renting a house in perth

hi peeps i know its still roughly 3 1/2 ,mnths before we arrive in perth but i was wondering if closer to the time if any rental properties -minimum 2 beds and got to be a bungalow - come available if you could give me a shout please .We are looking to pay 6 mnths in advance at 1200 au dollars a month and would be great if it was closish to be the beach .We are staying in a hotel for 5 days initially when we land but knowing where there are some suitable rentals straight away would be less time consuming , thanks

We are waiting until we get there to seek rental accommodation.... We have a fully furnished house for 8 weeks...and will go from there...think it would be hard to find permanent long term rental from the UK!!

i thought that but ive seen on some sites that they secured a rental property while still in the uk just prior to flying out , i also meant that if anyone on here hears of a rental property available a few days before we fly out then if they could give me the adress then as soon as we land we could go and have a look at it , after getting some shut eye of course lol

Advice

Do not try to rent without viewing property first

Reasons ...

You wont know the area, type of neighbours, type of street, whats in close by, defects of the property.... Scuffs marks, whatscworking whats not.

The ad pictures do not always potray actuality

Its hard to get out of a contract once signed.

You dont want your first few months to be more stressful than what they maybe

There are lotsof rentals compared to 4 years ago so no need to panic

i thought that but ive seen on some sites that they secured a rental property while still in the uk just prior to flying out , i also meant that if anyone on here hears of a rental property available a few days before we fly out then if they could give me the adress then as soon as we land we could go and have a look at it , after getting some shut eye of course lol

Hi Cammie, they are probably either holiday rentals or private. Any rentals through agents you normally have to have done a drive by or seen the property. We got a rental prior to our move, but it was a private holiday rental.

Also bear in mind that what looks good on the internet might be in an area you would never want to live in. Perhaps consider getting a short term holiday let for a month or two, and then take time to look around. Also it makes sense to live as close to where you work to save on commuting time and expenses. Perth is a very spread out metropolitan area, and believe me you do not want to live one side of the city and have work the other side. The Freeway is a car park for hours both ends of the working day.

thank you rossmoyne ill wait then till we land to look for a rental home maybe look for a holiday rental for a week or 2 after we leave the hotel so that will give us nearly 3 weeks to suss out the areas we would like to live in .What areas would people say are not so safe/friendly to live in please ?

thank you rossmoyne ill wait then till we land to look for a rental home maybe look for a holiday rental for a week or 2 after we leave the hotel so that will give us nearly 3 weeks to suss out the areas we would like to live in .What areas would people say are not so safe/friendly to live in please ?

Hi Cammie, are you going North or South of the river? Have you any idea where you want to go? When we arrived we had three weeks in a holiday let, this was to look for, in this order, Car, House and school. This sounds like long enough but we ended up having to leave our holiday rental as it was booked out and going to another for an extra week and a half because it wasn't long enough.

Finding where to live in a good school catchment area is actually quite difficult, then there is the choice of houses!! In our area there are currently over 100 empty rental houses!! When we first visited Perth 4 years ago you were lucky if there were 10 and about 20 people turned up to open homes and paid above the asking price.

You do really have to see a house in the flesh before signing to stay there for 6 - 12 months, the agent pictures will not show the bad bits, like if it backs onto the freeway or if the neighbours are running a car breakers on their front lawn. I may sound like im joking but we went to look at a house that looked fab in the pictures but the neighbours on both sides had what can only be described as old crap strewn across their front gardens, like bits of cars, bikes, old sofas etc we felt really sorry for the owner trying to rent but it was quite clear the neighbours weren't up to much.

Also, the letting agents are a bit sneaky, the pictures used to advertise the house we rent were clearly taken some years previously, this was obvious by the fact that some walls are now a different colour. So you cant always take the pictures you see on the net as gospel!

Hi Cammie, are you going North or South of the river? Have you any idea where you want to go? When we arrived we had three weeks in a holiday let, this was to look for, in this order, Car, House and school. This sounds like long enough but we ended up having to leave our holiday rental as it was booked out and going to another for an extra week and a half because it wasn't long enough.

Finding where to live in a good school catchment area is actually quite difficult, then there is the choice of houses!! In our area there are currently over 100 empty rental houses!! When we first visited Perth 4 years ago you were lucky if there were 10 and about 20 people turned up to open homes and paid above the asking price.

You do really have to see a house in the flesh before signing to stay there for 6 - 12 months, the agent pictures will not show the bad bits, like if it backs onto the freeway or if the neighbours are running a car breakers on their front lawn. I may sound like im joking but we went to look at a house that looked fab in the pictures but the neighbours on both sides had what can only be described as old crap strewn across their front gardens, like bits of cars, bikes, old sofas etc we felt really sorry for the owner trying to rent but it was quite clear the neighbours weren't up to much.

Also, the letting agents are a bit sneaky, the pictures used to advertise the house we rent were clearly taken some years previously, this was obvious by the fact that some walls are now a different colour. So you cant always take the pictures you see on the net as gospel!

So agree with all you say!

1200 au dollars a month and would be great if it was closish to be the beach.

Think you'll struggle, unless you are a fair way out from the CBD.

A mate is looking to rent a 2 bed place, and is looking over $400 a week minimum. More if it's near a beach or a train line.

I've seen lots if rental properties on Gumtree and letting agent websites fir $300 or less per week and quite a few of those are close to the beach so I think we'll find one with no trouble

But wait till you walk in the doors and see surrounding areas.........................................

I've seen lots if rental properties on Gumtree and letting agent websites fir $300 or less per week and quite a few of those are close to the beach so I think we'll find one with no trouble

You still haven't said where you are looking? There are lots of places cheap if you go further afield or further inland, but if a place is cheap in the Metro area theres something wrong with it!!

• 1 month later...

You could def get something nice for that nowadays. my friend just rented a lovely place in Wembley for $350/week....3 bedrooms, renovated place...There's so many rentals on the market now....prices are wayyyyy down.

• 1 month later...

Just be warned - every house you rent, the rental company will do their utmost best to claw back some of your deposit. We failed on every occasion to avoid this. We were warned about it - we didn't believe the people that told us. Rest assured, they will find every avenue to take your deposit. ("finger printes on toilet roll holder"). Nice place Perth - horrible rental companies.