Job Option

Steven1988

Hello all,

It looks like I might have the option of work in Perth but currently no visa in place. I have asked the company if the option of sponsorship is available however this is rare due to the government clamping down but they will consider it on a rare occasion. My wife is a mental health nurse so she is my ticket into Oz however the time taken to seek approval. I am classed as unskilled in terms of qualifications but have a lot of experience in the role in which I do. I am worried that this job option may be filled by someone else due to the time to get the permanent migration visa in place. Does anyone know how long this process will take if I start the ball rolling straight away.

my big concern is I spend the money on the visa and the offer on the table is withdrawn due to the time of visa acceptance. I really want to move but if this opportunity was to be withdrawn I am thousands of £'s out of pocket with no work on offer.

What is the likelihood of my wife obtaining work as mental health nurse if this offer was withdrawn. I cant find much on the mental health sector in Perth but looks like general nurses are finding it hard to come by work at the minute.

on the plus side my parents are in Perth so we can live with them until we find the work if the worst comes to the worst but with not a great deal of saving and what we do have will be absorbed by the relocation costs.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am not sure if I am reading this correct, but will try to answer.

If you were to be sponsored, it generally takes about 8 weeks, though that can depend on a lot of factors and I have seen complications resulting in well over 6 months. However, you mention you are unskilled. In order to be sponsored, the occupation would still need to be on one of the two occupation lists - SOL or CSOL and unskilled roles are not on it. So, if you are actually unskilled, you can not be sponsored. If your occupation is on one of the two lists and the company are willing to sponsor, then they need to start the ball rolling with the nomination. On the plus side, the visa fee is paid by them, though if you need a skills assessment (some occupations do) then that and other costs may be chargeable to you.

With regards to gaining a permanent visa via your wifes occupation, this should be more straight forward as nurses are eligible for permanent skilled migration - assuming she meets the rest of the criteria such as age and points. However, this isn't a quick process. If she hasn't started it at all, then in order to get the skills assessment, ILETS, lodge and EOI, wait for invitation to apply, submit the application and wait for grant, it is, if you are very efficient about 9 months.

I am not sure if I am reading this correct, but will try to answer.

If you were to be sponsored, it generally takes about 8 weeks, though that can depend on a lot of factors and I have seen complications resulting in well over 6 months. However, you mention you are unskilled. In order to be sponsored, the occupation would still need to be on one of the two occupation lists - SOL or CSOL and unskilled roles are not on it. So, if you are actually unskilled, you can not be sponsored. If your occupation is on one of the two lists and the company are willing to sponsor, then they need to start the ball rolling with the nomination. On the plus side, the visa fee is paid by them, though if you need a skills assessment (some occupations do) then that and other costs may be chargeable to you.

With regards to gaining a permanent visa via your wifes occupation, this should be more straight forward as nurses are eligible for permanent skilled migration - assuming she meets the rest of the criteria such as age and points. However, this isn't a quick process. If she hasn't started it at all, then in order to get the skills assessment, ILETS, lodge and EOI, wait for invitation to apply, submit the application and wait for grant, it is, if you are very efficient about 9 months.

Hi Verystormy,

Thank you for your reply. This is my weakness as I am unsure if sponsorship is an option for myself. My role is within aviation planning and looking at the skill list which is hard to break down the job appears on the SOL list however I have been trained internally with the exception of a few courses my employer has put me through. Would I need the likes of a degree or certain accredited qualifications? The operator I have been speaking too have informed me that they have sponsored in the past but never mentioned in which roles.

onto my wife she has the correct criteria to be offered the visa in question. she just needs to sit the above skills assessment etc... Once she completes the above my guess is she can start applying for roles on her visa being granted. The issue is for myself is if the sponsorship is not an option due to my lack of accredited courses then of course they will have to offer this role to someone else due to the time of my wife's visa being accepted.

I am of the understanding that I can apply for roles on the back of her visa within my industry but as indicated that could be best case 9 months from today if we got the ball rolling.

is it fair to say that most people apply for the relocation without securing work on the hope that when they relocate is all falls into place?

sorry for the lack of knowledge we are attending a moving down under seminar in 2 weeks to get a better understanding.

Cheers

Steven

Hi it sounds like you have a couple of potential options but the best thing to do is speak to a good agent. If you send them your CVs they should be able to tell you what your best route is and whether your role is in the list.

We're in the midst of applying for a permanent visa (slowly as we can't go until next year) and it all started with us sending our CVs to Go Matilda (agent).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your occupation is on the SOL, then sponsorship is possible. Though I would urge you to speak to a good agent as LB1978 says and the one they mention is very good.

Most people find they have to just make the move and then look for jobs. It does of course mean you need sufficient funds to support yourselves while that happens.

A permanent visa is a much better option than a sponsored visa as sponsored visas are usually 457 and these come with lots of issues. First and foremost it is only a temporary visa, it is tied to the employer - so lose your job and you lose the visa and only have 60 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor. Not easy, particularly at the moment. There are a number of other issues such as partners can find it harder to get work, credit for buying things like cars is limited and many others. Most importantly, you need to take a 457 for what it is. Temporary with the assumption you will be returning at the end.

For your wife, in addition to the skills assessment she will also need to apply to AHPRA to be registered - you said she meets the criteria so I am assuming that she is degree trained. The registration for AHPRA (if everything goes ok) is approved in principle and only finalised when you present to an AHPRA office with documentation - this used to be present in 12 months but has been reduced to 3 months, which means a trip to Aus to do this.

