leaving pets in the UK....your experience?

cutchibear

Hi all,

Sorry if I’ve not posted this in the correct section!

We had made the heart breaking decision to leave our belovedboxer dog behind. We had mentioned it tothe kennels we use and they were keeping an eye out for potential newowners. Long story but he got lots ofinterest via a charity and one couple are due to come see him on Sunday. This has made everything very real for us andmy husband is now very upset about giving him up. We really can’t afford the money to take himwith us and don’t want to put him through the flight….I just wondered how otherpeople had managed when giving up their beloved pets to make the move??

We keep thinking about the big picture and our little boybut it doesn’t make it any easier. I’mof the opinion that if we are giving him up, it’s better sooner rather thanlater but my husband is struggling with it at the minute.

Any advice welcome!!!

Hi @cutchibear

We had the same but with our cats, and to be honest it was the worse decision leaving them behind, which we did on the vet's recommendation as one was very small and timid and only had a 50/50 chance of making the flight. The kids have never forgiven us and it was so hard the first few weeks after they had gone, and there were lots of tears. I remember our visa activation trip where all I could think of was that I had given up my babies for this. It has been two years since we gave them to their new parents and the kids were always talking about them and cried whenever they saw a photo of either of them, but we have been very lucky in the last two weeks we have brought a cavoodle puppy and last Sunday we got a 6 month old kitten from a rescue home, we always knew we would replace them and the cat/kitten was always going to be a rescue as we felt very very guilty about rehoming ours.

Luckily we have a very happy outcome as our new pets have been the final piece of the jigsaw in us settling here, but if its only for financial reasons, then possibly rethink and maybe delay your coming over until you have the finances. This may not be the answer you were looking for, but I really wish I had asked the question before I gave away our fur babies. All the best in your decision making and please let me know how you get on. XXX

We were supposed to be taking our Boxer Dog and he had all his vaccinations etc. i was so worried about him going through the flight, he was 11 years old, but relatively fit and healthy and our vet who had treat him all his life gave him the all clear. Unfortunately two weeks after we got our visa, Scooby passed away suddenly (well we had to put him to sleep as his spondylosis flared up very badly very suddenly). We found this to be his way of telling us he wasn't up to the move, and in some way was a relief to us that the decision was taken out of our hands. Financially I would have done anything to take him with us, it was health that was on my mind. I can imagine what you are both going through and really don't know what advice to give. I do think that it may be a decision you regret, unless you are very comfortable that he is going to a fantastic loving home.

I can't wait to get to perth and get settled so we can get another boxer.

I hope you can make a decision you are both comfortable with, I know either way it won't be easy for you. Take care and all the best x

My Jack Russel was 12 mad as a hatter hated being in a car. A very highly strung animal. There was no decision to make there I think the stress of being crated for 24+ hrs would have killed him he's with my son. We rehomed our 2 cats. It was heartbreaking. We thought better to rehome we were worried that they would be bitten by snakes or other critters.

We after 18 mths adopted Teddy unfortunately we only had her for 4 weeks then she died very traumatic time and wallet $2.500 lighter as pet insurance hadnt kicked in....... We now have Ebzz for the last 5 months and low and behold shes off to vet Tuesday to get a lump removed from her inner thigh on back leg ...... lets hope its not a cancerous tumor ............ Rotties are prone to cancers........ On the upside she is as strong as a horse thats why we call her pity pony Ebbz or Rottie reject Ebbz legs like tree trunks. Sometimes it pays to get the ones that no one would breed from. Unlike Teddy who was highly bred. Any way fingers crossed etc that all is good on Tuesday and she does not refuse to eat like Teddy......

There are plenty of animal shelters here in Perth looking to rehome a huge range of animals, please think on this when you come to Ozland its so worth it. Will always rehome baby animals are always wanted its the older ones that are in need......

Hi cutchibear I had to leave my cat behind for various reasons. Heartbreaking decision but I didn't feel I was able to bring him right now. Fortunately my friend has him and if there's a chance of bringing him over in the future I ll do it. Any friends or family able to help out ? Good luck with whatever choice it's not an easy one x

We contemplated over this for months due to the sheer cost but in the end we took the plunge and brought our 2 chihuhua's. I have to say it was most definitely 100% the right decision. The thought of being without them now or having to give them away breaks my heart. If your pet really means that much then delay and save as you could regret it forever x

hi

I choose not to take my dog with me and I rehomed him with a friend and hes having the best life now, I see him on fb all the time, having a ball.

I couldn't justify putting him through the trauma of the flight and quantene and another flight

it wasn't the money it was a welfare issue

plus for you shipping a snub nose would be harder as many carriers wont take them due to the associated breathing issues (ive heard)

imagine being locked in a tiny crate alone for a day, in the dark and with ear splitting noise then strangers looking in on you, then months in another cage!

maybe lock yourself in the boot of your car and get your partner to drive around for a day and see how well you fair, then go to prison for 3 months

must be hugely stressful and distressing for any animal

we are human and can reason with logic, dogs are animals, they do not have human logic or emotions, so id think very hard before deciding one way or the other as I think torturing your pet because you want it to come with you is pretty selfish, (in the wild they wouldn't stay with one pack) they are part of the family but you must do whats in your pets interests not yours at the end of the day

It's not harder to take a snub nosed dog they just go with Air Canada, I have 2 pugs that we are taking with us and have spent lots of time talking to People at Petair. It's also only 10 days in quarantine.

If you can afford to take them and their healthy enough I don't think it's a selfish thing at all.

Yeh but Coco,

They are just the facts. So would be no good :laugh::rolleyes:

We didn't and are taking our pets - not because if money - not because we were being unselfish not selfish but with us our doggy won't be coming - she just wouldn't have coped - she was a nervous dog anyway and I really believe it would have destroyed her personality. She's with another pooch now and is super happy - I miss her but it was the right decision for us. We are however taking our cat - she'll cope with the transition easily and that will work! Xx

For all of you worried about flight and quarantine we just picked our beagle up at 4pm today at perth airport after his jet setting! he was on the beach by 5pm and seems absolutely fine.was really concerned about him but so glad we decided to bring him.family complete again now