Return of resident visa

preetam

I was granted PR in March/2012 along with my family (wife & Daughter). I visited Australia first time on 11/aug/2012 for 10 days to activate my PR. Since then I am out of Australia till now,

My PR will expire on 10 aug 2017. Due to job contract in Oman and some personal commitments I am unable to stay back in Australia.

I am planning to extend my PR but we will not be able to live in Australia yet. Please advise how best we can extend or keep it alive.

Can I visit Australia this year & come out, so that I can apply for RRV sometime within next 5 years (by 2022) to enter back to Australia, is it possible?

If my family stays back in Australia now and I continue my contract in Oman then can I get PR extension for 5 yrs.

Please advise what will be the best solution.

If your PR was issued in March 2012, doesn't that mean you have to settle in Oz before March 2017? The 5 year period doesn't start from the day you activate it. It should say on the visa grant letter with a Not To Enter After date.

Regarding the RRV, I had been living in Oz for over 1 year with a job all that time and daughter in school but was still only granted a 1 year RRV. I think you need to be settled in Oz for 2 years to be issued with a 5 year RRV now.

I know there are stories of people being issued with RRVs without being in the country or extending the period on their PR before settling but not sure if these were special circumstances.

I lived in Oman for 4 years in the early 1990s, so understand why you would want to stay there for a bit longer. It's a beautiful country with friendly people, but you may risk your PR by staying there.

You may be better off seeking professional advice on this issue. Good Luck.

First of all thank you very much for your kind reply. Yes you are right on my stamped visa page its clearly mention visa cease date is 25/11/2016. That means my visa is already expired. The only confusion is that the 5 years validity of visa they will consider from my 1st arrival date or what they mention on visa cease date.

In case my PR visa expire on 25/11/16 , still I can apply for RRV ? and stay back in Australia.

Thanks in advance.

First of all thank you very much for your kind reply. Yes you are right on my stamped visa page its clearly mention visa cease date is 25/11/2016. That means my visa is already expired. The only confusion is that the 5 years validity of visa they will consider from my 1st arrival date or what they mention on visa cease date.

In case my PR visa expire on 25/11/16 , still I can apply for RRV ? and stay back in Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Your visa has expired, you can apply for a resident return visa, the 157 is for one year and the criteria is below, however, as it's only one year it probably isn't worthwhile you applying now if you still don't intend to be in the country. I'm not sure you would meet the requirements of the 5 year RRV

Subclass 157 Resident Return visa

You might be able to be granted this visa if you:

have lawfully spent at least one day in the past five years in Australia

have spent less than two years in the past five years in Australia

have been a permanent resident or an Australian citizen for the entire period spent in Australia

can show a compelling and compassionate reason for having to leave Australia or, if you are outside Australia, for leaving when you did

If you have been living outside Australia for more than three continuous months immediately before applying, you must also show that you were absent for a compelling and compassionate reason.