Regarding jobs, there aren't many at the moment, I know my own service is now only employing about 75% in substantive positions and the rest on casual and fixed term contracts. Hopefully, this will improve, but there is also agency and private hospitals. In the current climate it would be unusual to be offered a position when there is no visa in place, and a lot of adverts may say citizens or PR will be given preference.

For your wife, in addition to the skills assessment she will also need to apply to AHPRA to be registered - you said she meets the criteria so I am assuming that she is degree trained. The registration for AHPRA (if everything goes ok) is approved in principle and only finalised when you present to an AHPRA office with documentation - this used to be present in 12 months but has been reduced to 3 months, which means a trip to Aus to do this.

Regarding jobs, there aren't many at the moment, I know my own service is now only employing about 75% in substantive positions and the rest on casual and fixed term contracts. Hopefully, this will improve, but there is also agency and private hospitals. In the current climate it would be unusual to be offered a position when there is no visa in place, and a lot of adverts may say citizens or PR will be given preference.

Thanks so much to you both for the feedback.

My wife is degree qualified :)

I am just curious if I apply for the permanent migration now and all goes well and it is granted do you have to travel straight away. The reason I ask is we might sit in the UK for a while and try and obtain work whilst in the UK. I have a few potential options in the pipeline through but don't want to sit in Oz waiting on the chance if I can keep my job in the UK and build on saving for the eventual move. I am guessing you are expected to make the move within a certain period of the visa being granted?

Hi Verystormy,

Thank you for your reply. This is my weakness as I am unsure if sponsorship is an option for myself. My role is within aviation planning and looking at the skill list which is hard to break down the job appears on the SOL list however I have been trained internally with the exception of a few courses my employer has put me through. Would I need the likes of a degree or certain accredited qualifications? The operator I have been speaking too have informed me that they have sponsored in the past but never mentioned in which roles.

onto my wife she has the correct criteria to be offered the visa in question. she just needs to sit the above skills assessment etc... Once she completes the above my guess is she can start applying for roles on her visa being granted. The issue is for myself is if the sponsorship is not an option due to my lack of accredited courses then of course they will have to offer this role to someone else due to the time of my wife's visa being accepted.

I am of the understanding that I can apply for roles on the back of her visa within my industry but as indicated that could be best case 9 months from today if we got the ball rolling.

is it fair to say that most people apply for the relocation without securing work on the hope that when they relocate is all falls into place?

sorry for the lack of knowledge we are attending a moving down under seminar in 2 weeks to get a better understanding.

Cheers

Steven

Hi Steven, I am in aviation in Perth, you mentioned an operator has mentioned sponsorship, if you dont mind me asking, who are you talking to, I find it hard to believe you are in planning and unskilled, normally planners have some aviation background which started with a skill, I was sponsored 457 as a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, the sponsorship was very straight forward, I subsequently transitioned to an RSMS PR visa and have recently become an Aussie citizen

Hi Steven, I am in aviation in Perth, you mentioned an operator has mentioned sponsorship, if you dont mind me asking, who are you talking to, I find it hard to believe you are in planning and unskilled, normally planners have some aviation background which started with a skill, I was sponsored 457 as a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, the sponsorship was very straight forward, I subsequently transitioned to an RSMS PR visa and have recently become an Aussie citizen

Hi Druid,

thanks for your reply.

I asked the question to the Airline and they stated that sponsorship was becoming rare due to the government clamping down however it might be an option. I worked my way through the ranks at my current company starting in Document Control 10 years ago and been put through MSG-3 training and the likes on planning courses and reliability courses with the OEM. My issues is I am not licenced or hold a degree so unsure on the criteria. In regards to the planning role I am actually a Maintenance Programme and Reliability engineer by trade but also work within planning I just thought for the non engineering people within the forum it was easier to explain. I would rather not mention the operator.

What do you feel is the best way forward from your experience?

Steven

Thanks so much to you both for the feedback.

My wife is degree qualified :)

I am just curious if I apply for the permanent migration now and all goes well and it is granted do you have to travel straight away. The reason I ask is we might sit in the UK for a while and try and obtain work whilst in the UK. I have a few potential options in the pipeline through but don't want to sit in Oz waiting on the chance if I can keep my job in the UK and build on saving for the eventual move. I am guessing you are expected to make the move within a certain period of the visa being granted?

Once the visa is granted, you have to make a first entry within 12 months of the medical or police check, which ever is earliest. This can be a holiday or even just walk through immigration and leave again. You then have 5 years from the date of grant to make the move

Once the visa is granted, you have to make a first entry within 12 months of the medical or police check, which ever is earliest. This can be a holiday or even just walk through immigration and leave again. You then have 5 years from the date of grant to make the move

Wow that is very interesting this would allow us to save the money required but get the process moving. I am guessing it is harder to obtain work out of the country but still a chance to build some income. What would happen if you had an addition to the family as my wife wants to start a baby soon:arghh:. Is it easier to start a family once we have made the move or have our family in the UK and relocate? My question really is how hard is it to add to the visa?

I have just had a quote from an migration expert through an online chat scary stuff. Is it a hard process to complete yourself?

Thanks Stormy I really appreciate your help.

From a visa perspective, if the child is born in the UK you would need to obtain a 101 child visa. They are very simple. If born in Australia to parent who have PR visas then the child is automatically a dual Australian / British citizen.

However, the plus of having it in the UK is you can decide if it is still for you. One of the biggest reasons people move back is because they have a family and want more support or to share the time with grand parents.