Any teachers out there?

Stuart Whelan

I'm a secondary school science teacher in Manchester and will be flying out to Perth with my family on July 21st. I have already registered with the TRBWA and I am now full on job hunting, if you're already out there and have any tips on how to secure my first post please get in touch. I'd love to hear from you.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I'm a primary teacher but currently working as a Year 7 teacher in a secondary school. We came over last August and. I did about 3 months supply ( called relief here) in local schools. As soon as you arrive go into your local schools and ask one of them to fill in your working with children form ( you get it from the post office) and then you can start straight away. I was lucky enough to get a great permanent job in a lovely school in January. It was advertised in the western australian paper on Saturdays. There do seem to be vacancies all the time for Maths and Science teachers. Jobs are advertised regularly but most begin around October/ November for the new school year. You may want to do the relief work until one comes up. On the other hand it doesn't hurt to do relief anyway as they'll get to know you and if you do a great job they'll offer you more. As for the paper check the independent schools websites ( AISWa) and get your name down on the different pools for teachers. I'm sure you can access this online but I'll check for you too. We you going to be based NOR or SOR. We're SOR and love it. Good luck, let me know if I can help : )

Hi Stuart.

My hubby Graham is a primary school teacher and we are hoping to head out in Sept- if our house sale goes through ok!

We're also from Manchester- Swinton.

Would be nice to keep in touch, let us know how you go on and take Aligard up on her offer of help, she's been a godsend for us!

Hi Aligard,

I am in contact with a local school so will arrange to complete my Working with Children Check with them as soon as I arrive, that is a great tip as I thought I was going to have to hold off until I achieved a position before I could complete the check. Is there any other paperwork you know of to get set up for relief teaching so that I can hit the ground running? Could you recommend an agency for relief teaching or should I just stick with the approach you suggested above, and contact my local schools directly?

I have also been onto The Western Australian Paper online and found all the jobs I was aware of and more! Another great tip so thank you again for that. I am looking forward to getting into a few school so that I can show them what I am all about, I just want to get in as soon as possible.

We will be based just NOR for our first 3 months and will move according to what work allows after that, the plan is to pick up a car ASAP to allow me to commute to the best opportunities. We're going to leave all our options open until I secure something good and we have a reliable income. Which school are you working at, I can keep an eye out if a relief role comes up.

Thank you again for the advice,

Stuart

Hi Cleowag,

It's nice to hear that there are others taking the jump, settles the nerves a little. Has Graham managed to secure a role or will he be looking into relief teaching too? We should definitely keep in touch, we'll be in Claremont until the end of September (we got a good deal on AIRBNB) until our container arrives and currently have no idea where to after that, all depends on work.

Good luck on the house sale, I hope it all goes through OK.

Stuart

Hi Stuart.

Graham is going to try relief teaching first- just to make sure it's not worse than the UK, before he tries to apply for anything.

We're heading to Mandurah as we really liked it when we visited last year.

That's a good tip for AIRBNB, we're starting to look at all these things now.

Good luck with it all.

Hi Stuart.

My hubby Graham is a primary school teacher and we are hoping to head out in Sept- if our house sale goes through ok!

We're also from Manchester- Swinton.

Would be nice to keep in touch, let us know how you go on and take Aligard up on her offer of help, she's been a godsend for us!

Oh thankyou, you too : ) fingers crossed for your house sale, hope it's going through okay! September not long now : )

Hi Stuart.

Graham is going to try relief teaching first- just to make sure it's not worse than the UK, before he tries to apply for anything.

We're heading to Mandurah as we really liked it when we visited last year.

That's a good tip for AIRBNB, we're starting to look at all these things now.

Good luck with it all.

Hi, we stayed at City Heart with Oz house rentals in Mandurah. It was great, really central you can walk to the foreshore. Owners live next door and are brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...

@stuart whelan and anyone else! Advice gratefully received!

I have to complete a statutory declaration to sign my copies. This is through Crimtrac which I am not familiar with, but it is as part of my teacher registration. My uncle qualifies to sign it which is handy! Does my uncle write this out for every bit of my ID evidence (100 point test - passport, driving license, addressed bills) or will one declaration be acceptable using the bullet points. It is quite wordy! This is different to the other statutory declarations that I have done previously. Please see below:

STATUTORY DECLARATION

Statutory Declarations Act 1959

I, [Name, address and occupation of person making the declaration] make the following declaration under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959:

1.[Set out matter declared to in numbered paragraphs]

I understand that a person who intentionally makes a false statement in a statutory declaration is guilty of an offence under section 11 of the Statutory Declarations Act 1959,and I believe that the statements in this declaration are true in every particular.

[Signature of person making the declaration]

Declared at[place]on[day]of[month][year]

Before me,

[Signature of person before whom the declaration is made]

[Full name, qualification and address of person before whom the declaration is made (in printed letters)]

Note 1:A person who intentionally makes a false statement in a statutory declaration is guilty of an offence, the punishment for which is imprisonment for a term of 4 years—see section 11 of the Statutory Declarations Act 1959.

Note 2:Chapter 2 of the Criminal Code applies to all offences against the Statutory Declarations Act 1959—see section 5A of the Statutory Declarations Act 1959.

Hi Ben,

I asked the TRBWA your questions directly and they said that every document had to be certified independently. I had previously used stickers which I had printed all the relevant details onto which meant that they just had to sign and date them (I used them for my AITSL skills assessment), however I was also told that this was a no go for CrimTrac. In the end I wrote everything out on each document and just asked the signatory to sign and date each one, a total pain I know but everything went through smoothly which was the main thing.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Stuart