Visa Timeline

Nutnudger

Hi there all

First off let me say hello to you all, you have a nice site here i have had a dig around all looks very nice

So the question is how long does it take to get a spouse visa, i am married to an Aus girl we have two kids of course they get an Australian passport

Now moving to WA has been on the cards for some time and we were looking to move next year, but work has offered me a job in Perth we just have to agree the salary and T&C but i am expecting this to not be a problem

Now i don't want work to sort the visa for me as i can apply as a spouse for a visa, i know that the AU government says it takes 3-6 months and i am hoping that there is someone out there that has been though this process to tell me if the time line on their web site is how long it takes, i will be supplying the police checks with the paper work when submitted, i will be waiting until asked before getting a medical sorted tho.

What do you think?

Hi Nutnudger

Ive just started the spouse visa process and on the email back from my CO it states it takes 5-6 months for it to be granted. On reading other threads it appears to be the same for everyone whether they process you as a 309 or 100 but by what you've said i'd say your CO would process you as a 100.

I didnt apply for police checks before hand as i wasnt sure if it was wise to but you can, its just the medical you cant. Saying that it doesnt hold anything up as 2 days after posting my application off i was requested to go for my medical.

I know people hope the time scale maybe wrong and hope for it to go through quicker but every post ive read it hasnt been the case. When they say 5-6 months, they mean it. You are allowed to enter Australia on a tourist visa beforehand as long as you leave prior to your visa being granted. However, i would clear this with your CO. Thats what we'll probably end up doing.

I've waffled on a bit there, sorry :rolleyes:

Hi there thanks for post

i did see after i post that the way the medical is complete has changed since we last looked at it. i will be putting a note in to the file when we submit saying something like "i believe that i meet the criteria for having the subclass 100 without the waiting period"

Also i think i know the answer to this one but would i get the visa quicker if i put in to the paper work a copy of the signed contract for my job? i fear the answer will be yes put it in but you would be lucky to get it quicker! worth a try tho i think...:wink:

Guest alanarob

Hi there,

I applied for my spouse visa on 17th Feb so it's just short of the 5 month mark so I'll keep you posted if it comes in by 17th July. If not the 6 month mark brings me to 17th August and we fly out 18th August so fingers crossed it's more on the 5 month side. I'll get in touch with my CO on 18th this month if I don't hear from him to let him know the flights have been booked and to hope that he can issue the visa before we go!

Good luck with your application :)