How does SkillSelect Work

sdhargreaves

Hi, sorry for the strange question, but I would like to understand more about the order of the selection process.

We have just lodged our EOI for a family sponsored 489 visa with a points score of 75.

Looking back on previous selection rounds it seams like there is on average around 100 places available for 489 visas. If the chart shows that say 5 people with 80 points were selected along with say 25 with 75 points, 50 with 70 points and the remainder with 65 points, does that mean that everyone with more than 65 points would have been selected?

In other words would I be selected with 75 points before someone that had been on the Skillselect waiting list for a considerable length of time but with fewer points.

Are their other factors at play?

Sorry, was just trying to work out my chances of receiving an invite.

Many thanks

Steve

As I understand it, someone with more points will get selected before someone with less even if the person with less applies first. So, in your example above, yes, everyone on 75 points would have to already be picked before people with lower scores are looked at. Having said that, I think they look at your job as well. So you are compared with your piers, rather than with everyone else applying. That way Australia get the best of the applicants first.

verystormy is correct. you will not get an invitation as you need to be on SOL not CSOL if family sponsored. You will need to find a state who will want to sponsor you, we are not looking for GD's in WA at the moment. Alternatively you can get sponsored under ENS or 457, however I imagine that would be unlikely in WA at the moment as designers are being laid off due to economic decline in printing industry etc.