Coping with the loss of a pet that is more like a family member.

annjean

We sadly lost our dog on Monday morning, Bindee was diagnosed with Lymphoma when she was 4 and as she was so young we decided to let her have treatment of chemo, she coped very well with it and was in remission for 7 months,every day was a blessing to have her around, the lymphoma reared it's ugly head and Bindee age 5 now put up a fight but was eventually beaten by it. How did others cope with losing their pet that they were so attached to, we do have another dog and 2 cats but Bindee was special feels like I have lost a child.DSC02125.jpgI am feeling so sad atm.

Gosh, I am sorry for you, we are going through something very similar, I have always felt that if mine was not a dog he would be human!

I guess I look at it like this, my life wouldnt have been half as good if I hadnt had my dog, I have (so far) given him a good life and as you say we enjoy every day

I know exactly how you feel, I would be the same

Pets eh!

Annjean I'm so sorry to hear that. We lost a cat a couple of years ago he was 19, that was hard I had him before my girls. He as the first present my oh bought for me even though he hated cats, and it does feel like you've lost a child we all broke our hearts. We bought a puppy a few months after, I hated not having a pet in the house. I still miss him though.xxxx

I think people that have animals will understand my feelings. I have never been in this situation before, I was one of these people that could not understand how people got so close to their pets... UNTIL I had my own, now I know.

My husband and I were both in tears yesterday.

Not silly at all, to us pet fans, they are just as important as any other member of the family

I dont mind telling everyone that I am not the emotional type, however, having received some bad news one day, the next day on the train to London I was such a wreck that I sat facing the door so so everyone wouldnt think I was some sort or emotional weirdo

I recall every moment, from him sleeping in my dressing gown arm as a pup to help him sleep, to fitting in my shirt pocket on drive to work, to more recently walking all night to find him in the dark (lost all night for the first time ever!)

Upshot of all this: I'm better off having known and kept him that not experience it all at

Well, thats my feeling anyway!

Yes we have been blessed to have had her, we went out to look for an outdoor setting didn't see what we liked so went to the pet shop instead and found Bindee there, once I held her I couldn't leave the shop without her so cost us a lot more than the outdoor setting in the end, but she was more fun than a set of table and chairs..

Yes we have been blessed to have had her, we went out to look for an outdoor setting didn't see what we liked so went to the pet shop instead and found Bindee there, once I held her I couldn't leave the shop without her so cost us a lot more than the outdoor setting in the end, but she was more fun than a set of table and chairs..

There you go, it was meant to be!...

I tell my little Albie every day that I love him, in between all the other conversations that we have lol. I know he cant speak but I swear he understands everything I say to him. Dogs are very special, like little guardian angels & best friends all rolled into one. Of course you're gonna be sad but smile and laugh lots when you remember the good, bad & funny times you had with him. xx

Aww I am so sorry.... It is very hard. We lost our beloved mimi (bischom frise) very unexpectedly after she picked up an illness (from a dog groomers I suspect) she suffered so much in such a short space of time that we had her put down :( for me it breaks my heart that she is gone but I find the guilt of making that decision very difficult to accept. We miss her lots xx

I had to make 'the choice' last year at the vets. I was in bits, not a great look. I still say "night Ty" in the kitchen where he used to sleep. We rescued him as a pup and had him since my wife and I bought our first house together...

I love the remember the memories thought/positivity. I hadn't thought like that before.

Annjean, pets become family members and become important in our lives. I've just spent a week in hospital and even though we have only had our puppy since Sept, she has been by my side all day every day since then, so I really really missed her, and she missed me, luckily the kids could come and see me, but Cara had to wait until I came home and to be honest I cried a bit when I came home and could cuddle her.

You will have to grieve for her and have good and bad days and you must realise you will burst into tears when you walk into a room and expect to see her there or do something that reminds you of her, unfortunately that is the downside of owning a pet, but the pleasure they give when they are with us is unbelievable. I do feel so sorry for your loss big cyber hug.

We lost our boxer dog last January, he was like our son (we have no kids). I felt like it was the end of a big era in my life, having had him for twelve amazing years. The first few weeks were hard as we settled into a new routine for the first time in all those years. silly things like not having to fill his water bowl up each morning got to me! Then we threw ourselves into planning to come out here, which we did in August for my husband and October for me. then when January hit, and it had been a year, I seemed to start grieving again, I think because we had started this new life without him, and I kept thinking how he would have loved it here on the beach. I still feel empty without a dog and long to get another soon. But what comforts me is the wonderful life we gave him, and the memories and love he gave us. I always say, if grief hits you hard, it's because you had so much love and joy in your life. So move through it at your own pace. and remind yourself that the pain you feel is because you were so blessed to have had her in your life. X

I can relate to all the above. My first dog that I had on my own out of the family home was my baby!! He would go everywhere with me, if he wasn't welcome then we wouldn't go haha! He was literally my best friend. He got a brain tumour and he couldn't be saved and his behaviour became aggressive so I kept him to myself until one day he attacked me....badly really. I had to put him to sleep out of his misery as it has affected him too much - I've never been so devastated and that was 5 years ago now and i still cry he was only 7 :( miss him everyday xx

Hugs for you its a hard time. We had a cat a huge big black thing called Taz he was 15 when the decision was made for him to cross the rainbow bridge. He had an over active thyroid. He had lost loads of weight we kept him going on tablets for 3 months he didnt gain an lb. So we had a lovely weekend with him in the garden sun shining etc and we dug his resting place. We are warped kept telling him it was his new home. We took him to the vet on the Monday and he fell asleep in my arms. Then the sobbing started and lasted for about a week. My friends in work made me a sympathy card for the Tuesday bless. We waited for 4 months then we adopted 2 ginger kittens from cat protection rescue in Bridgend and I paid £30 each for them - all for a good cause. Its a hard time. I dread to think what we will be like when Ebbz time comes. But I know within a month there will be another not to take her place but to find a place in our hearts. Time heals. Thinking of you xxx

That's a beautiful way of putting it and yes I know we loved her so much and did everything we could possibly do for her so I do know she was looked after till the end. We received a card today which nearly set me off again from the oncology unit where she had her chemo and the card had her paw prints inside and all the vets and nurses that looked after her signed the card. Such a lovely gesture from them.

So sorry for your loss... only who ever lost a beloved pet can understand how much it hurts... what

I think is if you gave them all the love and care they needed when they were here... that's all that you needed to do... they are special angels that will always be there for us! Hope you are ok xx