457 Visa Private Medical insurance

Guest Dansg60

Iv been told that I must have private medical care for the duration of my 457 visa, does this sound normal??

Yes you must maintain adequate health insurance during a 457 visa

But if you are from the UK - you are entitled to reciprocal healthcare, but you can only register once you get to Australia - and you will get a Medicare card. To register with Medicare you need to show your passport (and useful to show NHS card to show that your are usual resident of UK)

"Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.

You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application.

If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501." http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

Guest Dansg60

Will my insurance need to start straight away or can I have it set to start when I expect to arrive?? I don't expect to arrive for 3-4 months.