Decisions..... Yes.....no😵

gdjones

Hello all!

It's been nearly 18 months since I was last on Perth poms.

Time flies!!! I'm still wondering if I should just be brave and give it a go! Last time I felt we couldn't leave my family and losing everything we had back home until we gad a lovely summer holiday in the sun and seeing my kids so happy to be outdoors and engaging in activities it made me wonder if life in Oz would/could be on the cards?? My husband has since gone back to work as an electrician and I was wondering if electrical work is in demmand and how difficult would it be to seek work for my self as a medical administrator?

Thankyou ?

i think if last time - you couldnt leave family , then it will be the same this time round .

Also if your husband is earning well as an electrician , bare this in mind …… i keep hearing from alot of people here near Perth that are struggling. Also myself as a Bricklayer - i can earn more and work less in the UK than here!

However the kids are happy and thats great ….. just give it a good ol think ;o)

Im afraid only you can make that decision which sounds very hard for you. If you dont try you will always wonder what if..... Your hubby may have to partly re train here in ozland to up grade his skills. Also its not all sun sea and sand. Toilets wibdows ect still need to be done

Edited by elfie

We've decided to bite the bullet and are due to move out to Perth at the end of November. I am dreading leaving my family, especially my mum but it will be a little easier as my brother is already there!

We've decided to go for it or we'll always be thinking what if?

it's a tough decision but only you can make it - good luck x

It is very different to see your children playing out in a warm climate to living there. Kids in Oz are no different to the UK and spend most of their time sat in front of a screen at home.

I'd have to disagree with the children that I know who are out far more than they're in doing activities. Yes they do play station but not spending most of their time on it.

Hi,

Over the last 5 yrs or so we have said that we wanted to emigrate countless times but always found a reason not to- family being the main reason.

However, one Sunday afternoon in November I casually mentioned to hubby in earshot of my daughters about coming to Australia, he and they both wanted to and it has been a whirlwind ever since. It feels right this time and we haven't doubted our decision once. We are doing it for us, as hard as it will be to leave everyone behind, this is the best thing for us we feel. Hubby is an engineer and just got a promotion and pay rise, myself also, we have better prospects over here than we have ever had, yet we are so convinced that we will have a better life we are willing to gamble it all and hope for the best which sounds crazy!

As for my daughters, I am fed up of them constantly on their screens, and firmly believe that the better weather will encourage us all outside as a family, beachside walks and bike rides, or splashing about in our pool.

We are on the brink of getting our visas (hopefully!) and I'm so glad we didn't delay it as I couldn't stand the thought of spending much more time over here now.

Only you will know if it's right for you and your family, but whenever you make your decision, whatever it is, you have to be sure you're making it for the right reasons as a lifetime of regret either way will be really hard.

Best of luck, Jen x

Hi Jen! Thankyou very much for your reply, it's great that you finally made a decision to go for it, you've got more guts than me!! Have you managed to secure a job before going?

I agree with you that kids over here are glued to their screens, there's so much opportunity for them in Australia. I think we would spend more quality time as a family out there.

It's a tough decision isn't it? I think I need to be braver and go for it(easy said than done)

My sister emigrated to Adelaide 8yrs ago,they have struggled until now, but they are happy and have a fantastic lifestyle.

Keep me posted on how you get on and best of luck x

Also be prepared for spending some serious money we got through £15k in 8 weeks ….. whilst waiting for job to start! Things like "living" …. buy a car ….. lease house … lease bond…. med bills …… etc etc .

all im saying is be prepared ;o)

But it is fab ….. it really is

It is very different to see your children playing out in a warm climate to living there. Kids in Oz are no different to the UK and spend most of their time sat in front of a screen at home.

Sorry Stormy, don't agree with you there. Yes they do have screen/e-time, but the many kids I know in Australia are much more outdoor orientated than those in UK.

Sorry Stormy, don't agree with you there. Yes they do have screen/e-time, but the many kids I know in Australia are much more outdoor orientated than those in UK.

Sorry Rossy, but the evidence says otherwise. For example http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-21/australian-children-among-least-active-in-the-world/5466544

Oz kids are some of the most obese - 1 in 4.

As as for a comparison to the UK, we are out in the great park pretty much every day and there are huge numbers of kids out there. In oz, even though we were a beach side suburb I could count on the fingers of one hand the kids I would see out playing.

