for the best or leave it a while and try figure out how to pass the reading and writing! But I start uni again in feb so I will have a lot on and don't think I could do both. So frustrating!! I am thinking I need some sort of teaching help to get me through it before I end up with no savings by doing test after test !!! Is there any other way what so ever to get out of doing the ielts !! X

• 1 month later...

well 3rd test done. All went well apart from the reading yet again! i was more confident and the first 2 i was on target until the 3rd passage and the rest of the questions i had to guess half the answers and i know it will be a fail yet again. i actually dont think i will be doing this again, cant take going through it anymore : ((