First time poster with a starting point question.

Hi,

My partner, myself and baby are planning on migrating. We have located an agent to support us. Partner is a Baker, and the hope is that we can come out on a skilled independent visa.

We are at the initial step really but we have been advised that because Partner learnt his skill through practical means not through college that we will have to apply for an AQF.

Mum and Dad are already living in Perth (NOR) and have asked me to challenge this as mum says they can assess using VETASSESS or very similar.

Does anyone have experience of this?

And Has anyone used Sortmyvisa.com as an agent?

Thanks very much in advance

Hi and welcome to PP. I haven't heard of the agent you're using but that doesn't mean anything. Do make sure that they are MARA registered.

Have a look at this thread which one of our moderators started with the new skilled lists http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/migration-issues/19938-2016-17-occupation-lists.html#post141465

Someone more knowledgeable regarding visa's will be able to answer your query regarding the skills assessment but I did think that there had to be an educational qualification in addition to practical skills. What does your agent advise?

Hi and welcome to the forum

He will have to undergo an assessment additional to Vestass because he has no formal qualifications. This is known as RPL. So, he cant just get an assessment from vestass at the moment as part of the skills assessment will ask for the qualifications. So, if he were to apply without them, he would get a rejection. The way it is done instead is to obtain the RPL so that it meets AQF standards.

A point to note is that baker is not on the SOL list, but is only on the CSOL. This means that you will need to obtain some form of sponsorship. Either state or business. At the moment WA are not sponsoring this occupation. However a number of other states are. This has two implications. The first is that if you obtain a 190 state sponsored visa from another state such as NSW who are sponsoring, at present, you only have a moral obligation to live in the sponsoring state and there is no legal come back if you were to move to WA instead. However, I stress the words "at present" as that could change in the future and it could become a legal obligation to live in the sponsoring state. The second issue is that some states now will not do sponsorship for a 190 because of this. Instead they will offer to sponsor a 489. This is still a good visa, but does have some conditions attached. The most important being that you would have to live in a regional area for 2 years and work in a regional area for 1 year. You could still get this from another state and move to WA, but you could not move to Perth as it is not a regional area.

As for your migration agent, I haven't heard of them. I did a search and I cant find a web address of that name. Is it sortoutmyvisa.com? In which case they are a MARA registered agent - which is what you look for in an agent

Hope this helps

Here's what Veronika has said so far.

the sad fact of the matter is that I did have a permanent residency visa but it has since expired and I cannot renew it! The joys of being a stupid teenager.

im really concerned now that we won't be able to get to WA.

the plan is to stay with mum and dad for 2/3 years to find out feet :/

image.jpg

You probably will be able to get to WA.

I cant read your attachment. Could you do it again as a jpeg?

I have just highlighted some of the potential issues. One of the big pluses is that, as I mentioned some states only issue a 489 even when a 190 sponsorship has been applied for. However, one of the states offering sponsorship for bakers is NSW. To my knowledge, NSW has never done this and happily sponsors 190 visas.

The big issue will be the RPL and ensuring that he can pass it to the required standard. However, even in the worst case scenario that he cant pass the RPL first time, the agent should be able to work with you to find a way.

That seems about right.

It is an expensive process and there are a range of things you need to budget for on top of this.

Shipping - anyway between £3 - 8k

Flights - £1k

Most importantly living costs on arrival. You need to have enough cash to live on for at least 3 months and preferably 6 months. Even if you stay with your parents, I assume you will have to contribute to bills and living costs.

Then, you leach cash fairly fast at first as you get things like a car - a must, mobile phones and bits and bobs.

Car is waiting for us there and we have a house to sell here. With a very minimal mortgage, it wasn't the costings I was querying as I remember how expensive the process was 9 years ago too.

Was giving a snapshot at what had been offered to us as a first option.

thank you for the extra info. If we sell out house for what we paid for it then we are looking at a leaving amount of £23k after all costings taken out etc.