Hello all!

It's been nearly 18 months since I was last on Perth poms.

Time flies!!! I'm still wondering if I should just be brave and give it a go! Last time I felt we couldn't leave my family and losing everything we had back home until we gad a lovely summer holiday in the sun and seeing my kids so happy to be outdoors and engaging in activities it made me wonder if life in Oz would/could be on the cards?? My husband has since gone back to work as an electrician and I was wondering if electrical work is in demmand and how difficult would it be to seek work for my self as a medical administrator?

Thankyou ?

Things have certainly quietened down here economy wise in WA and as someone else previously said your husband will have to work under supervision first before being allowed to work as a sparky on his own. I heard the other day that we were the 7th economy of Australia, many people are moving back Interstate due to the lack of work. I have had many 457 clients have their visas cancelled, so perhaps come over and test the waters first if you are not sure about making the big move! With regards to kids being more active here, I will sit on the fence and say it truely depends on the kids/parenting, not the country! If you have kids that are happy to vegetate in their rooms with technology, nothing will make them move! Dont forget it is not all sun, it has been absolutely freezing this winter and I am currently sitting in my office with boots and scarf on!!

Hi Jen! Thankyou very much for your reply, it's great that you finally made a decision to go for it, you've got more guts than me!! Have you managed to secure a job before going?

I agree with you that kids over here are glued to their screens, there's so much opportunity for them in Australia. I think we would spend more quality time as a family out there.

It's a tough decision isn't it? I think I need to be braver and go for it(easy said than done)

My sister emigrated to Adelaide 8yrs ago,they have struggled until now, but they are happy and have a fantastic lifestyle.

Keep me posted on how you get on and best of luck x

Hi,

No Job as yet, hubby has researched the job market and found agencies and companies that he will contact once we have the visas, there's no point in him applying yet as we can't give a date when we'll be there. We are aware of the economic downturn but he has seen lots of jobs advertised so is hopeful. We are prepared for him not to have a job for about 3 months and if the worst comes to the worst he will consider fly in fly out as a last resort. I am concentrating on getting the girls settled in initially and will look for something part time when we are ready. It won't be easy and there will be a lot of unknowns but that is the part of the adventure we are looking forward to.

Best of luck x

Also be prepared for spending some serious money we got through £15k in 8 weeks ….. whilst waiting for job to start! Things like "living" …. buy a car ….. lease house … lease bond…. med bills …… etc etc .

all im saying is be prepared ;o)

But it is fab ….. it really is

Hi Pegg,

Your positivity in your posts is really helping me to think that it will really all be worth it, thank you.

We are prepared for a spendathon when we arrive, luckily we have the equity in the house to see us through!

Jen:unsure:

Hi,

No Job as yet, hubby has researched the job market and found agencies and companies that he will contact once we have the visas, there's no point in him applying yet as we can't give a date when we'll be there. We are aware of the economic downturn but he has seen lots of jobs advertised so is hopeful. We are prepared for him not to have a job for about 3 months and if the worst comes to the worst he will consider fly in fly out as a last resort. I am concentrating on getting the girls settled in initially and will look for something part time when we are ready. It won't be easy and there will be a lot of unknowns but that is the part of the adventure we are looking forward to.

Best of luck x

I don't know why you say he would consider FIFO as a last resort as it is very hard to actually get a FIFO job now.

Sorry Rossy, but the evidence says otherwise. For example http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-21/australian-children-among-least-active-in-the-world/5466544

Oz kids are some of the most obese - 1 in 4.

As as for a comparison to the UK, we are out in the great park pretty much every day and there are huge numbers of kids out there. In oz, even though we were a beach side suburb I could count on the fingers of one hand the kids I would see out playing.

I understand all the stats and media stuff Stormy, but where I live, kids are always out playing in the park and because we are in a culdesac, the after school activity of all the kids is great with their various games. Perhaps my comments are based on the strength of this. Rossy

Again I'm not witnessing children just in front of screens, most kiddies are walked to school and back, parks have kids playing even now in the winter. Junk food is certainly an issue and school food allows chips and slushies which isn't great! As a teacher I know of kids who are into gaming but most kids are into other things/sports.