What's the least amount of money you would make the move with?

Keith

Was just wondering what the minimum amount of cash you would take over? We are looking at around the £15k mark and I have a interview lined up once we arrive but nothing in stone and was thinking if this is enough cash to make the move or are we a bit off the mark?

We brought about £30k, fortunately we never used most if it as I had a job to go to, spent £10k on a car though, then the was the deposit on the rental and had to pay for the short term rental, so £15 k might be a bit tight, depending on how much you spend on a car

We have sold the house and are taking all the money we have, all the eggs in one basket I'm afraid but this is the position we are in unfortunaly, we have paid for the visa , so we have to pay for flights and are shipping very little over, we are even thinking of selling sofa and buying second hand when we are there, then this will reduce are shipping costs dramatically!

Guest Guest6235
We have sold the house and are taking all the money we have, all the eggs in one basket I'm afraid but this is the position we are in unfortunaly, we have paid for the visa , so we have to pay for flights and are shipping very little over, we are even thinking of selling sofa and buying second hand when we are there, then this will reduce are shipping costs dramatically!

You're following your dream Keith like us and most others that go & as they say 'you only live once' hope it works out for us all. Whereabouts are you hoping to settle?

My interview is for a company in Wangara north of river so think wne would be looking somewhere around that area that we can afford, it's just the old saying that fortune favours the brave ha! Some family and friends and family think we are mad but if it all goes tits up we can always come back and start again!

My interview is for a company in Wangara north of river so think wne would be looking somewhere around that area that we can afford, it's just the old saying that fortune favours the brave ha! Some family and friends and family think we are mad but if it all goes tits up we can always come back and start again!

Mate,

Go with your heart,if you want it to work no amount of money large or small will make much difference if you and yours are not happy.

good luck with it!

Like everyone says live your dream.The saying life is to short is so true.

We where at the end of our money and thought we would have to go back them we got jobs.

We got by on public transport and lifts off people still not got a car only company one.

• 2 months later...

Hey!! We came over with literally 12k and one job offer with a small amount of furniture. 3 months on and we are now both working, have bought 2 new cars and most of our furniture and are doing just fine. We are both earning more than we did in the uk and even though the cost of living is higher here we are still far better off financially over here. As long as you are prepared to work hard and don't spend money on silly things you will be fine ? good luck

We came with about two grand in the bank but mrs p did have a (low paid), job to come to. It was never about the money for us, we were used to hardship and have never had money until we sold our house a few months ago. We're here for the adventure.

We the same as you Porty adventure devilment or because we could. But then again we didnt have children to bring with us so most definitely would not have done it if we did on such a low budget. My son is 28 and still in the UK and has his own life. My hubby came first with £2k in an Aussie bank account admittedly he did have a job to go to. We rented a granny flat at a cost of $450 plus bills extortionate but hey ........... I was weigh laid for a further 3 months after breaking my leg. By the time I came he had saved enough and we had our little Suzuki Ignis at a cost of $4k we had that little car for 18 mths and it did us proud. We now have a 18 mth old lancer and a 15 yr old jackaroo the dog taxi/beach car. Also considering buying a house after Xmas although still waiting on the sale of one of ours back home ewwwwwwwww scarey.

When we came here we:

* Paid $4000 for a car. But I bought a second car for $1700 later and it worked just fine. So if you're ight on budget, $1500 should do the trick.

* We offered 6 months of upfront payment for the long term lease. That would be roughly 10 grant I believe. Obviously you don't have to pay rent any more then.

* You might have to pay for short term lease (holiday home) in the beginning. Those are a bit more expensive.

* We had to pay some setup fees for stuff like internet.

* There are many topics on how much you spend on groceries and stuff. Check that out.

* Worst case scenario: ALWAYS have a buffer for return tickets. What if it doesn't work out and you have to go back? Take your belongings into account as well. Evne if you can't ship it yet, make sure you can pay for 6 months of storage.

I wouldn't go with less than $30.000.

edit: all priced in AUD.