Visa process

Jo36

Have you started the skills assessment process yet?

Have you booked ILETS yet? (assuming its needed)

These are the first two things to arrange before you do anything else.

I know you are a bricklayer. How old are you?

Any medical issues in any of those migrating or any none migrating dependents?

Hi I'm on here it's my husband with the skills etc . He's 40 in January I'm aware we need to get the ball moving before then . Yes he scored 75 and you said that was quite high ? His qualifications bust mean more than what we thought he's even an assessor for bricklaying and completed English and maths qualification to do his cert ed to be a teacher

Maybe you can post the break down of the points on here as it still seems pretty high - even with a degree, it would be fairly high.

Yes it does seem high . Had an email from an agent saying he's scored 50 he needs to do the English test to gain points , that makes sense I suppose but what doesn't is he's already taken an English test to become a teacher it's pretty much the same as the one requested ? So I don't quite understand why he has to re do it again ?

Yes it does seem high . Had an email from an agent saying he's scored 50 he needs to do the English test to gain points , that makes sense I suppose but what doesn't is he's already taken an English test to become a teacher it's pretty much the same as the one requested ? So I don't quite understand why he has to re do it again 

No, it is not the same test. There are 3 tests recognised by immigration for points. These include ILETS and Pearsons - cant remember the third. ILETS is probably the most common one. The fact he has taken tests and exams previously mean little. Even a professor of English would need to take the test if they want to claim the points. If he has an ILETS test previously, he can use that, but if it isn't one of the recognised ones such as ILETS he has to do it. I would also urge him to research it and study for it - I have seen many degree qualified people fail it repeatedly by not studying for it.

We have done 189 visa all on own - with the help of the forum you can do it!!! and save loads….. i had to have skills assessed etc for nursing, it is straight forward enough…..

The issue though Pegg is that most people who get a refusal didn't know they had a problem until they got the refusal. The Australian government make on average 2500 new pieces of immigration law per year. Then there are the decisions from tribunals and higher courts which can "change" the law. At best, immigration will publish maybe 4-5 of these per year as they work on the same basis as all law - it is the member of the publics duty to become informed by using the relevant expertise.

Jo, the worse thing you can do is start questioning why you have to do something because it doesn't help. We all do it, but you need to accept the process for what it is. Take every hurdle as it comes so concentrate on the English test, choose the best one for you and get that passed. Maybe to save money on an agent you could use an agent just for your final application or before EOI but for piece of mind I would use an agent. The IELTS test was a massive hurdle as far as I am concerned. I had an average of 8.5 but one section I achieved 7.5 so I had to do it again. (money wasted) At the time I was completing a Masters degree so felt that I could write relatively well and possibly didn't take it too seriously until I got chatting to a couple of people on the day who were on their third/fourth tests! Needless to say I completed a lot of practice material online and achieved what I needed. There are many people who have British passports but speak very little English, I believe the English test is to wean these people out.

Every section of the migration process needs to be complete to tick all the boxes, just grind it out it'll be worth it!

Thanks I do understand that questioning doesn't help just I'm new to all this . I'm under the impression you only need to do the test if you score under 60 points ?

Correct. There is no requirement for British passport holders to complete ILETS. Just, most people need the points. There are though some occupations that may require it as part of the skills assessment such as nursing.

• 2 weeks later...
Correct. There is no requirement for British passport holders to complete ILETS. Just, most people need the points. There are though some occupations that may require it as part of the skills assessment such as nursing.

Not quite true Stormy. If you don't need the points you don't need to do the test, but you do have to prove that you have been educated in English... that is went to school in England or an English speaking International School. You can do this by exam results or by copies of school reports.

Not quite true Stormy. If you don't need the points you don't need to do the test, but you do have to prove that you have been educated in English... that is went to school in England or an English speaking International School. You can do this by exam results or by copies of school reports.

Sorry, Ross, but that changed a number of years ago. For UK passport holders they only need to show the passport - which they need to anyway https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-competent-english

[h=1]How can I prove I have competent English?[/h]Short Answer

To prove that you have competent English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

• You hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.

Sorry, Ross, but that changed a number of years ago. For UK passport holders they only need to show the passport - which they need to anyway https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-competent-english

How can I prove I have competent English?

Short Answer

To prove that you have competent English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

• You hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.

Thanks Stormy I didn't know that had changed. I obviously have been out of visa/ migration stuff too long to comment any more....