Skilled Visa and only 1 year left!!!.. advise would be handy

OrdFam15

Ok.....here goes...

We have been through the mill -jumped through all the hoops, put the visa on hold until our new baby arrived so he could be added to the visa. Went out to validate visas in August 2012, waited to tell the family and had our flights booked for July 2014. We had started to sell all our things and prepare for the move with 2 children with very little.

Then, circumstances change, and my great aunt takes ill 6 weeks prior to the move, then unfortunately passes away. long story short inherited 1/2 a small house. We had to stay to take care of the executers and will.

We are now 1 year and 1/2 into the probate and it is still not complete - hoping to close in 1 -2 months time.

My question is this...

our visa runs out in 2017 - we have trailed the immigration sites that only talk about return residency visas if we are out of australia. what would happen if we emigrated late 2016?? would we be turfed out in may 2017- we don't seem to be getting any clear answer and am quite frankly petrified at the thought of dragging by children over for a 6 month stint??

if we enter before may 2017 what then??

any help would be greatly appreciated!....Does the aussie dream still live???:arghh:

A permananent resident visa never expires. Only the travel part if it does.

What that means is that you need to make the move to Australia by the time the travel section expires. As long as you do, then you can live in Australia for ever. If you do not make the move by then, you could apply for a resident return visa. However, there is no gauruntee it would be granted and even if so, it would probably only be a 12 month one. So, if you enter before May 2017 you are fine. No you are not kicked out.

No need to feel daft at all as the whole visa process can be complex and convoluted, and also very different for different people. Have you activated your visa by coming to Australia, or did you not have that clause that says you have to activate by a certain date? 25 years ago when we emigrated, we had to enter the country by a certain date or the visa was cancelled, but I understand that this clause isn't applied very often these days. Once you have activated your Permanent Residency visa you are entitled to live in Australia for ever - BUT - if you leave Australia on this visa, you have to either have Australian Citizenship and travel on an Australian Passport, or have a Residency Return Visa in place. I suggest that you need to look at this to make sure that you are covered in case, once you are in Australia, that you need to travel out of the country for any reason (even a quick Bali holiday!).

A permananent resident visa never expires. Only the travel part if it does.

What that means is that you need to make the move to Australia by the time the travel section expires. As long as you do, then you can live in Australia for ever. If you do not make the move by then, you could apply for a resident return visa. However, there is no gauruntee it would be granted and even if so, it would probably only be a 12 month one. So, if you enter before May 2017 you are fine. No you are not kicked out.

Verystormy, I am very impressed with this response, that youve taken the time to explain it so well, how come you know so much about this? (how amazing to have somebody on here this clued up!)

we had a deadline entry date, and as with the whole process we cut it fine!! Visa validated on a "last minute holiday!" i think the 5 years started ticking from that moment on. if we went to Australia chances are that we would not leave for at least a year due to the shear cost! gosh, once your there they have got you!!!! not a bad thing really!!

Verystormy, I am very impressed with this response, that youve taken the time to explain it so well, how come you know so much about this? (how amazing to have somebody on here this clued up!)

Thank you.

Just haven gone through 3 visas and hanging around on here and PIO for 5 years of reading posts and researching for people who are stuck.