Puchasing Duty Free

zoe009

I am unsure of the duty free rules does anyone have experience : we depart from Manchester land in for our 3 hr stopover in Dubai then we board a different plane to Perth. I am little concerned if I buy my duty free alchol from Manchester I may get it conficasted when boarding the Dubai plane?

Were would you suggest I puchase duty free?

I am looking to buy Jack Daniels and Vodka, when I visited Perth previously I found it very expensive.

Do you know the price of JD and vodka in bottle shops?

You can bring 2.25 liters of booze per person. You can though only bring 50 cigarettes - two oz packs.

Dont buy electrical as expensive in DXB

Dont buy booze until you reach Dubai - it is cheaper and if it is in carry on luggage it will be confiscated in Dubai.

When you buy in Dubai, it will actually go in the hold with your check in and come out on the conveyor in Perth.

Thanks for the replies we will buy in Dubai and I will look at Dan Murpheys website.

I like my bargains but it wouldn't be a bargain of it was taken of me.

Another question it will be Sunday 8pm when we land in Dubai can you but alcohol on a Sunday in Dubai?

Would I also be best buying perfume from Dubai duty free?

I also have similar doubt. My flight is from Bengaluru - Malaysia - Perth. Should I buy booze in Bengaluru or in Malaysia? Will the Malaysian airlines allow me to carry? I am planning to buy Chivas Regal/.

I would buy in Malaysia unless you can put it in your check in luggage. The issue is you can not take more than 100ml of liquid in to the cabin

Dubai is not a dry country, they even sell pork at supermarkets.

And generally you can take duty free bottles in the cabin, they seal the bags at the DF shop and we don't let passengers to consume any alcohol purchased down on the ground. Most airports like Singapore, KL, Denpasar etc will hand in your duty free just before you board. They come to the gate and deliver your bags. So actually if you buy something from duty free, you cannot check it in any more.

Perth Duty Free is not so bad, they always have a bargain like "2 for 52" on Beefeater Gin, Jim Beam, Absolut (1 lt bottles). I always buy 2 bottles from one of these bargains (and enjoy my crew discount too :) ) They also sell little 250 ml bottles, coz your allowance is 2.25 lt. So I wouldn't stress too much about it, and just buy from Perth airport. You may end up forgetting your DF bags in the overhead lockers or somewhere on the way...

Have a safe flight :)

Dubai is not a dry country, they even sell pork at supermarkets.

And generally you can take duty free bottles in the cabin, they seal the bags at the DF shop and we don't let passengers to consume any alcohol purchased down on the ground. Most airports like Singapore, KL, Denpasar etc will hand in your duty free just before you board. They come to the gate and deliver your bags. So actually if you buy something from duty free, you cannot check it in any more.

Perth Duty Free is not so bad, they always have a bargain like "2 for 52" on Beefeater Gin, Jim Beam, Absolut (1 lt bottles). I always buy 2 bottles from one of these bargains (and enjoy my crew discount too :) ) They also sell little 250 ml bottles, coz your allowance is 2.25 lt. So I wouldn't stress too much about it, and just buy from Perth airport. You may end up forgetting your DF bags in the overhead lockers or somewhere on the way...

Have a safe flight :)

Been to Dubai a lot and most recently a couple of weeks ago. A alcohol was taken off people, boxed and put in hold.

That's new to me, thanks for clarification. I practically lived there until 3 years ago, I bought alcohol as passenger and we sold alcohol onboard too. Things change.

If that's the case I wouldn't bother buying from there...

Yeah, it used to be easy and just carry it on. Now, they put it in a box and put a customs seal on it with your name and flight number. Don't mind if i have checked bags as got to wait at the conveyor anyway. But, most of the time i only have carry on, so don't bother and either grab it in Perth or try to get before travel and check it in.

Yeah, it used to be easy and just carry it on. Now, they put it in a box and put a customs seal on it with your name and flight number. Don't mind if i have checked bags as got to wait at the conveyor anyway. But, most of the time i only have carry on, so don't bother and either grab it in Perth or try to get before travel and check it in.

I returned from Perth in January, on the way out I purchased duty free in Manchester I knew it would be packaged and given back to at the gate, the problem was the staff in Manchester put a pin point hole in the packaging to let the air out (kind I thought), before departing Abu Dhabi my duty free (£120 worth!!) was taken off me to be disposed in the liquids bin! or I could lose a piece of hand luggage and have it put in the hold - I chose the latter for transfer to Perth. Never had these problems travelling with emirates via Dubai, just a bit of a warning. Apparently even if the packaging is in tact this is their policy.