Car buying guide

portlaunay

I've just bought my first used car in Oz!

I bought it privately from a friend of a friend so I've yet to see it but it sounds like a steel.

So, what will I need to do when I pick it up?

Apparently there is some paperwork I have to sign - no problem. I'll not be taking out insurance, the 3rd party that comes with the rego will be fine.

Is there anything I have to do before I can drive it?

Will there be any cost involved above the price of the car?

Many thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...

I've mentioned this on another thread, but don't be fooled by the fact that you get 3rd party incorporated with your car rego. That merely covers you if you cause injury to yourself or someone else involved in a motor accident, it does not cover damage to other vehicles. So unless you are so impressed with your own driving ability that you will never have an accident, it would be wise to at least take out 3rd party insurance through an insurance company.

• 1 month later...
Guest Hassan

Which is the best and cost effective(budget) insurance company to subscribe to for third party car insurance?

Further what about roadside assistance,is it only provided by RAC?Can we have roadside assistance from RAC and third party insurance arrangement with some other insurance company.Is it possible?

I need urgent opinion because have to insure my car asap.

Thanks.

Guest Hassan
Have a look at SGIO or Allianz. I recently renewed my insurance and found them the most competetive

Thanks for your message.

What about roadside assistance?Do you have it?Which one please suggest?

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

Whoah …. i know this thread is 2012 , and you guys are rocking it by now .

But , trying to find info on buying first car in Oz …. as we will be doing it pretty quick once there .

Am i best to go to a dealer ? Or private ? What to look for etc ? …….. im sure this info is on here somewhere but i cant find .

cheers guys

Buying a secondhand car is very much about how comfortable you feel about buying a car privately, eg do you feel OK about looking over a car and making sure it is mechanically and physically sound, or would you prefer to rely on a car sales yard.

Gumtree is a good starting point if you are OK about buying privately. As far as car sales yards go, there are so many in various parts of Perth, but the main areas where they congregate are Scarborough Beach Road in Osborne Park, and Albany Highway/Shepparton Road in Victoria Park. John Hughes in Victoria Park has a very good reputation for being honest and doing good deals. If you don't feel confident to assess a car yourself, the RAC of WA have an inspection service available and I don't think you have to be a member to use it. Check out the website. http://www.rac.com.au.