Criminal record

debbiedee61

Ughhh! Hate it that I have to ask as it all happen such a long time ago (30 yrs) hoping someone else had a or similar (spent prison 6 month for fraud) record and how did it effect your contributing parent visa application. Is it a definite no go with the Australian immigration or do they look at individual cases. Young and stupid, you know how it goes, Didn't have a record before or since, one mistake but alas it's there. Any input is appreciated.

Dont be embarrassed, we all do silly things, particularly when younger. I know I did.

Was as it a six month sentence or was that time served? The reason I ask is that there is no fast and hard rule anymore, but the rule of thumb is that there not very interested in sentences that are less than 12 months.

They do do look at every case individually and they will want to know more about it and I would recommend in using a migration agent as although you could probably write the explanation they will ask for without, given the costs of the the visa, I would use one. But, as I say, as a rule of thumb if the sentence was less than 12 months, then it won't be an issue. Even over 12 months, given the time since it would probably pass.

People have got visa's with over 12 months sentence, however, it does mean that your application will be looked at a lot more closely. Previously, others have suggested writing a letter indicating the offence/circumstances etc., a showing contrition and that you've not been in trouble since. I would also get some character references to.

Have you visited Australia before? If so, did you put anything on the landing card regarding offences?

Ahh! that is good news, I spent 6 months in prison, I feel a bit better knowing that and thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Dont be embarrassed, we all do silly things, particularly when younger. I know I did.

Was as it a six month sentence or was that time served? The reason I ask is that there is no fast and hard rule anymore, but the rule of thumb is that there not very interested in sentences that are less than 12 months.

They do do look at every case individually and they will want to know more about it and I would recommend in using a migration agent as although you could probably write the explanation they will ask for without, given the costs of the the visa, I would use one. But, as I say, as a rule of thumb if the sentence was less than 12 months, then it won't be an issue. Even over 12 months, given the time since it would probably pass.