Not a good day

<Dan>

Things were going really well until today.

Last week I spoke to guy about a job as a Workshop Manager at the local pub (met him in the pub, not working at the pub), really nice and both keen for me to work there. On the Tuesday he called and asked to meet up on Thursday (today) for a further chat.

Also on Tuesday, another Garage called me who wanted to meet me that day about being a workshop manager, I met him explained I was talking to another guy on Thursday but will get back to him asap. He offered me the job with the pay I was after. I was a little hesitant as the garage has a few bad reviews on google. So I said I would let him know on Thursday evening / Friday Morning.

I then call he guy from the first garage, ask to meet him on Tuesday night and explain. We meet up, he shows me around, shows me the systems, discuss term and say he will let me know a final package offer on Thursday am.

So, Thursday am comes..... Thursday Lunch time comes and he calls. 'Sorry, I have taken on someone else who's Australian. You're really good and if anything happens, i'll call you' - Great, they were my preferred garage. So I jump in the car and go to the other garage to speak to him, hes not there....

I call him up and he tells me he interviewed some other people and he will call me back within the hour. 5 hours later, still nothing.

So I went from two job offers on Tuesday to nothing now.

Really pee'd off now as I need work. All the jobs I can see me getting are going to pay far less than I would like. Im fed up and don't want to be a mechanic :(

And to top it off, I only have 3 bottles of beer and half a bottle of wine left.:sad:

Maybe would have been better to take the first offer! At least you would have had money coming in while you looked for something better, and to be honest if I offered you a job and you told me you would get back to me a few days later, I would have given it to someone else as well. When your first in the country your lucky to get one job offer so quickly never mind 2! hope you get something else soon

Guest Guest6235

Not my place to say Dan but I wouldn't knock anything back just to get you up and running, also don't tell a future employer you're also talking to another guy, he'll most likely think stuff you. I've had that in the past in the UK where the company I've wanted to work for have gone and let me down. Hope you get something within your 3 month deadline, have you sourced out any nice parks yet.

Edited by Guest6235

Oh bugger mate. That's just horrible. I bet something else will meet your path. As for the future (and not for looking back) I agree with the others. Accept any offer that is 'good enough' -don't be too picky and don't wait for another employer to respond-. Also don't mention you're talking to other companies as well, that honesty doesn't help you.

As it worked out, the guy who I wanted the job with gave me the job.

I feel like the world is criticising me for my actions, so here's what happened.

Wednesday apply for the perfect job, Thursday get a call from him to meet up with me that day, which I do. Its decided he will call me the following week as hes on holiday. Seems really keen and we get on really well.

Monday, another garage calls who was given my name from a friend. I agree to meet him on Tuesday. He tells me how his wife is 9 month pregnant and his manager is on his 5 final warning. Offers me the job there and then. The garage has a bad rep, looks dirty and small. I tell him that im waiting on a call.

Thursdays meeting is brought forward to that day so I can hurry things up. I meet with the first guy again who is really keen, shows me the computer systems etc and discuss money, but again says he will call me Wednesday night / Thursday Morning. Thursday morning comes and tells me he took on an Aussie instead.

Second guy and the small bad garage then tells me hes taken someone else on. I personally believe that he will get rid of that person within three months, once his wife has her baby.

I call the garage I want to work for up and tell him that things have changed and I will do a better job than the Aussie. It then that he tells me that he hadn't actually taken him on and was still talking to him. Monday comes, and he calls me to come in to look at all the paper work, gives me my job description and takes my measurements for uniform.

I didn't actually want to work for the small dirty bad rep garage so wasn't to bothered. But when the other garage said no after saying yes twice I got a little annoyed / upset.

To be truthful, I have only ever had one interview so not sure on protocol but given I had two offered within a week of asking, and I had only applied for one of those jobs.

It all worked out well in the end as I got the job I wanted for the money I wanted (well, always helps if its more).

Hi Dan

No mate it's not the world criticising you just a few people who's opinion doesn't really matter so don't let it get to you. I can see why you didn't want to jump in and accept a job in a place that had bad reviews as you would have probably walked after a couple of days so it would have been a total waste of time and energy. Good luck in your new job and hope everything works out well.